Hey Everyone,

I'm pretty new here, actually just to iMore, I tend to spend a lot of my forum time over on the BlackBerry equivalent. After the announcements of the PlayBook (Which many BlackBerry fans had inevitably predicted), I figured I would be better off getting a new tablet which would be continued to be supported. I initially didn't like the size of the iPad Series, which is why I went with the PlayBook in the first place, but since then times have changed and Apple introduced the iPad Mini.

Given the pretty bad timing, I'm just wondering would I be doing myself a disservice to go out and buy an iPad Mini right now. I'm hearing talks of the iPad Mini 2 with an A6 Processor and 1 GB of RAM coming this year in the fall and then another refresh coming sometime in 2014. Personally the whole Retina display thing doesn't really bother me on a Tablet, I can live with the current screen resolution so that's not a problem. Although I am kind of worried about the 512 MB RAM on the current generation iPad Mini (The whole PlayBook not getting BlackBerry 10 thing because of the 1 GB of RAM still kind of stings).

So to sum it all up, I was thinking of getting an iPad Mini but the problem is I don't know if I should wait a few months or if the current iPad Mini will get updated in the future. We pretty much know iOS 7 is guaranteed on the iPad Mini so that's a good sign.

Anyways, enough of my ramblings

Thanks in advance everyone
    07-18-2013 07:15 PM
    As stated in your introduction in another thread, welcome to iMore. I see by your username that you are a fan of the DragonBall, DragonBall Z & DragonBall GT series. You are not alone, my friend. I, too, am a fan, especially of DragonBall Z (The Cell Saga). As for your question regarding the iPad Mini, if you get the current version, know that it will get the new iOS 7 update when it is released as a finished product.
    07-18-2013 08:01 PM
    As stated in your introduction in another thread, welcome to iMore. I see by your username that you are a fan of the DragonBall, DragonBall Z & DragonBall GT series. You are not alone, my friend. I, too, am a fan, especially of DragonBall Z (The Cell Saga). As for your question regarding the iPad Mini, if you get the current version, know that it will get the new iOS 7 update when it is released as a finished product.
    Thanks JustMe'D the Dragonball Z series is awesome! I think my friends are sick and tired of me talking about it for the last *counts number of years* practically forever anyways I came across this thread here on iMore, http://forums.imore.com/ipad-mini/25...-mini-2-a.html

Seems like everyone has a slightly different opinion. I'm big on waiting for new product releases but I also realize if you want for the latest product you'll probably never end up buying a product because there's always one more. I work at a carrier store actually and we do carry both the iPad 4th generation and iPad Mini. I've played with the iPad 4th generation and it's pretty darn good. It's fast, it has the latest Apple hardware and basically its all around awesome I'd say. Too bad we don't have a display unit of the Mini for me to play with, but I suppose I could walk into Futureshop or Best Buy and fiddle around with one to see how the performance is like.

Also a quick question for you JustMe'D, I see that in your profile you've got an iPad 2. Correct me if I'm wrong but the iPad Mini is basically the iPad 2 internals (Minus the camera and lighting connector) in a smaller form factor right? If so, how do you find the iPad 2 to be preforming on iOS 6 thus far? Would you say the 512 MB of RAM is enough? Sorry for asking so many questions just want to be more informed from you guys, actual iPad users.

Thanks again Everyone
    07-18-2013 08:40 PM
    Thanks JustMe'D the Dragonball Z series is awesome! I think my friends are sick and tired of me talking about it for the last *counts number of years* practically forever anyways I came across this thread here on iMore, http://forums.imore.com/ipad-mini/25...-mini-2-a.html

Seems like everyone has a slightly different opinion. I'm big on waiting for new product releases but I also realize if you want for the latest product you'll probably never end up buying a product because there's always one more. I work at a carrier store actually and we do carry both the iPad 4th generation and iPad Mini. I've played with the iPad 4th generation and it's pretty darn good. It's fast, it has the latest Apple hardware and basically its all around awesome I'd say. Too bad we don't have a display unit of the Mini for me to play with, but I suppose I could walk into Futureshop or Best Buy and fiddle around with one to see how the performance is like.

Also a quick question for you JustMe'D, I see that in your profile you've got an iPad 2. Correct me if I'm wrong but the iPad Mini is basically the iPad 2 internals (Minus the camera and lighting connector) in a smaller form factor right? If so, how do you find the iPad 2 to be preforming on iOS 6 thus far? Would you say the 512 MB of RAM is enough? Sorry for asking so many questions just want to be more informed from you guys, actual iPad users.

Thanks again Everyone
    In regard to the iPad 2 & iPad Mini comparison, basically, you're right. In regard to how the iPad 2 performs with iOS 6, specifically 6.1.3, it performs very well. No hiccups or stutters and the interface is as smooth as when I purchased it a couple of years back. Anyway, because it is primarily used by my youngest son for games, and I'm always installing a game and then deleting it when he finds he doesn't like it, I put the device in DFU mode every few months and restore it as new.
    07-18-2013 09:00 PM
    If we can assume that a new mini will be released annually, I would personally hold out for the next couple of months. I am totally happy with my mini's performance but I bought mine shortly after the release so it wouldn't have made sense to wait 10-11 months lol. If I was in the market and an assumed release date was close by I think it's smarter to wait and see what the specs are and you can either have the latest and the greatest for the same price or have an awesome piece of technology at a nice discount with the previous model. Good luck with whatever you choose, I love my mini!
    07-18-2013 11:52 PM
    If we can assume that a new mini will be released annually, I would personally hold out for the next couple of months. I am totally happy with my mini's performance but I bought mine shortly after the release so it wouldn't have made sense to wait 10-11 months lol. If I was in the market and an assumed release date was close by I think it's smarter to wait and see what the specs are and you can either have the latest and the greatest for the same price or have an awesome piece of technology at a nice discount with the previous model. Good luck with whatever you choose, I love my mini!
    Well, after thinking about it, I figure if the new iPad Mini will come out this year in the Fall around September to October or so, It would probably be a better idea to wait it out.
    07-19-2013 10:19 PM