Well it happened...

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
The unthinkable happened today... dropped my iPad mini :( well more like it slipped out of my jacket inside pocket... Onto the asphalt... Same result though...

I've dropped an iPhone once in the 5 years I've owned them (no cases on any... ) ... Now less than a month with the mini and I drop it... Ugh...

No broken glass (that would at least be replaceable)... Dinged a corner pretty bad... In fact all 4 corners got marred up...

Should got a case...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352671451.113076.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352671490.535788.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352671524.752812.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352671569.118511.jpg

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear, I baby my devices and any scratches bother me too
On a positive note, that is not bad damage for dropping it from waist high onto asphalt.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I know it's just cosmetic but needless to say I was super pissed at myself... :(

I basically ruined the resale with a stupid oversight (I forgot it was there and had no time to react when I felt it slip out)... I guess I'm keeping this one til it dies...

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I understand your being upset. Really sorry it happened. I got one of those hardshell cases for the back but I hate it. I found one that is a softer and more grippy material which I ordered.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Which one did you order?

"i-Blason Apple iPad Mini Smart Cover Compatible Back Cover SoftGel TPU back case (Front Smart Cover Not Included, Back cover Only) Frost Clear"

Whopping $9.95. I will eventually get a decent folio case but for now this in combination with the Smart Cover will do.

This keeps it thin and light!

DAB, sent with Tapatalk HD
iPhone 5 32GB White / iPad Mini 32GB White

Zach7

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
That is a huge bummer! Sorry to see this! I kept mine inside a tablet carrying case until I purchased my Otterbox Defender. Adds great protection and the built in screen protector keeps it clean. Better cover it so you can try to forget about it.

pommie82

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear that you dropped your mini,personally i wouldn't take my mini out with me without a case of some sort on it
I am not really a dropsy person but you never know what going to happen always handy to have a case on and a screen protector
at all times.

axllebeer

Trusted Member
Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I would be extremely mad at myself as well. I'm still running mine naked, but I have a case coming in the mail from Amazon. Was going to get the Smart Cover, but concerned about the back getting all scratched up. This is what I'm getting and it looks prett decent and cheap!

Amazon.com: INVELLOP BLACK Leatherette Case Cover for iPad mini (Built-in magnet for sleep/wake feature) Model #'s MD531LL/A MD528LL/A and MD540LL/A: Computers & Accessories

Update:

Love my case. I can't imagine anything better. Magnets hold it great. Comes out easy but no chance it's falling out. I shook it by the cover and all is well. I'm a happy camper after having this case for over 2 months now.

Last edited:

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I ended up sending the Apple Smart Cover back. This design is just terrible. I hate the way it sags in the middle and the magnets are weak.

I ordered a Bear Motion iPad Mini 100% Genuine Leather Portfolio case on Nov 18 from Amazon. I got it today and totally love this case. It adds bulk but not much, I fits great and overall is a damn nice case for $15. In the past on my iPads I have paid $50 to $60 for lessor quality portfolio cases. This one is a keeper! The magnets are strong and it stays closed, sleep wake function works perfectly.

I prefer a portfolio type case to these roll up type smart covers, but everyone is different.

kennethkilo

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Call me weird but.... I think it's beautiful. The scratches and dings give it so much more character and uniqueness :X I like my Apple products semi-scratched :x

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Call me weird but.... I think it's beautiful. The scratches and dings give it so much more character and uniqueness :X I like my Apple products semi-scratched :x

Really? Well, speaking as a person who resells all of my iProducts, I don't think scratches adds character. I think it decreases the resale value of the device, which is why I put a screen saver and a case on right out of the box.

Sent from my LTE iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD.

kennethkilo

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
oh, well of course if you're reselling you would want a perfect condition phone. But that's what applecare is for when the next phone comes out in a year ;-). pay 50$ and get a new phone, boosts the resale value by like 100$ compared to a dinged up one.

teejaywhy

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I dropped my mini yesterday. I accidentally picked it up by the Smart Cover and because I thought I had the whole thing, I pulled it up hard. Magnets disconnected and down it went. I have a cheapie back case on it and it did the right thing and flipped onto its back and landed flat on the ceramic tile floor. I have never dropped any of my devices and I almost fainted but it came through just fine. Someday I hope to find the perfect back case that holds the Smart Cover in place. Someday ...

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
For this exact reason, I did buy Apple Care +. I take my mini everywhere since its LTE so a drop could happen. Sorry to hear this happened.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
For this exact reason, I did buy Apple Care +. I take my mini everywhere since its LTE so a drop could happen. Sorry to hear this happened.

I did the same! It seems with the iPad mini I take it with me on the go so much more then the regular sized iPad. It's a matter of time before I accidentally drop it or have it slide off somewhere.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro