My birthday is right around the corner and I have been reading some posts in this forum and have a difficult decision to make. I have to choose between iPad mini and iPad 3. I am getting it to play games and read books or even watch movies while on deployment. The iPad 3 is 314 on bestbuy.com and the iPad mini is 329 which one should I get. I am concerned about screen resolution between the two. Thanks
    That's a tough one. The mini is great for reading and surfing the web. I love the weight and size. For watching movies I would prefer the larger retina display (sadly I have both). Mini is also much easier to travel with. If your concerned about the resolution and don't mind the size difference then go with the 3. At this point if I was buying and didn't have either I would get the mini.
    04-01-2013 09:14 AM
    I wanted a MacBook but I just rented a house so I decided to get an iPad. My fianc told me to get an ipad 4 because it had a bigger screen and a better display. However we discussed that I wanted to be able to use the ipad every where I went. Then when I felt the mini in hand at a store vs the 4 it was like a price of paper vs a brick.

I tried her old nook tablet which has almost the same resolution and it wasn't even that bad. And I thought I'd never like anything that wasn't retina. I was going to the ipad for both of us so I was kind of thinking of the 4 so she could also use it (she's a preschool teacher and wanted it for the plethora of educational apps). In the store she told me to just get the mini and she's just buy a 4 herself. So I opted for the mini and it's perfect.

Also I thought she'd wait a while to get it. But the day I got my mini she surprised me and got the 4 so I am super happy. Plus the size and weight of the mini is so much better I don't even care about the resolution. The performance doesn't seem to be noticeable because of the less ram and less powerful processor.

Til:dr. I wanted an ipad that was lightweight and portable and didn't care if the display was slightly worse. All in all the ipad mini might be (for me) the best iDevice ever made.

As to why I got the mini vs a nexus 7? I wanted to choose from 275000+ tablet optimized apps instead of blown up phone apps

Edit: this had no bearing on my decision to buy the mini but Apple products will retain their value a lot longer than any other brand if I ever chose to sell it
    Last edited by JobSteves; 04-02-2013 at 02:50 AM.
    robertk328 likes this.
    04-02-2013 01:23 AM
    Ever since I've had the bigger iPad, I've always wanted an iPad that was smaller. The bigger iPad is nice, but it's just way too big and bulky to carry around. I think 7.9" is honestly the perfect size for a portable tablet. Now, if I used my iPad exclusively at home, maybe I'd just go with the bigger one. But my iPad goes everywhere I go. Size is paramount.
    robertk328 likes this.
    04-02-2013 03:04 PM
    I originally wanted one when they first came out, but decided the Note 10.1 was a better fit for me. Then I filled out an online survey for one of my vendors and won an iPad Mini! So now I have both and I love both. they each have their advantages and uses but I do love the size/feel of the Mini...
    04-02-2013 08:08 PM
    For me it is the ecosystem, everything syncs in check with my 4s, as well as I love the weight, form factor, and beauty of the screen on my mini!
    04-02-2013 08:10 PM
    I originally wanted one when they first came out, but decided the Note 10.1 was a better fit for me. Then I filled out an online survey for one of my vendors and won an iPad Mini! So now I have both and I love both. they each have their advantages and uses but I do love the size/feel of the Mini...
    04-02-2013 09:08 PM
    For me it was all about the more compact size. A few people at work have the full size iPads (various gens) and while I like them, for the footprint I always think you might as well carry a laptop / netbook / MacBook around with you and get more done.

I didn't jump straight on the mini bandwagon, I've had a playbook since they launched over here and have been making do with that for the last couple of years. They're not a bad device, especially for the price you can pick one up for at the moment, but the bb ecosystem is shockingly bad. Couple that with a slow browser and you've got yourself a pretty good case for not bothering. The only thing I find really handy on them is the drag and drop over wifi, which is why mine's being demoted to a media centre and will be spending its days plugged into the tv as a glorified USB drive

