who wants streaming video/audio to stop everytime they look away from the screen? not me...
    This is a feature called "Smart Stay". I believe this feature can be turned off in the settings menu for those who prefer not to use it.
    08-05-2013 05:03 AM
    Have you counted both up? You sound pretty confident. Don't forget, we're talking vanilla android. Not modifications like Sense or touchwiz.

And no, i'm not going to count them (even if I am a CPA..lol). I can list off many things android can't do or do nearly as well. I know it's easy to see that iOS doesn't have widgets, pull down settings (yet) or ability to customize (much). This can easily lead to the perception that android has more features or capabilities. As obvious as that is, it's just two or three features..

Hey, you can swipe your finger on an email to delete it. That's a feature right? iOS has tons of them. What about pressing the top bar to quickly scroll up? What about the bounce scrolling in iOS?

We're talking about numbers in the thousands then if we're to add up all these features. Have you done this for each OS?

I did see Google is still trying to catch up to Apple. Android gets a native phone finder service, finally | Ars Technica Here's their version of "find my iphone." And hey, lookie here, Google is going with its own "gamecenter" Google takes on Game Center with Google Play Games for Android - SomeDroid. How can this be? Where's the innovation? Stealing ideas from Apple? It's just disappointing right? Will android ever see 5.x? It's been what..a decade now stuck in the 4.x?

Google still has a long way to go to match Apple's features and capabilities. With iOS 7 announced, google has an even longer road to catch up. iOS 7 changes the game. I say the first sentence with confidence because they can't frankly. Google isn't set up to do what Apple can provide. And nope, acquiring Moto did nothing for them. See Moto X. Google can't even update their own phone directly which ships with an old version of android. That's google supposedly "redefining" android. That's innovation right?
    File browsers on my Nexus 4(stock) face recognition lock, photo spheres, much better inter app sharing.

The Moto X is a *Motorola* phone. Not a Google phone. If Google showed favouritism they would get sued for anti trust so they have to get Motorola to do it on there own, fail point.
    08-05-2013 05:10 AM
    quality not quantity. apple may be catching up to android when it comes to "features and capabilities", but andriod has a long way to go before it catches up with apple. a lot of androids "new features" are useless. who wants streaming video/audio to stop everytime they look away from the screen? not me...
    That's a Samsung feature.
    08-05-2013 05:11 AM
    File browsers on my Nexus 4(stock) face recognition lock, photo spheres, much better inter app sharing.

The Moto X is a *Motorola* phone. Not a Google phone. If Google showed favouritism they would get sued for anti trust so they have to get Motorola to do it on there own, fail point.
    Google owns Motorola so I'm not seeing your point. I think Google's intention in "redefining android" is just providing a real competitor to Samsung and getting a bit of control over it back. The Nexus brand IMO has always been more of having a developer device for google.
    08-05-2013 05:58 AM
    Google owns Motorola so I'm not seeing your point. I think Google's intention in "redefining android" is just providing a real competitor to Samsung and getting a bit of control over it back. The Nexus brand IMO has always been more of having a developer device for google.
    Maybe you missed the part where Motorola didn't work with Google(no where near enough) to make the Moto X.

EDIT: http://mobile.pcmag.com/#!/article/5...ew-nexus-phone
    08-05-2013 04:12 PM
    Maybe you missed the part where Motorola didn't work with Google(no where near enough) to make the Moto X.

EDIT: PCMAG
    Do you not know that Google OWNS Motorola's Cell phone division?
    08-05-2013 04:24 PM
    Do you not know that Google OWNS Motorola's Cell phone division?
    I do. Do you KNOW that Motorola is treated as a normal manufacturer? Read the link before commenting please:

"PCMag: Google has said repeatedly that Motorola is a totally separate company, though Motorola is now officially "a Google company." Were they truly hands off during the process?
    Clearly, we're part of Google. No uncertainty there. But we are also very separate from the Android team, and we're just like any other OEM in our interactions with them. And fundamentally, we don't get things like early access to software or anything like that. And that's really important for the Android ecosystem. But you know, as part of Google there are a lot of benefits that come with that. There are approximately 70 employees who at one point were working at Google and have come over and taken leadership positions at Motorola. We interact a lot with Google leadership, so clearly there is benefits to being part of a company with great talent and great resources. You can see some of the things that we're doing here, part of our strategy is to be a great showcase with our hardware for enhancing Google services and the user experiences associated with them. And touchless control and how it works with Google Now is one example like that."

-PC mag interviewing Motorola.
    08-05-2013 04:50 PM
    They can twaddle on all they want about Moto being "separate"... in the end, Google owns them - and they'll do what the Google bosses tell them they're to do. Anyone thinking anything else is naive.
    08-05-2013 04:54 PM
    They can twaddle on all they want about Moto being "separate"... in the end, Google owns them - and they'll do what the Google bosses tell them they're to do. Anyone thinking anything else is naive.
    Just gonna ignore the official statement from Motorola? Why cannot you admit you are wrong with your assumption.
    08-05-2013 05:00 PM
    Same here. I am waiting for Apple to show their stuff like they have done in the past. I admit, I am impressed with the new Nexus 7. However I have an apple ecosystem. Every Apple product that's out there I have. But I am impressed with the Nexus 7. Unless Apple comes out with an exciting Mini with high res, my old one might be off to Gazelle and my first Android purchased.
    08-06-2013 05:35 PM
    For some reason when I see pictures of the new Nexus 7, I don't even notice the the HD display, because my eyes just can't seem to get past the "huge" bezel that surrounds it.
    08-06-2013 05:46 PM
    I admit the ears on the Nexus 7 leave a lot to be desired. But that screen is really sweet.
    anon5664829 likes this.
    08-06-2013 05:48 PM
    Are you sure android is ahead features wise? Really sure? Like sure as in you'd bet your house on it?
    I take it you think iOS has more features than Android.

Out of curiosity what features do you think iOS has over Android?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2
    08-07-2013 01:30 AM
    I take it you think iOS has more features than Android.

Out of curiosity what features do you think iOS has over Android?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2
    App quality on tablets.

/end any point you try and make
    08-07-2013 01:34 AM
    App quality on tablets.

/end any point you try and make
    I wasn't trying to start an Apple/Android war. I was just curious what your thoughts were...any others?
    anon5664829 and Bekrah like this.
    08-07-2013 01:35 AM
    I wasn't trying to start an Apple/Android war. I was just curious what your thoughts were...any others?
    the aspect ratio is far more enjoyable to me.
    I find auto correct better then the stock Google one(I have swift key but a recent bug killed it for me)
    apps more visually appealing.
    Deep DEEP integration between my iPad 4, MacBook Pro and soon to be iPhone 5.
    Can't think of any others of the top of my head.
    08-07-2013 05:14 AM
    I would agree with him actually. This is coming from someone who has owned 3 android handsets plus a android tablet.
    Googles OS is no where near as stable as iOS nor can its tablet apps even compare to the quality of apps that are offered on iOS.
    08-08-2013 09:12 AM
    I would agree with him actually. This is coming from someone who has owned 3 android handsets plus a android tablet.
    Googles OS is no where near as stable as iOS nor can its tablet apps even compare to the quality of apps that are offered on iOS.
    Saying that 4.3 is just very stable on my Nexus 4.
    08-08-2013 08:43 PM
    The new Nexus 7 is nor buggy or unstable. You should seriously consider using one before making stupid assumptions.
    I'm revising my former opinion on this. So far the GPS and the multitouch problems on the new N7 have managed to occur often enough to make news on several websites now along with an acknowledgement from Google that they need to look into it. Personally I just exchanged mine today for the multitouch problem, set my new unit up a few min ago, and this one is screwed up too. Am I angry and frustrated and going to probably wait for the mini2 to come out this year? More than likely, yes.
    08-14-2013 05:27 PM
    I'm revising my former opinion on this. So far the GPS and the multitouch problems on the new N7 have managed to occur often enough to make news on several websites now along with an acknowledgement from Google that they need to look into it. Personally I just exchanged mine today for the multitouch problem, set my new unit up a few min ago, and this one is screwed up too. Am I angry and frustrated and going to probably wait for the mini2 to come out this year? More than likely, yes.
    You get issues like that with every device for example the scratches on the iPhone 5.
    08-15-2013 02:13 AM
    Clearly the 2013 N7's display is better than the 2012 iPad Mini's display.

Will that make a bunch of people switch? Unlikely. For now.

Does it nudge Apple into picking up its game on the screens of their next-gen iPad Mini? Definitely.

Me, I'm waiting till the fall. If a retina iPad Mini comes out, I'm buying it. If not, I either upgrade my iPad 2 to a retina iPad (refurbished 4 or new 5), or I look again at Android tablets. (I do own a 2012 N7. It runs nicely. It doesn't feel the same, but it isn't at all bad. Glad to have a cheap device that lets me try out all the new Android stuff.)
    anon5664829 likes this.
    08-15-2013 04:38 PM
    You get issues like that with every device for example the scratches on the iPhone 5.
    But we've been hit with 3 issues big enough to make the tech media along with their own large threads on Google support forums. Touch screen, GPS, and random reboots. I can't ever recall any iPhone or iPad release plagued by this many well publicized issues. Not even antennagate.
    08-16-2013 06:38 PM
    Anyway, the questions in this thread are trivial:

Yes, the 2013 Nexus 7 beats the pants off the 2012 iPad Mini in terms of screen resolution. No, that isn't going to make any of the iMore crowd switch small tablets -- most of us like Apple's products for other reasons.

[Am I going to buy an iPad Mini 2 this fall if it has a retina screen? You betcha. (May even get one without a retina screen -- the iPad 2 is feeling heavier and heavier...) And I'm looking forward to trying out Key Lime Pie on my 2012 Nexus 7.]
    08-16-2013 07:09 PM
    Things keep piling up more and more against the new Nexus 7 for me. I'm on my 3rd return now. I don't want to risk investing in a device that's got a bunch of now-public launch issues that I might eventually have to go through a snail mail Asus mail-in warranty issue over at some point when I know the Mini 2 is probably going to rival the 2013 N7's specs AND I'll be able to just drive on over to the Apple Store under warranty and have the guy simply grab me a brand new replacement off the shelf behind him if there's a warranty problem. Plus I also just found out about this:
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...ay-beware.html

Google had a real big chance to show that they can go toe to toe with iPads by launching a great spec tablet with software controlled directly by Google and top notch build quality, but Asus is blowing that for them once again.
    08-16-2013 09:02 PM
    I like all os' they all have there advantages/disadvantages. I'm browsing through this this thread cause I'm looking for something new to play with.
    I've got practically everything else but a mini.

only real problem ive had with androids is what just happened to Rule9 but with multiple devices and brands
    08-21-2013 12:08 AM
61 123