Purchased iPad mini alongside iPad 4

clayton006

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
So I pre-ordered both devices and not sure if I will end up using both. I have an iPad 3 right now and love it, but I like to stay current with hardware. My iPad 3 spends most of its time in my laptop bag alongside my Retina MBP. I figure the mini iPad would be something that could be an extension of my current iOS content but at a more manageable size while on the run. I opted for 16gb wifi as my main iPad is 64gb and my iPhone 5 has tethering. I may end up gifting both iPad mini's I ordered to my parents.

Main question is, is anyone going to roll with both a large iPad and the mini and if so how do you see yourself using both.

andsoitgoes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I'll play with the Mini while setting it up for my kids to use at Christmas, but honestly, having the retina display will be the focus of all my attention, even on trips. How can you go to read on a smaller device when you've seen a retina display!

I'm excited to get this for my kids, though. I was going to give them my old iPhone 4, but seeing as I can sell that for CLOSE to the launch price of the 16gb mini, I'd be crazy to not give them the Mini instead.

I just need a protective case, wish there were some cheap ones on the make already.

clayton006

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I see what you mean. I was trying to think If I would carry the mini around more when I don't have my laptop bag around with me and use it as a functional and easy way to get to my calendar and Facebook but with a larger display than my iPhone 5. Probably not much use to having a mini as well as a big iPad.

May 10, 2011
Visit site
For the life of me I cannot understand why you would buy any of these devices when you don't even use them or even know why you are buying them. I know people call Apple fans iSheep but wow. I know it's a free country and you can spend your money how you want but this sure seems like money just flushed down the drain no matter how much of it you have.

clayton006

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Well you must misunderstand, I use my current iPad, MBP, and obviously iPhone every day. I'm mainly looking to poll a group of people who find more ways to be productive with additional hardware. If you'll notice I said "I'm not sure I'll end up using both" not "I don't use either and I'm just throwing more money away". My iPad spends a lot of time in my laptop bag because I can't use it at work, so that sentence could have been worded more accurately. Unfortunately your comments on iSheep and my usability seem premature and uninformed.

May 10, 2011
Visit site
So if your iPad 3 spends most of its time in your laptop bag why on earth would you order an iPad 4? Explain to me how that six month newer iPad is going to make your life better and more productive. Look, I am all for being as productive as possible but just don't understand buying all the devices and then trying to figure out how you are going to be productive with them. Polling a group for their input is one thing but what you have done is buy ALL of them and then try and figure out how you want to use them.

clayton006

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
So if your iPad 3 spends most of its time in your laptop bag why on earth would you order an iPad 4? Explain to me how that six month newer iPad is going to make your life better and more productive. Look, I am all for being as productive as possible but just don't understand buying all the devices and then trying to figure out how you are going to be productive with them. Polling a group for their input is one thing but what you have done is buy ALL of them and then try and figure out how you want to use them.

I just addressed this "iPad spends most of it's time in the bag" statement in an earlier post. And I don't approach any hardware decision (my home built dual xeon system, gaming computer, gaming consoles, apple hardware) based on how it will make my life "better". They serve a functional or entertainment purpose.

You are entitled to "not understand" on how I buy "everything" and figure out how to use it all, but to be fair, most people did this with the first and subsequent iPads. In fact, I would imagine most people have a basic idea of how they may use a device, but don't realize fully how a device(s) will be fully useful to them until after they've had some real hands on time with them. I don't believe there is anything wrong or inefficient with my approach. The most likely outcome of my purchase is that I will gift the iPad mini's to a member of my family and keep the iPad "4" to myself the more I think about it. It is better to pre-order what I may end up using, and then later return or gift it to someone who may be able to use this more.

Some people sell their old hardware and buy the latest sometimes just to offset the cost of newer hardware. It is a never ending cycle, but I fall into this group with iPhones, iPads, and Video Cards. If this is your hobby and you can cost justify it without breaking the bank, then so be it. Some people are hardware junkies and that's what we do.

It sounds however that you are complaining that I have too much money for my own good, or I'm somehow letting good hardware go to waste. If so fine, but I would imagine a decent group of people don't see it that way.

This post was mainly for my own curiosity if people were going to roll with both a regular sized iPad and an iPad mini. I'd like to hear more opinions on the subject. People who fly regularly? People who have a mobile office or are always on the run?

KCook3

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Bought a 64 gig white IPad Mini for my wife and I 64 gig IPad Black for me. Both have ATT LTE:) I am replacing the IPad (first one) and this is her first.

KC

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Had a iPad 3 sold it, mainly cause I wanted the iPad mini. Took that money and fully paid for the iPad Mini. Then I got very concerned about the non-retina display, so decided I'd go ahead and order the iPad 4. Then if I find that the iPad mini's display is acceptable, I'll just send back the iPad 4. I will end up with only one as I don't see a need for both. I did purchase a Nexus 7 which I found I took with me a lot more because of the smaller size. But I just decided I was not spending money re-buying all the apps I had already purchased for iOS. So, after about 6 weeks I sold it. I do like the smaller device and I hope the iPad mini display will be acceptable, but I'll admit I am spoiled with Retina display on previous iPad 3 and my iPhone 5.

pink2

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
I was going to get the mini before the announcement and was really excited about it. I have had an iPhone 4 and now I have the iPhone 5, but never have had an iPad. When I really looked at what the mini has to offer I felt it was too close in size to my phone and am worried that I will have the same issue I have with my phone - I have a hard time reading a lot of things that I can't zoom in on. So I have decided that I am going to get the iPad 4th gen. It might be heavier, but I think I will get more productive use out of it. And it will be a lot lighter than my notebook which is what I use at home that weighs almost ten lbs. I just have to decide what size I want. I'm leaning towards the 32 since my phone is 64.

andsoitgoes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Seems to me like someone just wanted to brag about how many Apple toys they have...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Says the person that has a signature advertising to the world all the various iDevices they own... seriously, pot meet kettle.

And the thread has validity, we all are here because we're huge apple fanatics. The only devices I won't replace with an Apple product are desktop computers. IN no world can I justify the premium and limitations of a Mac computer.

And Robin, I agree. The mini, I think, is great for the younger crowd, or those looking to have an iPad 2 but far more compact. I was going to give my iPhone 4 to my kids (deactivated of course) as an iPod Touch, but seeing that I can sell the 4 for close to the price of the Mini, it was a no brainer.

I'm glad I have a few months on the device before they'll use it. I refuse to pay initial retail prices on the Otterbox cases. Seeing as the otterbox iPhone 5 cases are already half price on Amazon, I'll be able to get a far better price in about a month, well in time for Christmas.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
And the thread has validity, we all are here because we're huge apple fanatics. The only devices I won't replace with an Apple product are desktop computers. IN no world can I justify the premium and limitations of a Mac computer.

And Robin, I agree. The mini, I think, is great for the younger crowd, or those looking to have an iPad 2 but far more compact. I was going to give my iPhone 4 to my kids (deactivated of course) as an iPod Touch, but seeing that I can sell the 4 for close to the price of the Mini, it was a no brainer.

Very similar to me. I don't use Apple desktops as I build my own PCs to my own exacting high specs (although I will have to spend a couple of months away from home shortly and have been toying with the idea of getting a MacBook Air or Retina MacBook Pro).

I use my iPad daily in and around the house, as well as on long train journeys. It is far and away the tech gadget that gets the most use, apart from my uber PC. I love the idea of an iPad Mini but just don't have a use for it at the moment When I eventually upgrade my iPad 2 to a new Retina iPad, and I honestly have no ideas as to when that will happen as my current iPad does everything I need it to do, then I shall give my old iPad to Mrs HRD. The only time I might upgrade early is when I next go back to the USA for work. I may pick up one of the new iPad 4's when I am over there as the US price is almost ?200 cheaper than over here in the UK.

jimmysuggs

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I've been waiting for the mini since the ipad first launched and I'm glad it's finally here. The actual ipad is just too damn heavy for extended periods of reading or watching a movie or even just playing dumb little games. It's a nice device, but I personally wanted something lighter and more portable and as far as I can tell- the mini fits the bill.

As for the lack of retina, I really could care less about that. I have no idea what the big deal about retina is and have never understood the fervor. I went from a 3GS to 4S and really didn't notice any difference between the two. I'm wondering if retina is just for people who are super into pixels and density and what not. Because I'm just a regular user and I honestly see no huge advantage to retina. I guess it'd be nice to have it in the mini but I'm also guessing I will never miss it.

agentmobile

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
I've been waiting for the mini since the ipad first launched and I'm glad it's finally here. The actual ipad is just too damn heavy for extended periods of reading or watching a movie or even just playing dumb little games. It's a nice device, but I personally wanted something lighter and more portable and as far as I can tell- the mini fits the bill.

As for the lack of retina, I really could care less about that. I have no idea what the big deal about retina is and have never understood the fervor. I went from a 3GS to 4S and really didn't notice any difference between the two. I'm wondering if retina is just for people who are super into pixels and density and what not. Because I'm just a regular user and I honestly see no huge advantage to retina. I guess it'd be nice to have it in the mini but I'm also guessing I will never miss it.

I understand where your coming from- but next time you go to an apple store hold up the iPad 2 next to the iPad 3 or 4 or hold the old MBP up next to the Retina MPB and if u can't see that major difference between retina and non, then u may need glasses lol. I didn't notice the difference switching from 3G to 4S either, until I picked a 3G back up and then I was like WOW it was so much of a difference. And I even realized just how much nicer the display is on the 5 compared to the 4S the other day I held my buddy's 4S next to my 5 and mine kills the 4S display IMO. Probably because apple is now using a sRGB Color Gamut which produces very accurate true colors, not way over saturated like those horrible AMOLED screens. Then again, I'm kind of a pixel fanatic myself , displays intrigue me and I go for quality.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

CandyBean

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
no... i would only use the ipad.. not the ipad mini. i carry a big purse anyway, so i feel like.. why would i use the smaller ipad if i can use the big one. only purchased it as a present for my younger cousin. would probably play with it for a while to see how it is but will stick with my 9.7inch display, thank you.

IAmAuthority

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
So I pre-ordered both devices and not sure if I will end up using both. I have an iPad 3 right now and love it, but I like to stay current with hardware. My iPad 3 spends most of its time in my laptop bag alongside my *Retina MBP*.

Someone's clearly bragging about their tech-toys. Not only did you mention a laptop bag (you had to list yet another Apple device you have). I'm not hating, I'm just saying you are bragging whether or not you intend to.

PS: For what it's worth, having an iPad 3 and an iPad Mini is ridiculous IMO. They are the same exact thing, one bigger than the other. I also don't see how you expect us to know what you use your devices for. Only you can decide if it's something you'll use enough to keep - no point in asking other people what you should do.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711