Why did you decide to get the iPad mini?

Loony4Fruit

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
The bigger iPad was just too unwieldy to carry. I often found myself debating whether to bring it with me places. The mini is in a completely different league. Sometimes I wish this thing had cell phone capabilities!

darkoman4

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: How do you feel?

I am also as some of the posters have disclosed here a complete geek and I have to have almost all the best from each mobile OS. I own Bold 9900 and Playbook, Pre3 and Touchpad, Nexus 4 and Nexus 7, Htc One X and Htc Jetstream 4G LTE, Nokia Lumia 900, iPhone 5, iPad3 and for some reason, I thought I was missing iPad Mini. Now my wife completely disagreed with me and said I was missing nothing. Sure enough, yesterday I got home a little late from work caring iPad Mini.

Imani_Tech

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: How do you feel?

I have both the Google Nexus 7 and the iPad mini. I like the Nexus 7, but I like the iPad mini better. Here are some reasons why:

1. The Nexus 7 has sharper and higher resolution text, but the iPad mini's screen is a third larger. Also, the colors on the iPad mini seem more balanced and saturated to me.

2. Even with the larger screen, the iPad mini is thinner and lighter than the Nexus 7. I take mass transit to work and have to stand up during the entire 30 minute ride. The iPad mini is easier to hold. In fact the mini with a leather case still feels a bit lighter than the Nexus 7 without the case.

3. The side bezels are narrow on both devices. However, the iPad mini allows my thumb to rest past the bezel onto the actual screen without it being considered a "touch." If I try to do the same on a Nexus 7, a page might turn or something else touch-activated might occur.

4. Although the Android OS provides more customization options than iOS, the iOS app experience is superior. Most Nexus 7 apps are literally smartphone apps on a tablet. The user experience on a Nexus 7 is like having a large Nexus 4 phone. By contrast, the user experience on an iPad mini is like having a small iPad.

5. I like the rubber back of the Nexus 7, but it has already accidentally popped off the tablet when I dropped it on soft carpet. It makes me question the build quality.

6. Finally, I don't see much of a difference between the two when it comes to videos and games.

kristopherlarry

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
It Comes To Ecosystem For Me... I'm Absolutely Invested & In Love With What Apple Did... From The Variety Of Apps To The Simplicity... Far As Tablet... I Have The iPad 3 & Love It But For Mobility Purposes I Prefer My Mini When Out & About... The Lightness & Thinness Is Perfect...

iPhone 5 32gb, iPad 3 32gb, iPad Mini LTE 32gb, Apple TV3 x2..... Love The Ecosystem... 😜

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
It Comes To Ecosystem For Me... I'm Absolutely Invested & In Love With What Apple Did... From The Variety Of Apps To The Simplicity... Far As Tablet... I Have The iPad 3 & Love It But For Mobility Purposes I Prefer My Mini When Out & About... The Lightness & Thinness Is Perfect...

iPhone 5 32gb, iPad 3 32gb, iPad Mini LTE 32gb, Apple TV3 x2..... Love The Ecosystem... 😜

I agree. I have MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, 2-iPhone 5s, 2-iPad mini, 3-Apple TVs and selling a MacBook Air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
As probably most of you know that the nexus 7 has better screen resolution and better specs. Why did you guys decided to get the iPad mink instead of the nexus 7 knowing this?

Because specs and screen mean nothing when your tablet simply plays blown up phone apps

ridiculocity

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I remember clearly discussing not wanting an iPad mini before the announcement as I thought it was pointless for my needs. I already owned a iPhone 5 and iPad 2 so it seemed overkill. After picking one up in Sydney Apple Store I played Jetpack Joyride and fell in love.

I travel a lot on long train rides as I live on NSW Central Coast and always took my iPad 2, the iPad mini became the perfect replacement. It's lightweight, great for games and books and fits in my bag perfectly.

Now my iPad 2 is always in its clam shell keyboard case as my writing device and my mini is my media consumption device.

I was happy to eat my words. My partner has the exact same set up as me and we are stoked!!

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
My nexus 7 was freezing and lagging, so I sold it and got a mini. I enjoy android but will wait and see how the version 2 of their nexus tab is. Loving the mini so far

Pretty much this. I was having the same problems with lagging, freezing and rebooting. The mini is more stable and smoother and in real life there isn't much difference in screen quality. Text is a bit sharper on the nexus 7 but the colour contrast is much better on the iPad mini. Also the lack of tablet specific apps, availability of better a range of apps and access to TV shows were all factors in why I switched from the nexus 7 to the iPad mini.

