Anyone getting rid of their ipad 3 to get a mini?

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
The Navy Exchange here said they should get them launch day like in the past. If so, I'll swing by and scoop one up. Plus, NO TAX!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spdracer

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Not getting rid of my iPad 3, but sold my wife's iPad 2 16GB Wifi only white yesterday for $300 and ordered the mini. Will be here mid November

pgood4

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
If you want to get an idea of what the pixel density will be like check out the original nook color. It has a 169 PPI density and to my eyes looks really good and I have an ipad 3 as well. The mini should be even better since it is using new display technology compared to the nook color. I would love it if the mini had a retina display, but I'll still be getting one since I've always felt 8" was the sweet spot size for me. I love my ipad 3, but would like something smaller and lighter as well.

stinkballs

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
If you want to get an idea of what the pixel density will be like check out the original nook color. It has a 169 PPI density and to my eyes looks really good and I have an ipad 3 as well. The mini should be even better since it is using new display technology compared to the nook color. I would love it if the mini had a retina display, but I'll still be getting one since I've always felt 8" was the sweet spot size for me. I love my ipad 3, but would like something smaller and lighter as well.

I actually had the original Nook Color and it looked pretty darn good. Returned it of course. Ha, I don't even remember why. Personally, I agree with you- 8" is a sweet spot. The iPad3 is perfect in size but portability? A little too big. Good for around the house or at work, but taking it around with you not so much. I work for the fire department here and create pdf maps and threw them onto my iPads. I wanted something a little smaller so I tried the Nexus 7. That thing was sweet. Good size. Or so I thought. After a couple of months, I really wished it was a 'little' bigger. Browsing the net wasn't a good experience- a LOT of zooming and pinching. It was just a tad too small. (side note: Droid PDF apps blow) I sold the Nexus 7 only because my pdf's would just take too long to load on ALL of their top 5 rated PDF viewers. (of course fast on IOS)

Anyway my iPad3 was sold yesterday to a close friend. Can't wait for the delivery!

Aloha

pgood4

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I had a nook color as well and remember the screen as being really nice. I stopped in the local Barnes and Noble today to take another look and I think I'll be pleased with the new screen. It's not retina, but I think the density will be fine and I'm definitely looking forward to the reduction in size and weight.

mikenyc2

Aug 2, 2008
Visit site
I am surprised as well that so many people are giving up their iPad 3. I have an iPad 3 and was contemplating going to the mini. My issue with the mini is that the lightning connector isn't as flexible as the current connector. I bought the HDMI connector so I can go to a friends place and hook up my iPhone 4S or iPad 3 to watch videos or play games. Can't go that with the iPad mini. Even with the lightning to standard connector, that will not support the HDMI connector.

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
I am surprised as well that so many people are giving up their iPad 3. I have an iPad 3 and was contemplating going to the mini. My issue with the mini is that the lightning connector isn't as flexible as the current connector. I bought the HDMI connector so I can go to a friends place and hook up my iPhone 4S or iPad 3 to watch videos or play games. Can't go that with the iPad mini. Even with the lightning to standard connector, that will not support the HDMI connector.

Have your friend get an Apple TV lol, jk man.

josh.ua

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a 3rd Gen iPad and I am in the same boat as you. Ordered a mini (with LTE, my 3rd gen only has wifi) and plan on using it a lot more. As of right now I am planning on giving my 3rd gen to my mom for christmas since she doesn't even have a usable computer. Hopefully the non retina display isn't too bad. I doubt it will be since The iPad 2 display wasn't that bad and the mini will be even more dense.

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
I have a 3rd Gen iPad and I am in the same boat as you. Ordered a mini (with LTE, my 3rd gen only has wifi) and plan on using it a lot more. As of right now I am planning on giving my 3rd gen to my mom for christmas since she doesn't even have a usable computer. Hopefully the non retina display isn't too bad. I doubt it will be since The iPad 2 display wasn't that bad and the mini will be even more dense.

