Is the iPad Mini worth it if you have the iPad 3

Jake90087

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I bought an iPad mini and got rid of it because of the screen. It doesn't work for me, I prefer the bigger screen and am fine holding it. I know my girlfriend much prefers it due to the purseability and she has smaller hands than I. But the retina display is all that for me. Especially watching video and browsing sites like The Verge. Wait until a retina display comes to the mini. the iPad 3 is still a great tablet.

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I just bought my iPad 3 on Craigslist about a week ago. Its awesome, but I can't help but to think I should have stuck with my oiginal plan to buy an iPad mini. I had a Nexus 7 and really liked the size. I use my tablet a lot for reading. I also like to have it with me every day. I can carry the iPad 3 in my purse easy enough, but I find myself hesitant to take it out and use it in situations that I previously had used my Nexus 7. Waiting for the bus, for example. If I'm on my lunch break and take out my iPad to read thats one thing, but stuff like waiting in line for the bus or at the bank, etc., the iPad 3 seems a little unwieldly in those situations. I'm debating if I should just go out and get the mini and keep both, or not get the mini at all, or sell the 3 and get the mini... Ugh! I could probably do a "trade in" but I hate to lose money on an iPad I just bought a week ago. I really want both but I can't really justify spending $1000 on iPads within a week. LOL!

anon(62000)

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I didn't think that the mini would be as useful to me, compared to the full sized iPad. Turns out, it's the perfect size. Glad I bought it. Gave the other iPad to my wife.

Palasek

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I have the iPad 3 and iPad Mini. I got used to the non-retina screen quick and it doesn't even bother me now. I use my iPad Mini 95% of the time since its size and weight is so comfortable. I probably will stick with the iPad Mini for all future upgrades.

nat750

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
I've switched from iPad 4 32gb Wifi to iPad Mini 64gb + 4g so there's the first advantage there price wise. It took me all of the 1 day to adapt to the mini & carry on using the iPad as I always have but now having more portability. I still have my iPad 4 for the time being (it's up for sale) & when I grabbed it the other day it felt huge & heavy. I feel after a couple if upgrades the iPad mini will be the biggest seller out the two. I think for now some people daren't make the 'Downgrade' to it but I'm really happy with it plus I've doubled my storage & got 4g which I couldn't have stretched to price wise with the iPad 4.

Matador

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I have the iPad 3 and just picked up a mini yesterday. The iPad will stay home and the Mini will come with me on the road. I came from a Playbook and I really liked the size of it but hated everything else.....now I have the best of both worlds! It fits in my jacket and is a lot lighter....way more portable. This is exactly what i was looking for. I would have rather had an LTE but I couldnt justify paying that much more LTE when I can just tether of my iphone 5.

TejasBH

Banned
Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Define "Apple grade".

I'm not impressed with the battery, display nor the processor. It doesn't bring anything new to the table over the iPad 3 besides size. Apple grade would be a high-quality display and something new with the hardware. Both are missing on the iPad mini.

Matador

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm not impressed with the battery, display nor the processor. It doesn't bring anything new to the table over the iPad 3 besides size. Apple grade would be a high-quality display and something new with the hardware. Both are missing on the iPad mini.

I agree it's not the iPad3 but do you really need Retina on a screen that size? Sure it would be nice...but it's not necessary. Faster processor? it's fast enough for what most people will use it for.

https://www.apple.com/ca/ipad/compare/#mn_p

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Your definition of Apple grade seems to be more about personal preference. People wanted a smaller designed iPad for a reasonable price and Apple introduced the mini to them and sales are through the roof. I haven't come across widespread news coverage of people showing disdain for the iPad Mini and calling it less than Apple grade, but I have seen coverage of how it has possibly cannibalizes the full sized iPad. Even in this very thread, you can read about people suggesting to the OP to get the mini. Still, not everyone likes it. As I've stated many times before, that's why we have choices. Anyway, thanks for the reply and have a great day...:)

TejasBH

Banned
Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

To the OP, smaller houses smaller living rooms smaller displays. You get the flow. If you can afford to get the iPad 3, I suggest you do since the iPad Mini does not feel as durable as the iPad 3 nor is it as well designed as the iPad 3.

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I love the ipad mini, it's about perfect size. With that said it does need a better processor and better display. With both of them, I wouldn't even look at another tablet.

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Sticking to the OP question no, I don't justify having both iPads (and less if you have an iPhone). I have a 3, got a mini as a gift for my brother and iPhone 5 and an iPod touch.
Was very reluctant of the mini initially I've been playing with it for the last 2 weeks, have to admit that the form factor is great, a lot more portable than the 3 and all, but yes lack of retina is something I notice, still for taking notes, reading, pdf marking and such I prefer the 3 a lot more since I can cover more of the screen also while web browsing (I find myself zooming a lot more in the mini) I still can carry the 3 on my purse or backpack with no problem since I'm not on the go all the time.

Besides both devices are basically iPads, it's not justified from my point of view, get one or the other and put that extra money somewhere else.

But I can see myself in the future getting a mini (specially if it comes with retina) when my settings change and I have to be back running from one place to another.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
It all depends on what you want. If you want the larger screen, faster processor, and retina display, stick to the iPad 3. If you want a smaller screen, slower processing, and standard definition screen, get the mini.

As far as having both, I can see it if there are multiple parties using them, but for one person, I don't see a need. I personally use the full size iPad right now while I wait for a mini with a faster processor. I think the mini is plenty big enough for iPad tasks, but I can't justify buying a slower iPad when the full size is faster. Hopefully this will change when the mini 2 is announced this year.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I've had my iPad mini about a week now and I love it! There are some things I prefer to use the iPad mini for-- I take it with me every day since it fits so nicely in my purse and is so light. I use it for "on-the-go" surfing, email, movie/tv watching, and I use it for reading books (I prefer to read books on the mini even when I'm at home and have the iPad 3 at my disposal). There are some things I prefer to use my iPad 3 for-- If I'm going to surf or watch TV/movies AT HOME I will default to the iPad 3. I wasn't intending to keep the iPad 3 after purchasing the mini but I just can't seem to part with it. I'm glad I have both.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox