Ipad mini price!!!! Horrible

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I disagree. Apple market themselves as a premium brand. You pay premium for the "Experience" . Just like buying a BMW.
Except the "Experience" in this case is the privilege of buying more stuff(apps, music, accessories etc) from Apple's HUGH store.

However, with BMW you generally get a better overall product than, say, a Kia that still looks nice and is a decent enough car and will do pretty much exactly what the masses need/want. The mini isn't necessarily a better product than a Nexus 7 or a Fire HD just on screens alone.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I really think the entry level mini should have been under $300, even if it was for an 8gb model. Psychological studies have shown that $300 is the threshold for the average consumer for impulse purchases. Anything over $300 and it is no longer in that "impulse purchase" realm.

I know Apple doesn't have to worry about that because they're Apple and because it's an Apple product it will sell a bajillion. But I think they slightly missed the mark on price. They'll be missing out on a considerable sector of the purchasing public.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I really think the entry level mini should have been under $300, even if it was for an 8gb model. Psychological studies have shown that $300 is the threshold for the average consumer for impulse purchases. Anything over $300 and it is no longer in that "impulse purchase" realm.

I know Apple doesn't have to worry about that because they're Apple and because it's an Apple product it will sell a bajillion. But I think they slightly missed the mark on price. They'll be missing out on a considerable sector of the purchasing public.

I'd seriously like to see the source for that statement.

- - - Updated - - -

I was hoping for $249 but at $329 I will buy the new Nexus 7 coming out soon. For me it boils down to price, I have an iPad 3 which is definitely too heavy at times. I believe Apple screwed this one up with pricing but we'll have to wait and see. Stay tuned...

That will be true of many who purchase solely on price. The devices are significantly different and the iPad's specs are better, IMHO, but if one cannot afford $329, it's not an option for them.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

- - - Updated - - -

That will be true of many who purchase solely on price. The devices are significantly different and the iPad's specs are better, IMHO, but if one cannot afford $329, it's not an option for them.

Learned it in Economics class as well as Dave Ramsey's Financial Freedom class.

Obviously the figure is different depending on your economic status. But that's the typical number quoted for impulse buys for the average middle class consumer.

Why do you think so many people on this thread and in the interwebz are saying "if it only started at $299"? That's that psychological number. :)

Last edited:

KCMike

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
All of the Apple products are expensive. As for the Mini I was hoping for something in the range of $249-$279. At $329 I'll just end up going with the $379 refurb iPad 3.

- - - Updated - - -

Why do you think so many people on this thread and in the interwebz are saying "if it only started at $299"? That's that psychological number. :)

That's a good point. At this point in the game I can't really afford any price -- maybe $79. :p

gimpy_hb

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
dude you had a good argument till you said the ipad mini had far superior specs over a nexus 7. fact check before you open your trap. nexus 7 has a quad core, better resolution, most apps are across both platforms now, and jelly bean with project butter just makes the price point even better.

Santi4407

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
It will sell like crazy! I have an iPad 3 but a I can absolutely see the convenience of having a smaller and lighter iPad. But the retina is a deal breaker so most likely a next run for me. Lastly I absolutely believe Apple could have been more competitive with pricing. Seems like they just knew they didn't need to place a competitive price point to still sell record breaking numbers so they didn't!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
dude you had a good argument till you said the ipad mini had far superior specs over a nexus 7. fact check before you open your trap. nexus 7 has a quad core, better resolution, most apps are across both platforms now, and jelly bean with project butter just makes the price point even better.

What about apps and the user experience? iPad Mini, hands down... the Apple ecosystem will be what carries the day.

fmflex

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

I agree. I wanted to get the iPad mini and because of the non retina screen as well as price (I expected 249-299) I will not be getting one. Instead I will probably get another iPad 3 (apple selling refurb 16gb wifi for 379).

For example when google announced the new chromebook for 249, I ordered one before I finished reading the press release. $300 is definitely a psychological threshold.

PRWBRIT

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I think the price is a bit of a joke. I think the iphone, ipad and macbook are great.The problem with the price of the mini is that it is not far of the price of the old ipad 2. The competition the nexus, fire and balckberry tabs are all cheaper and of similiar size. They are obviously banking on people buying the name, Steve Jobs didn't think a mini version of the Ipad would work and in away he is right as it is not cost effective to the consumer. But they will sell. Yhe other qustion is the memory capacity, this is low I believe 16gb yes its a portable but you can purchase 32gb Kindle fire for less than the basic model of the ipad mini. The price does not justify the model.

agentmobile

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
i think apple's pricing has gotten a bit weird too... im wondering how many people will just purchase this over the ipod touch.. just fork over a bit more and you get a tablet instead of an mp3 player.. (yea.. i know, it's so much more than an mp3 player blah blah blah..)

Never really saw the point of the iPod touch if u have an iPhone as well....seems kind of redundant to own both. I'm def going with the new iPad with retina display though, I'm kind of on the fence about which I should choose between that and the mini, but considering I've never really owned a tablet myself, I figure I should go all out and grab the iPad 4. Since the apps are formatted to fit the iPad , are the apps bigger in size? Cause I was gonna just get the 16GB but I have a 32GB iPhone so I think I'll just go with a 32GB for the iPad as well, and I was leaning towards wifi only but now I'm thinking I should get the cellular one, for those of u who own iPads - what do I recommend? Do u use the cellular on it a lot?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

djstarion

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I had a nexus 7 for two weeks and returned it. There are some good/bad things about it but I would rather have the iPad mini. The price is fair. It's not great and it's not outrageous. No one complained much about the $299 iPod touch. And now a $329 iPad mini is outrageous?

It does offer many upgrades over iPad 2. I'm pretty sure it will be $299 for their Black Friday sale :)

Also why would apple want the low end tablet market and not make money on it? They can have it anytime they want by dropping the price. It's not as easy going the other way around. Remember the original iPhone and the price drop?
I would have kept my N7 but I had so many issues with mine, and they were all hardware related. It just felt kind of cheap and I had a lot of screen separation issues., so I ended up returning it and getting the 7 inch Galaxy Tab 2, and it fits my needs perfectly. I like having the option of different ecosystems between Google Play and iTunes. As far as the iPad mini, I'd have to try it out first, but like someone else said, it'd almost be better to get the refurb iPad 3 for a bit more.

kralnor

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
It's more than I was hoping, but even then I was expecting $299.

I think others expectations were too high. They wanted iPad 3/4 specs in a smaller size and Playbook pricing. It will never happen.

It may be technology from the iPad 2, but it's still going to be a great device that will appeal to those wanting a smaller device. It may also draw in people (like me) who never adopted the regular iPad because of the $500+ price tag and large size.

I was right there with you, but I just can't convince myself to pay $600 for a device that is 1.5 generations behind the curve in terms of the internals. I know I'll feel like a real dumbass in 6mos when my ipad mini is chugging along and they announce the new retina a5x version for the same price.

I would have paid for a smaller iPad that was closer to the current generation, but I'm not that interested in a mini with the old chip. I realize current content doesn't require anything more powerful but this feels too much like jumping in on the shallow side of the pool.

I'm thinking my first iPad will be the full size 4th gen at this point.

Shilohcane

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

- - - Updated - - -

Some of the specs of the iPad mini are better than the Nexus 7 not all.

The iPad mini weighs 0.68 lbs/308 grams. N7 weight is 0.75 lbs/340 grams

The iPad Mini size 7.9 x 5.3 x 0.28 inches. N7 size 7.8 x 4.7 x 0.41 inches.

iPad Mini display 7.9-inch IPS, 1,024x768 pixels (163 ppi). N7 display 7-inch IPS, 1,280x800 pixels (216 ppi)

iPad storage 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB. N7 Storage currently 8GB, 16GB. (Note on 29th release 16GB, 32GB and 8GB model withdrawn)

iPad Mini Camera 5-megapixel rear-facing, 1080p HD video; 1.2-megapixel front-facing camera, 720 HD video, N7 1.2-megapixel front-facing (No rear-facing)

iPad Mini Battery"16.3-watt-hour"; 10 hours battery life (rated). N7 Battery 4,325 mAh; 10.1 hours video battery life (tested).

iPad Mini Cell moden 4G LTE versions available. N7 currently Wi-Fi only ( Note rumor on 29th of 3G cell moden)

iPad Mini color black or white. N7 black.

iPad NFC no support. N7 NFC supported.

iPad Mini Processor Dual-core A5 processor. N7 Processor Quad-core Nvidia Tegra 3.

Price ( will all change on Nov 29th but N7 will be cheaper)

For the record N7 Quad-core Nvidia Tegra 3 is twice as fast as the iPad 3 A5X processors which is faster than the iPad Mini A5.

Video Nexus 7 vs iPad 3 CPU

Nexus 7 vs iPad | Fastest Android Tablet EVER - YouTube

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Can't compare tech to a car. In a few years the car, although not the newest and greatest will still run on same gas as a brand new one. Your tech in a few years will not be able to run the same software.

I was not comparing tech to a car. I was just trying to point out the similarity of paying a premium for a brand. In this case Apple and BMW.
People are willing to pay the premuim for the status and perceived benefit of the "Experience."

- - - Updated - - -

It is really high compared to Nexus 7,Kindle Fire HD and Nook HD. And these three android tablets are all great .

But it is not an Apple.

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
However, with BMW you generally get a better overall product than, say, a Kia that still looks nice and is a decent enough car and will do pretty much exactly what the masses need/want. The mini isn't necessarily a better product than a Nexus 7 or a Fire HD just on screens alone.

You are missing the point. I'm not saying the Apple Mini is better. Apple is selling (marketing) the Apple experience. This is what premium brand cars have been doing for decades.
Unlike PC, comparing tablets base on specs is useless because they are running different OS and have different ecosystems. If consumers are choicing tablets base on specs, the BB Playbook would have been the #1 selling tablet.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Some of the specs of the iPad mini are better than the Nexus 7 not all.

The iPad mini weighs 0.68 lbs/308 grams. N7 weight is 0.75 lbs/340 grams

The iPad Mini size 7.9 x 5.3 x 0.28 inches. N7 size 7.8 x 4.7 x 0.41 inches.

iPad Mini display 7.9-inch IPS, 1,024x768 pixels (163 ppi). N7 display 7-inch IPS, 1,280x800 pixels (216 ppi)

iPad storage 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB. N7 Storage currently 8GB, 16GB. (Note on 29th release 16GB, 32GB and 8GB model withdrawn)

iPad Mini Camera 5-megapixel rear-facing, 1080p HD video; 1.2-megapixel front-facing camera, 720 HD video, N7 1.2-megapixel front-facing (No rear-facing)

iPad Mini Battery"16.3-watt-hour"; 10 hours battery life (rated). N7 Battery 4,325 mAh; 10.1 hours video battery life (tested).

iPad Mini Cell moden 4G LTE versions available. N7 currently Wi-Fi only ( Note rumor on 29th of 3G cell moden)

iPad Mini color black or white. N7 black.

iPad NFC no support. N7 NFC supported.

iPad Mini Processor Dual-core A5 processor. N7 Processor Quad-core Nvidia Tegra 3.

Price ( will all change on Nov 29th but N7 will be cheaper)

For the record N7 Quad-core Nvidia Tegra 3 is twice as fast as the iPad 3 A5X processors which is faster than the iPad Mini A5.

Video Nexus 7 vs iPad 3 CPU

Nexus 7 vs iPad | Fastest Android Tablet EVER - YouTube

The specs that you left off the list:

The iPad brings with it the Apple Experience... and the ecosystem - the app store and 275,000 apps.

The price difference is not $130, but rather $80 for the 16GB model of each (the $199 Nexus 7 us an al). The iPad Mini has a rear camera, a larger viewing area, and offers cellular (LTE) connectivity - which the Nexus 7 does not. The iPad Mini is also lighter, thinner and has an aluminum case vs plastic on the Nexus 7...

Last edited:

scottae316

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
Disappointed in the price. I think they should have put the retina display for the price point. Someone pointed out that it costs $200 to build one leaving $129 for profit. Others have said that this is not a Kindle where they make profit from consumption. Um... First, Apple gets a cut from every app sold. Second that is a really high profit margin. Apple will sell truck loads of the mini, they could have sold boat loads if the specs were more in line with the price including 2 from me, now 0.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
The price honestly doesn't matter. It's Apple and they're going to sell! Why? Because Apple products are "cool" and they "work" unlike some other products. I remember when lost my iPhone 4 and I had to use a Droid Razr for a month. Lets just say I almost cried when I got another iPhone. They should steal Nike's slogan and change it to "Just Works"

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods