Help me choose!

tbaptista

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so this Holiday season I think it about time for me to jump into the tablet/e-reader club.

I want a device for home and the train. I have already decided that I want to tether vs. mobile as my train ride is only 20 minutes.

At home I want to watch movies, surf the net and check emails.

For the train I want to read books, news and social sites (facebook)

That's all I pretty much plan on doing with it.

I'm interested in the Kindle Fire HD 7", Nexus 7 or iPad mini.

Price is also important as well.

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Thanks

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you're already heavily invested in a particular ecosystem then I suggest you go with a tablet that takes advantage of it. If you are not then I suggest you go with the iPad Mini. Apple products are well-built, greatly supported, easy to use and has access to a wealth of music, apps and videos. Yes, the others also have access to a wealth of items, but none on the level of Apple, in my opinion. Having said that, I am a fan of e-ink readers and I find them more enjoyable to read on, but not everyone agrees with me and that's okay. To each his or her own. Anyway, you can do all that you mentioned on all three devices, but I would go with the industry leader, if I were you.

Last edited:

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Okay, so this Holiday season I think it about time for me to jump into the tablet/e-reader club.

I want a device for home and the train. I have already decided that I want to tether vs. mobile as my train ride is only 20 minutes.

Thanks

Click on the link. It's help me make my mind up. Going with the iPad Mini. It will do everything u want and then some.

http://www.imore.com/ipad-mini-vs-k...xus-7-vs-surface-rt-vs-playbook-spec-shootout

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
If you have tons of money to throw around and don't mind tying yourslef to Itune then go for the Mini.
If you want the best value to do all the things you mentioned, then go for the Blackberry Playbook it's only $149 for a 32G.

tbaptista

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
If you have tons of money to throw around and don't mind tying yourslef to Itune then go for the Mini.
If you want the best value to do all the things you mentioned, then go for the Blackberry Playbook it's only $149 for a 32G.

Isn't the playbook App Store a little light? Worried that company won't be around much longer.

skyscraper04

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Isn't the playbook App Store a little light? Worried that company won't be around much longer.

I have a 32gb playbook and its my only tablet but i will not recommend it to you.the reason i still have it because i paid 649 bucks for it and its the mistake i will never forget.its has really good hardware(build quality)the 2 speakers are also good BUT the software and app support is really bad,i have it for over a year now and the app selection is the same.all the important apps that IOS and android have are zero on the playbook.the browser is laggy but it supports adobe flash.
If you have the money get the ipad 4 or the kindle fire hd/nexus 7.the ipad mini is ok tablet but not great.
Personally i would wait for the ipad mini 2 or the 7 inch windows 8 tablet with a really good specs.

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site

In comparison to the Apple apps store, it is very light. But it comes down to what you want the tablet for. For what the OP wants, it does it very well.
I actually bought a 32G playbook for my teenage son during a Walmart sale of $118. He has over 300 apps and games installed on the thing. I think he even have an emulator to run PSX and N64 games.
As far as RIM not being around, they still have over 2 billion in the bank , lots of assets, tons of patents, and a user base of 80 million generating revenue. I've heard their upcoming BB10 phone will be the next generation of smartphones. It is a phone that even Apple is taking notice of because Apple is smart enough to realize that their aging OS may not stand well against advancing Android and BB OS.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a 32gb playbook and its my only tablet but i will not recommend it to you.the reason i still have it because i paid 649 bucks for it and its the mistake i will never forget.its has really good hardware(build quality)the 2 speakers are also good BUT the software and app support is really bad,i have it for over a year now and the app selection is the same.all the important apps that IOS and android have are zero on the playbook.the browser is laggy but it supports adobe flash.
If you have the money get the ipad 4 or the kindle fire hd/nexus 7.the ipad mini is ok tablet but not great.
Personally i would wait for the ipad mini 2 or the 7 inch windows 8 tablet with a really good specs.

I feel for you. I would be a little piss if I had to pay $649 for the playbook. I don't think any tablet in the market today is worth over $300-$400.
As far as apps, my son seems quite happy with the selection.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site

Thanks

For the majority of that, i'd use my smartphone or PC at home. If it had to be between what you listed, I'd cross off the Kindle first. Since you most likely own an iphone, being able to use those apps you've already purchased, along with ecosystem, would likely make up for any price difference. Go with the Mini or refurb ipad 3.

If price is really your focus, the Playbook isn't a bad tablet.

tbaptista

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
For the majority of that, i'd use my smartphone or PC at home. If it had to be between what you listed, I'd cross off the Kindle first. Since you most likely own an iphone, being able to use those apps you've already purchased, along with ecosystem, would likely make up for any price difference. Go with the Mini or refurb ipad 3.

If price is really your focus, the Playbook isn't a bad tablet.

I do have an iPhone 4s and to date have yet to pay for an actual app! I'm cheap like that. lol

Team George

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
IPad Mini is amazing! I do a long train ride and have found it so easy to slip it out of my pocket with a coffee in one hand an IBook in the other. It is sooooo light. I also tether and for some reason have found the mini really quick to pick up the signal from my 4s. Not sure why this is but I certainly don't see the point of a 4g version when LTE is so expensive.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
If price is important, have a read through this: If you're competing with the iPad mini based on price, you're telling people to buy the BlackBerry PlayBook | iMore.com

If you want the best app support and user experience though, I'd say the mini is worth the few extra bucks. Being both an iPad and PlayBook owner, I can tell you that the iPad makes up about 85% of my tablet use, whereas the PlayBook is used only when its size and portability, or specific connectivity with my 9900 are needed. It's got a lot of games, and you can side load Android apps onto it, if that's part of your consideration at all.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I agree that one should consider if they are invested in the Apple ecosystem. I did the Nexus 7 and it just felt so disconnected from the rest of my world. I like it, it is a great devices and I have nothing, but praise for it. However, I was going to have to buy a lot of the same apps over and I had become spoiled with air play and many other aspects of the Apple ecosystem that just wasn't available to the Nexus 7. So, when the iPad Mini was announced, I sold the Nexus 7 and jumped on the iPad Mini. Best decisions I've made, cause now I feel connected again. Plus the mini works with my cars audio system and even controls the mini for music playback with the music app or Pandora. No can do with the Nexus 7.

Rash1

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion the best choice to chose is either kindle fire HD 7 and nexus 7. They both have the same price ($199) and good quality. However, you are more likely to watch movie, surf the net and check email while riding on train and Kindle fire HD7 is I believe what you need. It has a wider screen than nexus 7 that is suitable for watching movies, reading books, social media and etc.

indioeye

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Opinions are always accepted! Anyway, the most important thing to consider is the satisfaction that you have to obtain in choosing the right tablet for you. Another thing is the cost of the unit. You will need to check if the cost is just for your need to consider your budget.

There are a lot of tablets in the market for now. A friend of mine help him out with these customization and he can even get full support for the tablet that he need and he recommend this to me. They cater the best tablets at cheaper price with the performance of branded tablets and expensive ones.
Check this out: JSXL Technology - Your Factory in the Cloud.
Maybe this could help you decide.

Enjoy!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73