One thing that did concern me from all the reviews is the screen, but after trying one out in the shop I decided to go for it. 24 hours in I can't see what all the fuss is about. Maybe I'm just more forgiving due to what I'm used to, or I've got the shiny new toy rose glasses on, who knows
    04-04-2013 03:30 AM
    I tried out the mini yesterday and although its not Retina it still has a nice screen. I was very surprised by how light it is and how easy it is to hold with one hand. The salesman talked me out of getting one he said that he thinks Apple will release one with Retina this year for the same price. Do y'all think this will happen?
    04-05-2013 09:27 AM
    My birthday is right around the corner and I have been reading some posts in this forum and have a difficult decision to make. I have to choose between iPad mini and iPad 3. I am getting it to play games and read books or even watch movies while on deployment. The iPad 3 is 314 on bestbuy.com and the iPad mini is 329 which one should I get. I am concerned about screen resolution between the two. Thanks
    That is a tough one,I have a mini and a 4th gen,I love both but if had to choose one my mini def gets more use,I wanted the 4th gen for gaming due to graphics and processor but I use the mini more for gaming because the form factor is more comfortable for play,I don't notice a big diff in either screen or processor that you wouldn't soon forget about,one thing is the mini shouldn't be bought without cellular (IMHO) if the money allows ,it makes it such a nice thing to grab on your way out the door, I take it everywhere, honestly the 4th gen almost never gets touched ,it's a awesome powerhouse with great graphics but the form factor of the mini rocks! I might sell the full size one before new ones come out and drop the value ,I'll use the money to upgrade ,but I'll prob want both a mini and a full size when they come out! Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    04-08-2013 09:22 AM
    I'm sure the ipad retina will come out, but understand when the Ipad mini w/ retina comes out talk of ipad mini 3 will be going around.
    04-08-2013 12:55 PM
    I'm sure the ipad retina will come out, but understand when the Ipad mini w/ retina comes out talk of ipad mini 3 will be going around.
    So true with the fast moving world of tech there's always talk of the next thing coming, that's why I agree if you want something and it covers your needs get it, if in a few months something comes that you absolutely think is worth the upgrade , then hand it down to family or sell it, but again like said then the 3 will be talked about! Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    04-10-2013 10:48 AM
    I've been a Apple i guy for approx 6-7 years. Started with iPhone 3GS. Then 1st gen iPad. All the way up to my current iPhone 5, Gen 4 iPad and iPad mini. I love them. They are easy to use, great battery life and apps galor. I find I use my apples for just about anything. Fast easy, always on and ready to use. I feel like a dork when I push on my computers screen, then figure out its not my iPad. Lolol.

Iproducts all the way.

PS I decided on getting a mini to replace a Kindle Fire. The size is great when an iPad will just be too big. Nice if you can have both.
    04-12-2013 01:21 AM
    I was a die hard android fan for years and couldn't think of a reason to ever try an apple product. Then the Jelly Bean update came out for my Asus transformer. What a disappointment! The screen lag and force close issues drove me crazy. Just for giggles, I decided to try out a mini at best buy. What a difference. So long android, hello apple. Bought 2 mini's and will be looking into an iPad 4 and a MacBook. It's hard to admit, but I was wrong all these years. The apple ecosystem is the best I have ever seen. All the years I wasted as a Linux and android developer allow me to appreciate the work that went into apple.
    impaler likes this.
    04-12-2013 12:38 PM
    My company phone is a iPhone so after being on Android for a long while I decided might as well get into the iOS ecosystem
    04-12-2013 05:10 PM
    Welcome to the family
    04-12-2013 08:20 PM
    I was a die hard android fan for years and couldn't think of a reason to ever try an apple product. Then the Jelly Bean update came out for my Asus transformer. What a disappointment! The screen lag and force close issues drove me crazy. Just for giggles, I decided to try out a mini at best buy. What a difference. So long android, hello apple. Bought 2 mini's and will be looking into an iPad 4 and a MacBook. It's hard to admit, but I was wrong all these years. The apple ecosystem is the best I have ever seen. All the years I wasted as a Linux and android developer allow me to appreciate the work that went into apple.
    Welcome home!
    04-18-2013 01:44 PM
    I had the 1st Gen iPad before any of the mini tabs. Before it was stollen I loved its performance. I didn't care for the size it was to big to carry around. I just did without a tab until I bought the galaxy tab 2 7" . The size was perfect, the android system cornbread, ice milk, honeycomb whatever they call it this week.? I hated it!!!!! Then the mini came out and I fell in love😄
    04-18-2013 04:36 PM
    Iam thinking of geting a mini or the 4th gen i pad
    04-19-2013 01:38 AM
    My mom and her Boyfriend both have the iPad 3rd Generation and I always found it too big to carry around since I travel a lot for school and since I have a MacBook and an iPhone 4 I love the ecosystem and didn't want to relearn a new OS.

