iPad Mini or iPad 4???

MrDoug

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
All I can say is they both (Mini and 4) are incredible.. both have their own advantages and disadvantages.. . if you can afford both.. get both.. if you can only afford one, I would get the Mini..
Doug

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I have an iPad 2 (32GB) which I have liked as a mobile device and which I bought as an extension of my home computer. But a recent purchase of a MacBook Air 11" to replace the home computer has also given me a fully-featured lightweight mobile computer, almost making the iPad redundant.

That said, I'd certainly consider the Mini as replacing my larger iPad (or any thought of a 4) as a daily mobile device - I've never had a problem with the 2's hardware specs, and a test running these on the Mini while viewing docs, web pages or video and using the keyboard seemed fine. The Mini's size is nearly pocketable, though I've found it's 4:3 aspect means it feels little wide to hold naturally, compared to some of the 16:9 x 7" devices out there. But then, in that aspect, I guess you lose some screen real estate when using the keyboard, so....

Last edited:

mrnserv

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
All I can say is they both (Mini and 4) are incredible.. both have their own advantages and disadvantages.. . if you can afford both.. get both.. if you can only afford one, I would get the Mini..
Doug

I would agree, if you can, get both, each has times and places for use. The mini is definitely more of a device to consume/read media and the iPad can do that plus do better at producing media.

If you have another small computer like a MacBook Air or similar and only need one, I would be inclined to get the mini, as it will give you a great portable computing ability with the MacBook and super portability with the mini.

If you have a desktop and are looking to add one of these only, I would get an iPad 4 and an Apple wireless keyboard or similar. You can use the iPad and keyboard together for an almost MacBook Air like experience while making it easier to type and produce documents, email, etc. or you can use the iPad alone for even more portability.

Certainly if you want only one and size and ability to use and carry it just about anywhere is of great importance, you can't go wrong with just a mini. I think it would make doing "everything" or at least what I do with my iOS and Mac devices a bit more challenging but you could do it. I would go for the WiFi plus Cellular as it seems sometimes just when you need it you don't have wifi available and you get true GPS with that option.

Sent from my iPad 4 using Tapatalk HD

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I just bought the Mini yesterday. It replaces an iPad 2. never considered the 4 since it's not that different than the 2 IMO. The Mini is what the iPad was meant to be - something between a phone and a laptop. The iPad is way too close to the laptop, and there isn't even much difference in weight between an iPad and an 11" MacBook Air, which is the combination I started with. Moving between my current MacBook Pro and iPad was difficult, but I can leave the Mac in my lap and grab the Mini with no problem, practically using them simultaneously. And I love getting the extra weight out of my purse!

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey I just thought if something: does the mini support Siri?

Absolutely! Here's Siri on my iPad Mini. :)

aguranep.jpg

Sent from my LTE iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
never considered the 4 since it's not that different than the 2 IMO.

In terms of the size, I would have to agree. However, in terms of the camera, processor, and display, I think the iPad 4 is different.

Sent from my LTE iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD.

mrnserv

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I just bought the Mini yesterday. It replaces an iPad 2. never considered the 4 since it's not that different than the 2 IMO. The Mini is what the iPad was meant to be - something between a phone and a laptop. The iPad is way too close to the laptop, and there isn't even much difference in weight between an iPad and an 11" MacBook Air, which is the combination I started with. Moving between my current MacBook Pro and iPad was difficult, but I can leave the Mac in my lap and grab the Mini with no problem, practically using them simultaneously. And I love getting the extra weight out of my purse!

Size wise, the iPad 2 and iPad 4 are virtually identical. The iPad 4 is considerably faster than the iPad 2 in operation and graphics plus it has a much better screen. If you use cellular, LTE data speeds are also much faster the the 3G speeds if you are in a covered market. Not a huge overall difference in operation and ability to do things, but kind of like buying the same model car with a 4 cylinder engine/base radio and options (iPad 2) vs. the same model car with an 8 cylinder engine/premium radio and options. Both get you to the same place, one just does it faster and with some upgraded options.

I would agree that for most people who have a MacBook Air, the iPad mini makes the most sense as a device between that and an iPhone. The iPad 2/3/4 still has some merit for those with a MBA as the battery life is double, the ability to use on a plane or other places with a lower profile yet become like a convertible notebook by adding a wireless keyboard that can be used or not as needed. You also get the built in cellular in the iPad that can be a factor for some.

It really comes down to the specific needs of the user and what types of use they need to do with their device as well as where they will be using it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro