View Poll Results: Will you be getting an iPad Mini?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell Yeah pre-ordering this Friday

55 51.89%
  • Yeah but will wait for the 2nd generation with Retina

22 20.75%
  • I already have an iPad

22 20.75%
  • iPad Mini is out?

7 6.60%
    I have no argument with the resolution. I am happy with the resolution on my iPad 2. It's the glare on the screen while trying to read outside or waiting in my car that keeps me from using it to read there. The iPad mini won't be any different and that is a deal breaker. :-( I would even pay the price if it were anti-glare...

Oh, yeah, I'm 71 and might not have a couple of years. <g>
    10-23-2012 07:52 PM
    I have no argument with the resolution. I am happy with the resolution on my iPad 2. It's the glare on the screen while trying to read outside or waiting in my car that keeps me from using it to read there. The iPad mini won't be any different and that is a deal breaker. :-( I would even pay the price if it were anti-glare...

Oh, yeah, I'm 71 and might not have a couple of years. <g>
    or you could have 20 more... Come on !!!
    10-23-2012 07:55 PM
    I'm not sure what people were expecting. iPad 3/4 specs, and a smaller size at the price of a Playbook?

I admit paying $329 is more than I'd like, but even then I was expecting $299.

I'm not 100% sold on it yet, but I like the size. I was thinking of a refurb iPad 3 but I'd rather just stick with the new lightning connector.
    10-23-2012 08:03 PM
    The price is not right in my opinion but it's a good start, remember this is their first product on the small tablet market and they always start with a very conservative approach, it is only gonna get better over the next couple of years.
    I really think Apple messed up on this one.. There's a huge psychological factor to pricing the device above the $300 price point. Also, there's the psychological factor of the entry point price. The Google Nexus 7 starts at $199 for the 8GB model... but clearly 8GB is really pushing the limits for a tablet. So most people buy (or try to buy) the 16GB version for $249.

What Apple should have done, in my opinion, is create an entry level iPad Mini at a lower price point (say $249) for 8GB, and then pricing the 16GB version at $329 or even $349 would have seemed like a more competitive deal. By doing that, Apple would have gained the benefit of a sub-$300 entry point, and won the psychological battle.

Even though the iPad Mini is, again IMO, far superior spec-wise to the Nexus 7, the entry points are $130 apart, and that is going to play as a huge difference to the average consumer... despite the superior specs and the 8GB memory bump.

Time will tell how this plays out, and no doubt, Apple will still sell a ton of them... but this device at this price point will not kill the android tablet competition. If anything, it will solidify their position as the low-cost entry level tablet of choice for the masses who shop in price alone.
    10-23-2012 08:40 PM
    Prob will get one for the wife but ill stick with my iPad 2 until iPad 5 comes the 4th gen seemed like bump just cause they wanted to change the connecter
    10-23-2012 08:52 PM
    I would love to get one but I am going to wait. I am only waiting bc I am afraid they will release the retina version in springtime......for $329 and retina I think it is a great deal, $329 for that display is a little steep IMO.....Apple can only blame themselves on me wanting retina, they spoiled me!
    ALborntoride likes this.
    10-23-2012 09:37 PM
    I'm getting one courtesy of work... got them to cost one out to me since I use my personal ipad at work so often...
    10-23-2012 10:03 PM
    Ordering a 16GB on Friday. It will be nice to go back to actual tablet apps after using a Nexus 7 lately.
    DaPhoneking likes this.
    10-23-2012 11:17 PM
    Ill be putting my order in on friday
    10-24-2012 12:44 AM
    I want a LTE device and unfortunately they are not available until November, so I will be pre-ordering one as soon as they are announced.
    10-24-2012 12:52 AM
    I would love to get one but I am going to wait. I am only waiting bc I am afraid they will release the retina version in springtime......for $329 and retina I think it is a great deal, $329 for that display is a little steep IMO.....Apple can only blame themselves on me wanting retina, they spoiled me!
    Interesting thought there...but with the size of the tablet, do you really need retina display? Not bashing your personal choice, but just curious.

I may be pre-ordering, though I really would rather see one in person and play with it. I have not made up my mind yet, but I have definitely been waiting for a smaller iPad.
    10-24-2012 12:58 AM
    I wonder if iMore will be having another preorder pajama party lol...
    10-24-2012 01:06 AM
    I see everyone is knocking the screen. All the on hands reviews I've read seem to be positive. Guess I will just wait and see one in person. I'm assuming Apple will have them in stores on the 2nd?
    10-24-2012 01:45 AM
    I see everyone is knocking the screen. All the on hands reviews I've read seem to be positive. Guess I will just wait and see one in person. I'm assuming Apple will have them in stores on the 2nd?
    Yes.
    10-24-2012 04:30 AM
    Count me in. I'm gonna get it
    10-24-2012 05:29 AM
    Oh I think the screen will look fine, it's not like you will pick it up and want to throw it against the wall in disgust, I just don't "need" one and this is the Jedi mind trick I am using so I can hold off until the next version.