But when the iPad Mini was announced and my semester was starting I had to get it and I find myself always using it now! The next week my mom grabbed one too and now barely uses her old iPad lol.
    04-19-2013 10:48 PM
    My 3 year old son confiscated my iPad 2 when he learned to play his games and watch PBS Sprout on it. I have been intrigued by the size and weight of the Mini so picked one up for my birthday -- really like it a lot, and since I came from the iPad 2 (even with an iPhone 5) I have no issues with the display being non-retina. For Tapatalk, Kindle, and even some games and of course web and email, the screen is more than sufficient.
    04-20-2013 10:58 AM
    Had the iPad 3. Loved the apps and the display (God I miss the display), but it was too heavy for me to use one handedly during commute (which is a big chunk of my use). So got the mini instead. No regrets, but I'd love it if Apple came out with Retina iPad Mini soon.
    05-08-2013 10:10 PM
    I kept putting off getting an iPad because my 13" MBP was portable enough for me. Then the mini was introduced and it was the perfectly between the MBP and the iPhone.
    05-08-2013 10:14 PM
    The best form factor? The iPad Mini is much harder to hold than the Nexus 7 with one hand. Much harder.

And can you explain to me exactly how iOS 6 is better than Android 4.2? I mean the actual OS, not the eco system.
    Here here! I use both Android and iOS, and find 4.2.2 to be a much more capable operating system.
    Not in this thread. There are plenty of other threads addressing this. Or you can go back to AC where you have already determined that Android is better. Thanks, and have a pleasant day.
    Someone's in denial!
    05-13-2013 12:08 AM
    I'm now all Apple, but it is important to note that I didn't start that way. I grew up with PCs and had two windows laptops for college and my first Master's degree. I swore I'd never get a Mac, though I had no good reason, it just seemed right to hate them when so many people loved them so. But eventually I needed a new laptop and got talked into trying a MacBook and I never looked back.

When I got a smartphone, I swore I'd never get an iPhone with essentially the same logic as before. I started on webOS, and I still miss its ease of tweaking and multitasking...it truly was ahead of its time. The problem was you needed to tweak because of all the things it didn't have apps to do, and when HP did the best little OS in, I decided to go to what I thought was the next best, a Nexus S. Then I found out that in order to do little tiny tweaks I had to unlock the boot loader and install a custom version of the OS that may or may not have the right combination of tweaks and options for me, and all of that with no easy way back webOS Doctor. I ended up deciding that android was neither as customizable nor as elegant as webOS, and at least iOS came close with the latter.

I think what I realized was that my two laptops didn't hold up for more than about a year after I bought me before they started feeling old and requiring constant plugging in. My android phone felt similar. Granted, the Nexus S, which came out two years ago this month and so is just ending its life cycle for the earliest adopters(!), spanned a quantum leap for android. It came out on 2.3.7 and was up to 4.1.1 by the time I left, I think. But 4.1.1 barely ran on it. Right before I switched I tried to google something. It took me ten minutes and ten percent of my battery before I finally gave up and used my MacBook instead. I knew I had to switch. I guess I decided I didn't want to fight the same battle with a tablet that I did with laptops and phones. Though I guess I did. Sitting next to me is a rarely used fire sale HP TouchPad that dual boots webOS and CyanogenMOD (I ended up preferring webOS still), so I guess I used two other OS's before he Mini.

I won't say android is terrible, lots of people love it and I'm happy for them and for the competition in the market. I never liked it, though. Ultimately I was won over the hard way three times by the good stuff that Apple makes and that I blindly swore I'd never buy.
    05-13-2013 12:57 AM
    I love the 7 inch form factor, and I went for the iOS device for the access to the apps. Since just about everything has an iOS version, and also I already have investments in the ecosystem via my old ipod touches.
    05-13-2013 02:59 PM
129 12345 ...