Having iPad mini AND iPhone 5? Worth it?

geetooeasy

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I really think apple did a good job with the Mini, it fits perfectly in my bag. I just wish there was a nice keyboard so that it is more functional.

t3ddie

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I just got my mini last sunday and I'm very happy about it. I also have an iphone 5 and macbook pro but the mini is so much easier to take with you on a holiday instead of taking your laptop with you

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I have an Mac Air 11", an iPhone 4 and an iPad 2.

I bought the Air after the iPad and in many ways, it replaces it as my daily mobile device, close in size and weight. And my iPhone (whether it be a 4 or an upgrade to a 5) remains pretty much for me a PDA with a few time wasters on it and a phone. Frankly, the screen on both just too unnecessarily squinty for older, more tired eyes. That all said, I have been been looking at the Mini as a more mobile replacement to the iPad. I just wish the whole device was a little narrower (dare I say on this Forum, like a Nexus) and /or - given how I use both my iPhone and iPad - that the iPhone 6 will be a phablet.

blessed2bamommie

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I just got a 5 and I've been having mini thoughts. Thinking with small children it might be a more Mama friendly with one hand & multitasking device.

thatgirl87

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Your MacBook and iPhone is good enough. You don't need an iPad. It's just an oversized iPod Touch. It does everything an iPhone does. You can actually use an iPad/iPod Touch as a phone with phone calling apps. That's just my opinion, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onsenk

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
This is a great question, especially as Apple keeps diversifying its product line. I have an iPhone 5 and an iPad 2. I'd like to go for an iPad mini after the next refresh, but I also have an 11 inch MacBook Air, which makes it even more complicated for me. Spoiled for choice, I guess.

blessed2bamommie

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Id like one after the refresh too. Rumor has it it will get retina. Then there are the rumors about the bigger iPhone screen and so Im like will it end up being a phablet?

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
If the iPhone 6/5S is a phablet, things will be even more complicated.

Clarify 'complicated'.

Complicated because we'll be spoiled for choice?
Complicated because Apple will need to revisit scaling of apps - though the iPhone 5 is already closer to 16:9 then the 4:3 of the iPads?
Complicated because that might cannibalize iPads as stand-alone devices as some users buy only one iDevice - and Apple would hate that?
Something else?

I had the opportunity again yesterday to handle a Galaxy Note II (with it's 5.5" screen) and I thought, "Yeah, given the stuff I really use my iPad - and iPhone - for, this could work". The only real drawback I could see is the use of apps as one does on an iPad would be a hit on the battery, and thus, the usefulness of the phone when required - but I guess that's already an issue for some on the iPhone, as users use it for anything but that. And a bigger phablet should allow for more battery, so.....?

But to make reference back to the reason of this thread - if Apple released a phablet, having a Mini and an iPhone would be unnecessary for some.

onsenk

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Clarify 'complicated'.

I meant from a consumer standpoint - but your other points are also valid.

When I had my for 4S, buying a full-size iPad was not an issue. But I also have an 11 inch MacBook Air. The iPad mini is a great product, which is perfect for a lot of people, but by introducing it, Apple has definitely caused some people to hesitate. For instance, if there was no iPod mini, I suspect that the thread originator would simply buy a full sized iPad without considering it too much.

grassyblue

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I had the opportunity again yesterday to handle a Galaxy Note II (with it's 5.5" screen) and I thought, "Yeah, given the stuff I really use my iPad - and iPhone - for, this could work". The only real drawback I could see is the use of apps as one does on an iPad would be a hit on the battery, and thus, the usefulness of the phone when required - but I guess that's already an issue for some on the iPhone, as users use it for anything but that. And a bigger phablet should allow for more battery, so.....?

See, that's what I thought too. "hey, maybe a 5.5" phone will be everything I need." So I got one. And I returned it. Aside from the issue of having to rebuy a lot of apps for Android, I quickly realized that 5.5" was too much of an in between size. The mini is perfect for what I do on tablets (mostly reading). I don't think it's redundant with the iPhone at all for that reason.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal