I picked up my first iPad yesterday, decided on the mini due to the form factor as coming from a playbook the full size iPad seems too big for carrying around every day (might as well just get a laptop or netbook for me).

Anyway before purchasing I read loads of reviews and the screen always seems to take a bashing for being too pixelated. 24 hours in I really can't see what the fuss is about... Maybe my eyesight is naff, but I can't see any pixels until I get the thing 6" from my face which I'd hardly ever do in normal use. I read a few chapters of a book on it last night without any issues so I'm really struggling to see the supposedly fatal flaw...

Someone I work with has one of the 4th gen models with the all singing all dancing cellular built in, and while the screen is better, I wouldn't say the mini is doa just because it doesn't have the extra resolution.

Just thought I'd pitch in with that anyway in case someone else is in the same boat and wondering if the mini is any good. If in doubt give one a go in the shop first but I can't fault it so far
    Alli, Just_Me_D and Yptcn like this.
    04-04-2013 03:00 AM
    I'm with you on that. I don't see a difference between retina and non retina.
    Donnee, Yptcn, albertemmer and 1 others like this.
    04-04-2013 07:48 AM
    I'm with you on that. I don't see a difference between retina and non retina.
    neither do I

all thou the iphone 5 screen is better than my pre2 its not any more brilliant than my Touchpad
    04-04-2013 08:34 AM
    I can see the difference but it is negligible to me. I think it's most apparent when looking at images. I have the iPod touch 5g with retina display and my mobile phone (galaxy note) has a 720p display but I really don't have a problem with the iPad mini's display at all. I've not compared the iPad with retina and the iPad mini directly. I did compare it to a nexus 7 and a galaxy tab 2. Both have 720p displays but I couldn't really see much difference.
    04-04-2013 09:26 AM
    iPad retina and Mini side by side I was able to notice a big difference. Which made me go with a New iPad with Retina over the holidays...

Text more crisp and images by far the best on the Retina.
    04-04-2013 09:43 AM
    My mother has the retina iPad 3. I had the non retina 2. We sat side by side for an hour viewing the same hd images and could not discern a difference. People told us it's especially noticeable when you zoom in on fonts - but we couldn't see it there either.
    04-04-2013 12:38 PM
    Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying there's no difference, the retina is definitely clearer and it seems to have better contrast (unless its just my eyes). I guess what I'm saying is just because retina is awesome doesn't mean the mini isn't. If I had both it might be more obvious I suppose but ignorance is bliss at the moment

Saying that if I end up with an iPhone come contract renewal time it might be a different story
    Fausty82 and dirvin like this.
    04-04-2013 12:41 PM
    I had the retina iPad 3 and went to the mini and yes, there was a noticeable difference at first but now I can hardly tell. I mucky prefer my mini; light, easy to take with me, easy to type in portrait. Now don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind a retina mini, but for now, I feel good about my choice.

iPhone 5 ✲ iPad Mini GSM ✲ Macbook Pro running Lion 10.8.2 ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!
    Donnee and Fausty82 like this.
    04-04-2013 02:50 PM
    I don't notice much difference between retina or non-retina devices. The majority of the difference is in the user's mind when they hear "retina" display. Physics has proven it over and over that while retina displays are nice, people don't notice much of a difference between that and another high quality display, like in the mini, during normal use.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5
    Donnee likes this.
    04-04-2013 06:16 PM
    I have no problems taking the mini but the difference is obvious to me. I do read a lot on it though.
    04-04-2013 11:42 PM
    While its clearly obvious that the mini's display has less ppi than the iphone 5 or ipad 3/4, 99.9% of people who use their mini just like they would an iPad 4 on a daily basis won't even notice one bit.

Compared to my fianc's iPad 4 the difference is so minimal that I'm glad I got the mini. The form factor of it easily trumps the lack of retina display.

However, her opinion is the exact opposite hahahaha.
    Alli likes this.
    04-05-2013 01:26 AM
    i had no problem when i bough the Mini. I do a lot of gaming on my Retina Display MacBook, but that's a different story. Comparing it to the iPhone 5, i have noticed the Mini's screen slightly dimmer, and not as vibrant as the 5, but i have no problems with that. The Mini's screen is still sharp considering its an Apple device
    05-05-2013 09:40 AM
    I don't notice much difference between retina or non-retina devices. The majority of the difference is in the user's mind when they hear "retina" display. Physics has proven it over and over that while retina displays are nice, people don't notice much of a difference between that and another high quality display, like in the mini, during normal use.
    I don't think that's necessarily true. Depends on what you define as "normal use." You won't see much of a difference when viewing pictures or movies. But the difference becomes immediately noticeable when you're reading something text-heavy. I use my iPad to read newspapers or Kindle books during my commute, and you can very quickly how pixelated texts are even at the smallest font settings. (And I don't even have that great of an eyesight.) I kept the Mini because of the form factor, but the ppi difference is very very obvious if you do a lot of reading on it.(And a lot of people do)
    05-08-2013 10:05 PM