MacIntense

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
My birthday is right around the corner and I have been reading some posts in this forum and have a difficult decision to make. I have to choose between iPad mini and iPad 3. I am getting it to play games and read books or even watch movies while on deployment. The iPad 3 is 314 on bestbuy.com and the iPad mini is 329 which one should I get. I am concerned about screen resolution between the two. Thanks

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
My birthday is right around the corner and I have been reading some posts in this forum and have a difficult decision to make. I have to choose between iPad mini and iPad 3. I am getting it to play games and read books or even watch movies while on deployment. The iPad 3 is 314 on bestbuy.com and the iPad mini is 329 which one should I get. I am concerned about screen resolution between the two. Thanks

That's a tough one. The mini is great for reading and surfing the web. I love the weight and size. For watching movies I would prefer the larger retina display (sadly I have both). Mini is also much easier to travel with. If your concerned about the resolution and don't mind the size difference then go with the 3. At this point if I was buying and didn't have either I would get the mini.

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I wanted a MacBook but I just rented a house so I decided to get an iPad. My fianc? told me to get an ipad 4 because it had a bigger screen and a better display. However we discussed that I wanted to be able to use the ipad every where I went. Then when I felt the mini in hand at a store vs the 4 it was like a price of paper vs a brick.

I tried her old nook tablet which has almost the same resolution and it wasn't even that bad. And I thought I'd never like anything that wasn't retina. I was going to the ipad for both of us so I was kind of thinking of the 4 so she could also use it (she's a preschool teacher and wanted it for the plethora of educational apps). In the store she told me to just get the mini and she's just buy a 4 herself. So I opted for the mini and it's perfect.

Also I thought she'd wait a while to get it. But the day I got my mini she surprised me and got the 4 so I am super happy. Plus the size and weight of the mini is so much better I don't even care about the resolution. The performance doesn't seem to be noticeable because of the less ram and less powerful processor.

Til:dr. I wanted an ipad that was lightweight and portable and didn't care if the display was slightly worse. All in all the ipad mini might be (for me) the best iDevice ever made.

As to why I got the mini vs a nexus 7? I wanted to choose from 275000+ tablet optimized apps instead of blown up phone apps

Edit: this had no bearing on my decision to buy the mini but Apple products will retain their value a lot longer than any other brand if I ever chose to sell it

Last edited:

grassyblue

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Ever since I've had the bigger iPad, I've always wanted an iPad that was smaller. The bigger iPad is nice, but it's just way too big and bulky to carry around. I think 7.9" is honestly the perfect size for a portable tablet. Now, if I used my iPad exclusively at home, maybe I'd just go with the bigger one. But my iPad goes everywhere I go. Size is paramount.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I originally wanted one when they first came out, but decided the Note 10.1 was a better fit for me. Then I filled out an online survey for one of my vendors and won an iPad Mini! So now I have both and I love both. they each have their advantages and uses but I do love the size/feel of the Mini...

brad4560

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
For me it is the ecosystem, everything syncs in check with my 4s, as well as I love the weight, form factor, and beauty of the screen on my mini!

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I originally wanted one when they first came out, but decided the Note 10.1 was a better fit for me. Then I filled out an online survey for one of my vendors and won an iPad Mini! So now I have both and I love both. they each have their advantages and uses but I do love the size/feel of the Mini...

Donnee

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
For me it was all about the more compact size. A few people at work have the full size iPads (various gens) and while I like them, for the footprint I always think you might as well carry a laptop / netbook / MacBook around with you and get more done.

I didn't jump straight on the mini bandwagon, I've had a playbook since they launched over here and have been making do with that for the last couple of years. They're not a bad device, especially for the price you can pick one up for at the moment, but the bb ecosystem is shockingly bad. Couple that with a slow browser and you've got yourself a pretty good case for not bothering. The only thing I find really handy on them is the drag and drop over wifi, which is why mine's being demoted to a media centre and will be spending its days plugged into the tv as a glorified USB drive

One thing that did concern me from all the reviews is the screen, but after trying one out in the shop I decided to go for it. 24 hours in I can't see what all the fuss is about. Maybe I'm just more forgiving due to what I'm used to, or I've got the shiny new toy rose glasses on, who knows :)

MacIntense

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I tried out the mini yesterday and although its not Retina it still has a nice screen. I was very surprised by how light it is and how easy it is to hold with one hand. The salesman talked me out of getting one he said that he thinks Apple will release one with Retina this year for the same price. Do y'all think this will happen?

jonathan2677

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site

That is a tough one,I have a mini and a 4th gen,I love both but if had to choose one my mini def gets more use,I wanted the 4th gen for gaming due to graphics and processor but I use the mini more for gaming because the form factor is more comfortable for play,I don't notice a big diff in either screen or processor that you wouldn't soon forget about,one thing is the mini shouldn't be bought without cellular (IMHO) if the money allows ,it makes it such a nice thing to grab on your way out the door, I take it everywhere, honestly the 4th gen almost never gets touched ,it's a awesome powerhouse with great graphics but the form factor of the mini rocks! I might sell the full size one before new ones come out and drop the value ,I'll use the money to upgrade ,but I'll prob want both a mini and a full size when they come out! Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

zoogue

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure the ipad retina will come out, but understand when the Ipad mini w/ retina comes out talk of ipad mini 3 will be going around.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2