ipad mini for kid? Not so fast..

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Kindle FreeTime Unlimited

That's got me rethinking ipad mini for the kiddo. It's not so much the apps & games. I got those for iOS. But the books, especially childrens, can be costly and this gives access to thousands supposedly. With parental controls baked in, if I only want my daughter reading books, I can do this. No in-app purchases or ads to worry about.

It's compelling enough for me to get a Fire HD for her instead now.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Even without that, which is pretty cool, I've agreed with that from the start. For the device price, you're better off giving a child a Kindle. They can put all their textbooks on it, their summer reading, and they can use it seriously and not sit and play games 24/7.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Welp, that didn't end well with the Kindle Fire HD. The hardware is ok..some light bleed. But great speakers.

The software though. Ewwww. Laggy, limited, just awful. Still, if the content was there? But nope. The freetime thing for the kiddo is just an app. So within this app: It locks into landscape only. So much for reading anything in portrait. But the content selection isn't what I thought it would be. Apparently there's no way to sort anything. I saw many duplicates. It was just a hassle to find anything.

Not what I thought it was. It quickly went back. If I want a tablet for the kiddo, it will have to be iOS. Mini or ipad.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
She's reading the ipad 3 this morning and I think that was the best deal. The retina screen is the reason you get an ipad. Thing is, she uses the tablet in her lap so the Mini really wasn't better as it's made to be held.

Say what you want about iOS being stale or whatever but it's lightyears ahead of the other limited, laggy OS's. I wonder sometimes what these reviewers are seeing in the cheaper tablets.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro