iPad Mini Price

fmflex

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
8GB may be too small for all your Apps and iTunes stuff but Apple is making a big push for streaming / cloud services so that may be part of their plan.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
That's true. I can see it that way too. For people that want a tablet device that is more portable and primarily used for iBooks, web browsing, social media apps, and email...8GB might be all someone would need. And also hitting at that $200-$250 price would certainly deal a huge blow to the Kindle Fire's, Nook's, and Nexus 7's of the world.

For me, I love the potential for the smaller form factor but with the space to put my TV shows, games, apps, music, etc on there too. I'm just hoping for at least a 32GB model because the form factor is more attractive to me that the current 3rd gen iPad but I still want the space of the larger model ;)

Are you thinking about picking one up? I thought I remember you saying you had a Nexus 7 as well as the 3rd gen iPad. I sold my iPad 3 because this one is more my thing in terms of size and weight but still having pretty good performance with the A5.

Yes, I will have one and I still have my Nexus 7 and iPad. Gotta collect them all. :)

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Kindle Fire for $199. And okay, maybe you know more than I do. I could be way off but again, would you be willing to put your money where your mouth is? I would. I'm pretty confident in what I say.

Sure. I've got $100 that says any entry level iPad mini will come in at a price over $199

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Sure. I've got $100 that says any entry level iPad mini will come in at a price over $199

You obviously like to give money away then. ;) And I said $200-$250 range. Let me put this in perspective for you. Apple currently sells the iPad 2 at $400 in the 16 GB flavor. What makes you think they wouldn't sell a much smaller device with half the memory of that with a similar but smaller screen at $200-$250? A. Please don't mention any other Apple device like an iPod touch. Means nothing.

Last edited:

fmflex

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Seems like Amazon might have just opened it up for Apple to charge more for the iPad mini. Theoretically if the 7" 16gb Kindle Fire HD is $199 and 8.9" 16gb Kindle Fire HD is $299, then Apple can easily charge $249 or $299 for a base (8gb or 16 gb) iPad mini and $349 or $399 for the larger (16gb or 32gb) version, since the iPad mini is rumored to have almost an 8" screen (especially if it will be retina)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Seems like Amazon might have just opened it up for Apple to charge more for the iPad mini. Theoretically if the 7" 16gb Kindle Fire HD is $199 and 8.9" 16gb Kindle Fire HD is $299, then Apple can easily charge $249 or $299 for a base (8gb or 16 gb) iPad mini and $349 or $399 for the larger (16gb or 32gb) version, since the iPad mini is rumored to have almost an 8" screen (especially if it will be retina)

Doesn't look good with being a retina display.

ColetonAM

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
With the 5th gen iPod Touch starting at $299, there is no way the iPad Mini will start at anything less than $349, but more likely it will be $399

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
You obviously like to give money away then. ;) And I said $200-$250 range. Let me put this in perspective for you. Apple currently sells the iPad 2 at $400 in the 16 GB flavor. What makes you think they wouldn't sell a much smaller device with half the memory of that with a similar but smaller screen at $200-$250? A. Please don't mention any other Apple device like an iPod touch. Means nothing.

You sticking to your prediction with the iPod touch now starting at $299? I know you think it means nothing, but really...

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
You sticking to your prediction with the iPod touch now starting at $299? I know you think it means nothing, but really...

Yup. I was dead on with the dates for the announcement yesterday and release date of the 21st among other things along the way. No reason to doubt what I hear.

And if I hear anything between the announcement and now, I will be sure to share.

Gators625

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Yup. I was dead on with the dates for the announcement yesterday and release date of the 21st among other things along the way. No reason to doubt what I hear.

And if I hear anything between the announcement and now, I will be sure to share.

I know we've talked about this a lot already, but have you heard anything addtional about storage options? I'm thinking we'll only see a 8GB and a 16GB.

Does the iPad 2 still stay around? That could have an iPad at pretty much every price...$199 8GB iPad mini, $299 16GB iPad mini, $399 iPad 2, then the rest of the line starting at $499.

It will be interesting to see if the iPad mini offers a 32GB and/or if there will be any overlap in price between the Mini and traditional iPad. Just depends in the iPad 2 sticks around or not, I guess.

I seriously doubt there would be a 64GB version...so I might actually just get one of the new iPod touches, but we'll see what the event reveals.

Also, I think it's very telling that Apple now has the iPod touch at 16GB for the $199 price point. Sort of makes room for an 8GB iPad mini at a $199 or $249 price.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I know we've talked about this a lot already, but have you heard anything addtional about storage options? I'm thinking we'll only see a 8GB and a 16GB.

Does the iPad 2 still stay around? That could have an iPad at pretty much every price...$199 8GB iPad mini, $299 16GB iPad mini, $399 iPad 2, then the rest of the line starting at $499.

It will be interesting to see if the iPad mini offers a 32GB and/or if there will be any overlap in price between the Mini and traditional iPad. Just depends in the iPad 2 sticks around or not, I guess.

I seriously doubt there would be a 64GB version...so I might actually just get one of the new iPod touches, but we'll see what the event reveals.

Also, I think it's very telling that Apple now has the iPod touch at 16GB for the $199 price point. Sort of makes room for an 8GB iPad mini at a $199 or $249 price.

Honestly I do not. Things have been quiet lately.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
It should definitely not be pricy in order to compete with Kindle.

They are not trying to compete with Kindle on price, and never will.

Amazon sells Kindkes at cost, or thereabouts, and their business model s about making money selling content.

Apple does not use that business model, and makes money on their hardware.

CrackedBarry

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
As some people have pointed out, with the iPod Touch @ 299$ I really don't see Apple launching an iPad mini in the same price range. It's two different devices, yes, but theres definitely some overlap/cannibalization.

I think we will see the iPad Mini at 349$-399$ for a 16gb and 449$-499$ for a 32gb.

Why? First of all, an 8gb version, especially when you don't have Amazon to stream stuff, will give your customers a subpar experience. It's just not enough space for content.

Secondly, why go low margin and fight with Amazon and Asus for the 299$ crowd? Apple has ALWAYS been a high margin, top tier product. The 7 inch iPad mini is going to be introduced to offer Apples customers a choice in regards to device size, NOT to device price.

It won't be introduced to cannibalize the ipad2 market, by undercutting the price severely and fight with Amazon et. al. over the budget market. Why would Apple want to do that? They're not even close to being pressured by the competition as it is right now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2