Read Engadget review. Talks about the display.

Just came across this: http://bgr.com/2012/10/31/ipad-mini-criticism-display/

Last edited:

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
This makes me a bit nervous... I wonder how I will perceive the resolution once I get my mini on Friday... I had 3 which is now sold... Have an iphone 5 (had 4 and 4S), and have a retina MBP... So a lot of retina..... Now I'm mentally prepared that the mini screen won't be as good... Not the reason I'm trying one out (which is mainly for the size, weight, transportability), but still makes me wonder if I'll be able to adapt... :confused:

Of course, the comments in the BGR article linked about are from Gruber who I find to be a flaming dickbag... so I take it with a grain of salt...

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Ok I finally got to an Apple store and the screen looks very good. From some of the reviews I thought it was going to be BAD. I will be getting a Black 16GB.

cpc12

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I have not picked up my iPad or laptop since getting my mini. I have not stopped playing with it since I unboxed it. My family is like what is going on with you...

The screen is great, battery even better.

Sell that iPad before it loses value.

This mini rocks !!!!!

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
I have not picked up my iPad or laptop since getting my mini. I have not stopped playing with it since I unboxed it. My family is like what is going on with you...

The screen is great, battery even better.

Sell that iPad before it loses value.

This mini rocks !!!!!

I'll keep my iPad 3 as a media for cartoons for my kids. I can load 32GB of educational cartoons we have a headrest holder for the truck. It will come in handy when we drive across country.

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Yep. I sold my iPad 3 yesterday. Pre-ordered an iPad mini this morning.

For me, I really want an "always with me, always available" tablet experience. While highly portable, my iPad 3 was too big and too awkward in many settings. Hoping the smaller form factor mini will fit the bill.

Mini is just that- after only 2 days, can't put it down!

jexner325

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I actually disagree. I have a iPad 3 and picked up a mini this weekend. I now have buyers remorse and am returning it tonight. I was planning on selling my iPad 3 and keeping the Mini. I love the size and build quality, but the screen is simply bad (in my opinion). I tried turning up the brightness and tinkering with it and trying to convince myself that it isn't "that bad". I also know that Apple will eventually slam a retina display in the mini and that could happen as soon as March. Therefore, I will hold it out and enjoy my retina display iPad 3 until the Mini is ready for prime time.

Spdracer

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Sold my wife's iPad 2 and bought her a mini. She loved it and I liked it too. Went out and bought a 32GB White mini for myself and looks great to me. Love the weight of it and screen looks fine to me.
Now I just need to sell my iPad 3 32 GB white

Amy wineBerry

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
I actually disagree. I have a iPad 3 and picked up a mini this weekend. I now have buyers remorse and am returning it tonight. I was planning on selling my iPad 3 and keeping the Mini. I love the size and build quality, but the screen is simply bad (in my opinion). I tried turning up the brightness and tinkering with it and trying to convince myself that it isn't "that bad". I also know that Apple will eventually slam a retina display in the mini and that could happen as soon as March. Therefore, I will hold it out and enjoy my retina display iPad 3 until the Mini is ready for prime time.

I have similar sentiments. Picked one up from Best Buy (got to love the 30 day return policy) under the premise that if I liked it, I'd keep it and sell my iPad 3, and if not, simply return it. The display isn't bad, it just isn't retina. As adorable and portable as the iPad mini is, at this point I think I'd much rather the retina on my iPad 3. Still giving the mini a shot though.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Thinking about it now, would love the smaller form factor. Will hit up the apple store tomorrow and check it out.

Transmitted from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Arghhhh I'm so on the fence with this. I want to get a MIni but I think it's more for the reason that I've been salivating over the idea of a smaller iPad forever. I have an iPad 3 and an iPhone 5 and I have never had a problem with size or weight on any of the iPads I've owned. So I think the Mini is purely a "I want it because it's new and awesome" play for me. I'm trying to resist but I feel my will power breaking at times.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh