Can I use my ipad Mini as a hotspot?

Michelle Sollicito

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I keep getting different answers to the question "Can I use my ipad Mini as a hotspot?" What I really want to do is to be able to use my ipad Mini has a hotspot so that wherever I go, it can get on the internet, and so can my pc and my iphone (I also have another ipad, but that is not so important). What is the big deal? It is 4g enabled, so it should be able to do it right? My iphone could do it, so why can't my ipad mini? I thought this would be straightforward but AT&T customer service went from saying yes to no to only if I tether it via my iphone. I do not want my iphone running my wifi network: I use it in case of emergencies so I do not want it running out of batteries. Whereas if my ipad ran out of batteries its not a big deal. Why cant I do what I want? I am pretty sure I can do this on Verizon?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I do not have an iPad mini, but do you have the "personal hotspot" option on the device? Setting-Personal Hotspot or Settings-General-Cellular-Personal Hotspot? If so, and I could be wrong, you should be able to turn it on and go from there.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
One thing to consider. During an emergency you might not have 4G as well. But on your online account you have to add hotspot to the device. Should run you around $10 a month. You will not be able to toggle hotspot on until that is added.

For something cheaper, why not look into a battery pack case. Cheaper in the long run and no monthly fee. Now that is if you can get connection during in emergency.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
You will have "hotspot" of you have the apprporiate data plan. I have my At&t mini on my At&t shared data plan. That plan gives me the hotspot feature. I love it. I use the hotspot feature for my Mac or to load betas on my iPhone 5 while I am at the office.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
You will have "hotspot" of you have the apprporiate data plan. I have my At&t mini on my At&t shared data plan. That plan gives me the hotspot feature. I love it. I use the hotspot feature for my Mac or to load betas on my iPhone 5 while I am at the office.

I'm not sure about att but on my Verizon. Ipad 4 I do pre paid and use hot spot .. I just used it actually yesterday to load beta 4 also.

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure about att but on my Verizon. Ipad 4 I do pre paid and use hot spot .. I just used it actually yesterday to load beta 4 also.

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

With At&t prepaid, you only get the hotspot feature on the $50 5GB plan. None of the plans lower you get it. It's either the $50 prepaid or the shared data to get hotspot. No other choices.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner