iPad Mini vs Kindle Fire HD

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Want to get one for my son for his bday next month and from the specs I've read and seen, I'm really leaning toward the KF HD. What do u think?

rednocturne307

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Don't just consider specs. Also consider the difference in the operating systems, the selection of apps available for each device, etc... There's more to a device than what you see on paper.

rednocturne307

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Kindle looks more promising

Pretty much the only thing better about the kindle fire hd is its screen. If you're looking for a device EXCLUSIVELY for reading, then go with that. If you're looking for a full-fledged tablet, then you're really best off going with an iPad.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Pretty much the only thing better about the kindle fire hd is its screen. If you're looking for a device EXCLUSIVELY for reading, then go with that. If you're looking for a full-fledged tablet, then you're really best off going with an iPad.

I can see him playing a few games on it but mainly watching Netflix and some browsing online. I do like there price point for the 7" model tho

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My youngest son is already familiar with iOS from using my iPad 2 to play games and watch Netflix videos so it's a no-brainer for me to get him an iPad Mini whenever I decide to get him his own tablet. I will enable the same restrictions on it that I currently have on my iPad for when he is using it. Those restrictions include not being able to delete apps, cannot make in-app purchases and a others. He cannot & will not be able to install anything without my password & permission. Anyway, the iPad Mini is the route I'd take.

CandyBean

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
i know you didn't mention it.. but how come you're not considering google nexus 7?? for that price, that seems good for your son. for me personally, i play tons of games and need lots of apps so will probably always go with apple

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
i know you didn't mention it.. but how come you're not considering google nexus 7?? for that price, that seems good for your son. for me personally, i play tons of games and need lots of apps so will probably always go with apple

I don't know if your question is for me or the OP so I'm going to answer in regard to my situation. Like you, I'm too invested in the Apple ecosystem to get a Nexus 7 or any other non-Apple tablet so getting my son an iPad Mini is a no-brainer.

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if your question is for me or the OP so I'm going to answer in regard to my situation. Like you, I'm too invested in the Apple ecosystem to get a Nexus 7 or any other non-Apple tablet so getting my son an iPad Mini is a no-brainer.

Same here. I played with a Nexus 7 at the exchange and it wasn't bad. I didn't like the phone apps used on a tablet and cheap feel. Like you, I have a MacBook, iPhone, Apple TV, etc so I'm too invested to jump ship. Plus I love Apple stuff :)

Mella

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

Agreed. The iPad mini is a full-fledged tablet, of course the price indicate this. if you want some more things and there are some other Apple stuffz in your family, that is to say there is a nice Apple ecosystem to rely, then turn to the iPad.

rdiddy_25 said:
I do like there price point for the 7" model tho
Yeah, the price is a must factor to consider, but I think the cost performance is important, just to choose a higher cost performance and super usage.

Thorasgar

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I am in same situation 7and 10 year old boys. Cost is a factor but so is the lack of realistic and effective parental controls in iOS. Mac has them, so apple knows how to do it. Have 2 iPad 3s and would love to get 4s and pass the 3s on to them. But I can't stand over them constantly and make sure they are actually reading when it is reading time. Games are great but there needs to be a time limit. Kids will be kids and given the choice will play angry birds or minecraft over reading. iOS does not offer that functionality. Amazon gets what is like to be a parent in the digital age, Apple does not.

I may have to pick up a KF when the 10 is released and see if the game play is as bad as some have claimed. I need to checkout what android has to offer in the way of controls as well. I am saddened that Apple is forcing me out of their ecosystem.

Hopefully someday soon there will be tablets that do it all, we just are not there yet. We could be if apple pulled their head out of the sand.

I hope you make the right decision for your family, for mine it looks like I will have to go elsewhere.

Thorasgar

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
From my understanding its purpose is for autistic children. Not really ideal for my situation. It might allow me to lock them into iBooks, however i want to be able to use other sources such as Overdrive, Kindle etc. Both of my boys are very advanced readers and I want to do what I can to foster that talent. There are content filter solutions for safari, you tube etc.. I applaud apple for allowing that.

I have read arguments from educators that restrictions are counter productive. But this argument seems more geared towards teens. The main thing I want to do is be angle to shut off games after a certain amount of time, while still allowing all the great benefits a tablet has to offer.

I am not the only parent with this concern.

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
From my understanding its purpose is for autistic children. Not really ideal for my situation. It might allow me to lock them into iBooks, however i want to be able to use other sources such as Overdrive, Kindle etc. Both of my boys are very advanced readers and I want to do what I can to foster that talent. There are content filter solutions for safari, you tube etc.. I applaud apple for allowing that.

I have read arguments from educators that restrictions are counter productive. But this argument seems more geared towards teens. The main thing I want to do is be angle to shut off games after a certain amount of time, while still allowing all the great benefits a tablet has to offer.

I am not the only parent with this concern.

I wouldn't say it is geared towards children with autism. All it does it make it so you can leave the app they are currently using. Example: my daughter was watching backyardigans on my device. She likes to push the home, pause/play, skip, etc buttons. I used this mode to disable the home buttons and on screen buttons.

While the feature is excellent for children with learning disabilities or other concerns it can be used for other reasons.

Shilohcane

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. The iPad mini is a full-fledged tablet, of course the price indicate this. if you want some more things and there are some other Apple stuffz in your family, that is to say there is a nice Apple ecosystem to rely, then turn to the iPad.

Yeah, the price is a must factor to consider, but I think the cost performance is important, just to choose a higher cost performance and super usage.

Really if you want Higher Performace then the N7's NVIDIA Tegra 3 Quad-Core processor @ 1.3 GHz with 1 GB RAM is over 90% faster CPU than the iPad 3's Apple A5X Dual-Core processor @ 1.0 GHz with 1 GB RAM in Geekbench Test benchmarks here. N7 =1457 iPad 3 = 762 (higher is better)

Nexus 7 vs iPad | Fastest Android Tablet EVER - YouTube

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the above posts. You can't choose base on specs and OS.
If it was true, then the Blackberry Playbook would be the best selling tablet. Especially at $129 for the WiFi version.

It really depend on what you are going to use it for. I bought the playbook for my 12 year son because his primary use was games, internet for school stuff, email, watching videos , listening to music, reading the odd books and video chat with his cousins. I was able to pick up a 32G during a Walmart sale for $118. It was a no brainer.

iFan2012

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
It is no doubt that iPad Mini is really the best tablet. The price maybe not completely worth it but the argue that it is the best tablet on the market is beyond any doubt. If you have money then you will not regret that bought it.