iPad mini price

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Any one else surprised about the 329 price ?
I was hoping for a 299 at the highest an think that would dominate but 329 is kind of unlike apple pricing

Owell the wife wants one maybe for Xmas I am content with my 64 gig iPad 2 as it does everything I need it too

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
No, not really. When Rene asked us to guess the price, I guessed $249 with the assumption that it would be the price of a rumored 8 gig version.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The price isn't THAT out of line... but I don't think this is the "android tablet killer" price... $249 or $299 would have done that... but I can accept $329 as a "fair price"

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
That's true I wish they did do a 8 gig but with iPad app sizes I see why they didn't. It prob was difficult to hit the 249 or 299 price

I know it will sell like crazy anyway but I could only imagine the crazy with a lower price point

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
That's true I wish they did do a 8 gig but with iPad app sizes I see why they didn't. It prob was difficult to hit the 249 or 299 price

I know it will sell like crazy anyway but I could only imagine the crazy with a lower price point

And that is the difference... the early rumors of the $249/$299 price point was for the 8GB version, which IMHO, would be functionally unusable... 16GB is much more usable.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
It's cheaper than what I guessed. 349. But that was assuming a 8gb 299 version.

I think it'll sell well. The thin and lightness of it is night and day compared to the bigger ipads. But not only is it the same processor as the more expensive ipad 2, it packs LTE and better cameras.

richard_rsp

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have thought about this a bit and have come to a conclusion: at that price, Apple isn't competing with competition as much as with itself. Apple has given no incentive for iPad owners to own both an iPad and iPad mini, so it will mainly be a choice for new tablet buyers.

While people still have to make a decision to go Android or Apple (or Blackberry or webOS - maybe); a good bit of this choice (for a lot of the population) is based on price. They have to choose to spend $200 or $329+. But if they choose Apple, the decision on this device is whether they want to go with the iPad Mini OR the regular iPad - taking business from the regular iPad market, not really from Android. Make sense?

Personally, I own an iPad 2 (bought Oct 2011) and a Nexus 7. I like the iPad for its apps and the Nexus for its size/price, so I was HOPING to sell them both and use the iPad mini as a compromise between the two. But after hearing the price vs specs (mainly $329 for the A5 processor, same as the iPad I already own), I can't justify selling a device that is already the same for something just smaller.

So, I will just stick with my current configuration. I really wish they would have put the A6 in there, at least then I would feel like its an upgrade from the iPad 2 (or buy in addition to my current iPad).

It's probably better that way because its giving me an opportunity to try out Android - something I haven't been brave enough to do with a phone w/ a 2 year contract...

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the price is too high. Apple have always market their product as the "Experience". So you expect to pay a premium for that "Experience".
What they don't tell you is that you are expected to pay between $100-$200 premium for the privilage to buy from their large selection of apps in the app store not for their OS nor for their hardware.
To some the premium could be view as a status thing. Like buying a BMW vs a Honda. They both serve the same purpose for the majority of the people.
Let's face it, the tablet market is still in it's infancy. A lot of people don't know what they are going to use the tablet for nor what these things are worth. Since the IPAD product is the most expensive, it must be the best. The majority of the consumer market just use it for internet, email, video chat, ebook, watching movies and displaying photos. For these requirments, most tablets in the market can do these things.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I don't think the price is too high. Apple have always market their product as the "Experience". So you expect to pay a premium for that "Experience".
What they don't tell you is that you are expected to pay between $100-$200 premium for the privilage to buy from their large selection of apps in the app store not for their OS nor for their hardware.
To some the premium could be view as a status thing. Like buying a BMW vs a Honda. They both serve the same purpose for the majority of the people.
Let's face it, the tablet market is still in it's infancy. A lot of people don't know what they are going to use the tablet for nor what these things are worth. Since the IPAD product is the most expensive, it must be the best. The majority of the consumer market just use it for internet, email, video chat, ebook, watching movies and displaying photos. For these requirments, most tablets in the market can do these things.

I agree. It seems as if people have forgotten Apple is a premium brand and their business is hardware. They don't go to market without getting a healthy margin on hardware.

Or to put it this way...Apple has itunes, app stores, icloud, and all that to sell hardware at healthy margins. Amazon has tablets sold break even to help them with their primary business, ecommerce and online goods. Google sells cheap tablets at no margin to promote its latest OS to devs, and set the bar with its partners. Googles primary business is search and ads.

So whatever the Kindle or Nexus 7 is priced at is irrelevant. Apple has to get their margin in.

And it is a premium experience with apps made for tablets, LTE options, quality mats. And perhaps even more important, there are quality apps made by amazon and google. With one ipad mini, you get most of what the other platforms have to offer. Amazon Prime movies, Kindle, google apps, etc. There's always rumors about MS offering up Office soon. Google maps is on the way.

The same can't be said about that Kindle. Or that Nexus 7. Neither can run any of apple's offerings. You might say you don't need them but there's millions of iOS users using exclusive Apple services like facetime, imessage, iOS gamecenter, itunes, etc. I'd rather have that option than not.

Shan S.

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
It is really high,Nexus 7 with 16G is only $249.

Remember that google and amazon sell their products at cost so no profit at all on their hardware. That is why people and sites are saying they feel a bit cheap, or lower quality. $329.00 is not bad. Sites are now saying that the iPad mini costs about $195-200 to build. So yes apple could have dropped the price to say $250 and made a lower profit. That $129.00 helps the company make profit, pay employees, marketing, and allows them to use much higher quality materials in their products, etc.

Slightly high on price, yes. But if the profit helps come up with newer products later on.... I am good with it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cpc12

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
299.... It's only 30 dollars more. If you can't swing 30 more dollars buy a kindle.

Stop the moaning you don't like the price dint buy it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice