Is the iPad Mini worth it if you have the iPad 3

bgesullo

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Not worth it. I was in the same boat as you and the screen real estate is just perfect for what I use the ipad for.

If you have the iPhone 5, ipad 3 is perfect. The mini sits too much in between too have all three. If you didn't have an iphone 5 and had the iPhone 4/s the ipad mini would of made more sense. Leave the ipad 3 for home/work, use i4 as you do normally, and carry the ipad mini around.

Also not sure where you live but carrying an ipad mini during winter might be easy as you can put it in your jacket/coat but come summer time where is it gonna go? Your back pocket?

I used to do that with the Galaxy Tab 7" but it got old quick and the screen size gets annoying fast as well. Constantly have to zoom in.

Most of the time my iPad is in my laptop bag. I usually don't carry my iPad unless I have a bag of some sort to carry it around. It's too big to just be carrying it around.

rion_j

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
something to consider if your waiting for retina ipad mini: There is NO guarantee a retina mini will be the same weight and form factor as the non retina mini. If you compare the ipad 2 to the ipad 3 & 4 w/ retina, there is a difference is weight which is noticeable. i've had every ipad and hope to get the mini for christmas because of the size, battery life and how much lighter and thin it is compared to the ipad 4. i also mostly use my ipad for gaming, so the mini will be perfect!

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
If you're looking to have both then maybe depending on what you want with it. If you would be getting rid of the ipad 3 to get it I would say it would be a bad idea. Not only is the ipad 3 a better spec'd tablet it was also more expensive and you would probably be out some money. I think the mini is great but I find it out that all everyone said was the ipad 3 was so awesome because of retina display and know to a lot they don't care anymore, it is kind of confusing.

If you could sell the ipad 3 for a really good price then it might be alright because I know a lot of people prefer the mini's size, I personally do.

I agree that the 3 has better specs and selling it would mean a financial loss. It's for the $$ loss that I still have my 3. The mini is so much lighter and easier to hold that I would dump the 3 in a second if I thought I could get enough for it.
I would bet that many who have tried the mini feel the same way.

Loony4Fruit

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I sold my 3 and my 2. Picked up the mini instead. Not at all bothered by the lack of a retina display. The smaller screen means the pixels are packed in tighter. The size is just perfect, in my opinion. So much easier to use than the retina display ipad.

HarryStamper

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I think it's worth it, we have a 4th gen and a mini. I take the mini to work I use it on the train
It's terrific for travel, but I love my 4th gen at night.

jonathan2677

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I own a ipad4 and a mini they are my first iPads I own I originally bought me the4 and my son the mini,then he decided he wanted to return his mini and get a Xbox rather than doing that I kept it and bought him his Xbox ,I love having both the mini feels great, I carry it everywhere when I'm home it's ipad4 all the way the screen is a diff but if you use it normally without focusing on it , it's not that bad, as far as processor I don't notice a diff, my wifi is better on my 4 but there two diff animals and if you can afford to own both go for it, as far as mini with retina I'm not so sure it's coming I'm not sure it's not but I wouldn't count on it, I know reliable sources guarantee a ipad 5 with outsides to be more like a mini and be thinner and lighter I also know of a iphone5s both of those are slated to be released in the first half of 2013 but as of know the mini with retina is a rumor started by consumers who think it should have it but that would completely change the price point and size but who knows they might do it , I just wouldn't hold my breath

Sent from my iPad 4 using Tapatalk HD

CairnsRock

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
iOS must be really nimble as it appears to manage very well with the .5gb processor on the mini and the 1gb on the iPad 3. Other tabs are 1.5gb on Droid and huff and puff. Just shows, it's not all about specs.

Mini for mobility and home.
iPad 4 for home only.

iMO

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I agree with all who abandoned iPad 3 in favor of mini. I sold the 3 -yes, at a loss, but for me it was worth it. The added value of taking mini literally everywhere more than offsets any "loss" from dumping the 3. The mini I use has more value for $$ than an iPad 3 just sitting there.

bgesullo

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I agree with all who abandoned iPad 3 in favor of mini. I sold the 3 -yes, at a loss, but for me it was worth it. The added value of taking mini literally everywhere more than offsets any "loss" from dumping the 3. The mini I use has more value for $$ than an iPad 3 just sitting there.

Yeah I see your point there. For me having a iPhone 5 and the iPad 3 fine for now. I use my iPad as a business / media device so having that extra screen size is perfect for me. The mini does look very nice. Very tempting to get lol

angermeans

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
So after owning the 13"rMBP, 3rd gen iPad, and iPhone 5 I thought I couldn't do without the retina display. I got one for my wife and I have to say I use the mini more than my 3rd gen iPad. The screen does bother me, but the smaller footprint and accessibility makes it the better device.

Thanks to iMore and Givit I just won the iPad Mini contest so I will be enjoying mine soon enough. I'm so excited I can hardly stand it. As far as dumping my 3rd gen iPad I honestly can't tell you as I love the display and for certain things like my college classes (using the wonderful app Notability) the larger iPad is the better choice.

Apple did an excellent job of making the mini and making sure that it was a valid option to the iPad not just a cheaper smaller cousin if you will. They both have their draws. If I was to place a bet I would bet we won't see a retina mini for at least a couple years. The technology is just not there yet. Apple always uses the same equation for retina (even kind of did on the iPhone 5 by just making it larger and not wider). If they did this it would have the same resolution as the 3rd and 4th gen iPad and at the smaller size it would have an amazing ppi. Apple has to keep people into spending more money and making - $329 iPad mini have the best display of the iPad family really makes no sense unless they do a 3X or even better 4X jump to the 2X both directions in pixels they do now. I think we are more apt to see an iPad mini S (if you will) in 2013 with an A6, 1Gb or RAM etc with no retina. It just doesn't make sense and Apple won't make it's huge margins that it makes sure they always have on their iOS equipped devices. Just my theory. I've been wrong before.

bgesullo

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Wish I was getting the iPad mini from a contest! I am still debating though. I've been using my PlayBook more than my iPad because of the form factor. I need to go to the apple store and play with one more. I do love the retina display on my iPad 3

bgesullo

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Wish I was getting the iPad mini from a contest! I am still debating though. I've been using my PlayBook more than my iPad because of the form factor. I need to go to the apple store and play with one more. I do love the retina display on my iPad 3

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2