Plus I really think they are going to release the retina version in the spring and lower the price of this one, just like what they have now with the 4th gen iPad and the iPad 2.
    10-24-2012 07:35 AM
    I have been waiting for Apple to release this cause i have been wanting another tablet but....i don't think i'm going to invest in the first gen mini. I"m sure it will sell millions and people will love it and that's great. But it doesn't excite me for a few reasons. 1-the screen is not what I want. Let me repeat...not what i want. Other people will love it and will praise Apple for their newest design...fine...I will wait for gen 2. 2-cost is more than i want to pay right now. With 7" tablets becoming more popular, finding the sweet spot between cost and hardware is tough. I truly believe that $200-250 is the sweet spot for the 7" tablet and that is just my opinion. $329 is a little steep for something that I want but do not need. For others it may be different but I do think Apple could have put the nail in the coffin on Android tablets if they had released the mini at $250 or even $299. And 3-for me, there is no wow factor. I mean its a great tablet and will sell millions. But when the ipad 1 and 2 came out, i wanted them and drove over 2 hours to get one. With the iphone, i wanted one and stood in line for over 3 hours to get one (small town and not too many tech people that want the newest thing..LOL) and i love my iphone. Wouldn't trade it for anything. With any purchase, i always try to look at all players and choose the best that fits for me. The iphone won over the Galaxy S3. My Sony Vaio won over Toshiba and even Apple (cost plays into it), Xbox over Ps3. With tablets, i will wait until i can play with the mini before i make my choice. I will say that there is no better time to be a techie with all the great tablets, phones, and computers coming out.
    10-24-2012 09:03 AM
    I have been waiting for Apple to release this cause i have been wanting another tablet but....i don't think i'm going to invest in the first gen mini. I"m sure it will sell millions and people will love it and that's great. But it doesn't excite me for a few reasons. 1-the screen is not what I want. Let me repeat...not what i want. Other people will love it and will praise Apple for their newest design...fine...I will wait for gen 2. 2-cost is more than i want to pay right now. With 7" tablets becoming more popular, finding the sweet spot between cost and hardware is tough. I truly believe that $200-250 is the sweet spot for the 7" tablet and that is just my opinion. $329 is a little steep for something that I want but do not need. For others it may be different but I do think Apple could have put the nail in the coffin on Android tablets if they had released the mini at $250 or even $299. And 3-for me, there is no wow factor. I mean its a great tablet and will sell millions. But when the ipad 1 and 2 came out, i wanted them and drove over 2 hours to get one. With the iphone, i wanted one and stood in line for over 3 hours to get one (small town and not too many tech people that want the newest thing..LOL) and i love my iphone. Wouldn't trade it for anything. With any purchase, i always try to look at all players and choose the best that fits for me. The iphone won over the Galaxy S3. My Sony Vaio won over Toshiba and even Apple (cost plays into it), Xbox over Ps3. With tablets, i will wait until i can play with the mini before i make my choice. I will say that there is no better time to be a techie with all the great tablets, phones, and computers coming out.
    I think they weren't trying to get as many current iPad users as they were people who don't currently have an iPad.

At $329 and a smaller form it really attracts those who didn't want to pay $499 and have a big tablet.

But like you say, they will sell millions, I'm just debating on whether I'll be a statistic.
    10-24-2012 09:07 AM
    Ordering a 16GB on Friday. It will be nice to go back to actual tablet apps after using a Nexus 7 lately.
    Ditto here. I also like the fact that the screen is a bit bigger than the Nexus 7's. I always felt the Nexus needed to be a tad wider. The iPad Mini is perfect for my needs. I'll be ordering one on Friday. My girlfriend has an iPad 2 and I've never felt that the screen needed improvement. It's nice but I don't need a retina display.
    10-24-2012 11:23 AM
    I wonder if iMore will be having another preorder pajama party lol...
    Oooh yea! I hope so! That was fun
    DaPhoneking likes this.
    10-24-2012 11:35 AM
    Only if it's free in a contest. Otherwise, no tablets ever for me.
    10-24-2012 11:39 AM
    Nope: the screen of the mini is to small - but seriously: I found that the normal iPad screen size at close to 10" is perfect for my purpose ( email, internet, reading ), so I won't go for a smaller screen.
    10-24-2012 12:24 PM
    My daughter really wants one. She has been using my iPad 3 and says it is too big. She has saved up her money and wants me to preorder it on Friday. Does anyone know if this will sell out pre orders like iPhone 5. Do I actually have to get up at 3:00 AM Eastern Time to order one, or can I wake up normal time, 6 AM ET to order it.

Also, my only worry is that really no cases will be available on release day. If the back is just like the iPhone 5, it really needs to be protected right off the back. The Smart Cover really doesn't protect much. I saw Spigen has the screen protectors available for sale, but the size could be wrong.

Should I order the iPad mini for her and hope cases and screen protectors are available at launch, or just don't let her use it until some are available?
    10-24-2012 12:39 PM
    My daughter really wants one. She has been using my iPad 3 and says it is too big. She has saved up her money and wants me to preorder it on Friday. Does anyone know if this will sell out pre orders like iPhone 5. Do I actually have to get up at 3:00 AM Eastern Time to order one, or can I wake up normal time, 6 AM ET to order it.

Also, my only worry is that really no cases will be available on release day. If the back is just like the iPhone 5, it really needs to be protected right off the back. The Smart Cover really doesn't protect much. I saw Spigen has the screen protectors available for sale, but the size could be wrong.

Should I order the iPad mini for her and hope cases and screen protectors are available at launch, or just don't let her use it until some are available?
    I would order 3am but that's me lol

I'm sure cases will be available and if not just let her use it but not take it anywhere until it has one meaning I you use it your sitting down on a couch or bed not at a table or outside we're accidents could happen .. But I would beat cases will be out at launch
    10-24-2012 12:54 PM
    If I really wanted to buy it, I still wouldn't buy it. Simply because Apple has spoiled
    me with retina displays. I'm not going to use another Apple product without retina
    display. Ever again.
    cardfan and Guacho like this.
    10-24-2012 01:30 PM
91 1234