Are you happy with the screen?

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I have a mini and an iPad 3. I use the mini more. The non-retina doesn't bother me. I would upgrade to a retina mini though if they can do it without changing the form factor. The mini is just right for lugging around in my purse.

anthony81586

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Not happy with the screen. You just learn to tolerate it though. The form factor is so much better.

What about the screen are you not happy about? What device are you coming from? Finally, is the form factor improvement more important to you than a cleaner screen?

Just wondering because I have an ipad 2 which I still enjoy but I'm looking to upgrade either to a mini or retina ipad. Thanks.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

bsmithphoto13

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
The screen on the mini is fine for me. I actually threw an anti glare screen protector on mine... I know it makes the screen even less sharp but it does wonders with finger prints and glare

localhost8080

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
lol, the are loads of these 'are you happy with your device' posts :)

I had the ipad1
my dad has an ipad3
I have an ipad mini.

I got the mini because holding the bigger ipads in one hand for more than 15 mins gets to be a strain.
ipad mini is much better to hold in one hand.

performance us fine, I use mine to read books and post on forums :D

j_benj

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
The vast majority of the time I don't notice that the display is non-retina. I guess I've been staring at non-retina resolution screens for so many years that my eyes really don't care. In fact, every screen I look at during the day with the exception of my iPhone 5 is non-retina :)

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I have both a iPad 4th Gen and an iPad mini. I prefer the mini more because of its easier portability and easier to hold. As a matter of fact, the only time I even use my iPad 4 is to download movies onto it and stream to my Apple TV since I have the 128GB version. Now if Apple makes a mini with Retina and with 128gb+ storage, then I'm putting BOTH devices up and using that.

Supercali

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I've always chosen a high resolution screen on laptops going back to Thinkpad T43p, r50p, T60p and I still own one. 1900x1200 screen of IPS heaven on a matte screen, too bad Lenovo discontinued making them. I jumped on the 3 from the ipad 1 when it was announced, now I have the 4, and I can't see myself going back to a low res ipad screen, notwithstanding the Mini's versatility. In the next few months or so, there will be an ipad 5 closer to the size of the mini (trimmer bezel) AND a Mini with a retina display (maybe in the 3rd version). Now that would be a difficult choice.

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I moved from an iPad2 to my mini, that was a definite step up back then, and I am still more than content with the screen. I remember sighing whenever I switched from my retina iphone to the ipad2 screen, took me a few minutes to adjust my eyes. Today, that's really not an issue for my eyes with the Mini, clearly the resolution is just fine. In combination with the extra space, the Mini screen is always my first choice. Having said that, IF apple were to release a Mini2 with sharp retina display and still retain its form/thinness, i would probably have to have a really hard think... sounds very tempting after all.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm new to the iPad, but picked up the iPad 4, and have to say its great. The retina display is the best, pictures are awesome and speed Is amazing.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Last week I decided to give the iPad 4 another shot due to the nice retina display so I purchased one from Apple. Only took one day for me to realize that I preferred the smaller size of my iPad Mini over the larger and much heavier iPad 4. While the retina display is definitely nice on the iPad 4, I know that I can wait for the iPad 2 with retina.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk 2

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I am totally happy with my mini's screen. Maybe it is just my eyesight, but I honestly don't notice a huge difference between the retina displays and the non-retina displays. The first time I noticed this was when I was looking at purchasing an iPad 3 at launch and though my best buy store was sold out they did have a display model right next to the iPad 2 and I didn't see a huge difference. I just purchased a MBP and again the models were right next to each other and *I personally* did not notice that much of a difference to warrant the price difference. I'm not saying there isn't a difference and for some things possibly a noticeable one but most people that are like "oh my eyes" are just being ridiculous lol.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I am totally happy with my mini's screen. Maybe it is just my eyesight, but I honestly don't notice a huge difference between the retina displays and the non-retina displays. The first time I noticed this was when I was looking at purchasing an iPad 3 at launch and though my best buy store was sold out they did have a display model right next to the iPad 2 and I didn't see a huge difference. I just purchased a MBP and again the models were right next to each other and *I personally* did not notice that much of a difference to warrant the price difference. I'm not saying there isn't a difference and for some things possibly a noticeable one but most people that are like "oh my eyes" are just being ridiculous lol.

Rene Ritchie put it best. It's "sandpaper on my eyes" when looking at non-retina. The difference to me is so huge
that it's just intolerable. It's not just text that looks better to me on retina. It's the way the colors are so much more
vibrant. I think I became a retina snob not because of the iPhone, but because I was using an iPad 3 for 6 months
before the Mini came out. I just became way too accustomed to it. I really want to tolerate it but I just can't lol

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Maybe if I used it consistently and switched to something else it would bother me but as of now it's not a big deal. If I ever get a regular iPad and use it all the time and then pick up my mini I might be singing a different tune lol but just during quick side by sides it's not a huge thing for me. I still think sandpaper on my eyes is a little overkill even if you think there is a huge difference in the displays haha, but that's just me!

Rene Ritchie put it best. It's "sandpaper on my eyes" when looking at non-retina. The difference to me is so huge
that it's just intolerable. It's not just text that looks better to me on retina. It's the way the colors are so much more
vibrant. I think I became a retina snob not because of the iPhone, but because I was using an iPad 3 for 6 months
before the Mini came out. I just became way too accustomed to it. I really want to tolerate it but I just can't lol

Ruslan1011

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
When I'm using the iPad with it on my desk I honestly can't tell that it's non retina, even with my glasses on. The only time it bothers me is trying to read small text on a PC optimised site in portrait. In landscape it's totally readable too. I prefer the performance and battery life of a lower res screen over the visual increase to be honest.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro