iPad Mini Price

Lisacj

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Anyone have any idea how much the iPad Mini will cost?

I am VERY interested in getting one. I LOVE my iPhone (when it's working......lol) and have often wanted to be able to use some of my apps on a larger screen (I'm old and blind).

I would purchace an iPad (and may still in the future) but I need to have a Windows laptop for work projects. And unfortunatly my broke and I need to buy one of those also right now.

Thank you in advance for any input!
Have a nice day!

dmt316

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I feel that at 200 they will absolutely own the tablet market. At 250 people may sit on the fence over 50 bucks and choose an inferior tablet.

Reactions: Lisacj

SmartFah

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Whatever they decide to price it, it'll probably blow people's minds & sell like hot cakes.

I remember the rumors about the original iPad, people were expecting Apple to charge $800 - $1000 for it. Then they priced it at $500 & people went bonkers. I imagine the iPad mini will have a similar effect. If Apple manages to price this thing at $200, they will sell out like crazy.

Gators625

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm still thinking $299 is the entry level price at maybe 16GB of storage with a 32GB option at $399.

Then again, they could certainly throw in a 8GB at $199 but...I don't know...I would think Apple would have to make some serious cutbacks to get it down to that price like a non-IPS screen or something terrible like that.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
It's a tough call, the market IS dictating a lower price, HOWEVER apple seems to be able to come in at a premium price. I'm gonna say 250-299, UNLESS they have lower memory options. They might just do an 8GB model at 200, 16 at 250 (or 299), and 32 at 299 (or 350). I can definitely see them trying to be cost competitive with the Kindle & Nexus 7 tablets, and an 8GB model might be just the way to do that. :)

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
They will not attempt to price compete with the Kindle. Amazon sells those at virtually no margin in order to make money on books.

Apple has never let their competition set their prices before. It won't happen with a mini now.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Wow, it just got real in here.

Looks like Jeremy is back to his old self ;)

Biggest question for me is if it will have an IPS screen and at least a 32GB version. DROP SOME KNOWLEDGE ON US! haha

Ha! Just have reason to believe the whole point of this tablet is to eliminate the Kindle at a very similar price. And I'm not sure about different configurations but seems obvious to me.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Ha! Just have reason to believe the whole point of this tablet is to eliminate the Kindle at a very similar price. And I'm not sure about different configurations but seems obvious to me.

Nonsense.

The Kindle is not a tablet, it's an eBook reader that starts at $79, basically at cost, and Amazon makes all their money selling eBooks.

Apple has no need to play in their sandbox at all.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
If it was 199 wouldn't that compete with a iPod touch ? I don't see them hurting iPod touch sales .. Unless touch price drops my guess is 249 to 299
Although for my own benefit I'm hoping it's less lol

fmflex

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
If it was 199 wouldn't that compete with a iPod touch ? I don't see them hurting iPod touch sales .. Unless touch price drops my guess is 249 to 299
Although for my own benefit I'm hoping it's less lol

I was thinking $249 but then I was looking at the iPod touches and they are : 8gb $199, 32gb $299, 64gb $399.

Figure iPad mini will be available in at least 2 memory configs. Either 8 and 16 or 16 and 32. They'll probably go with 8 and 16. You have to price 8 at more then $199. But I feel as $249 is not enough over the iPod price and will canabalize iPod sales. But $299 seems like too high and takes them out of competition with the other tablets that they are trying to kill.

So I'm guessing. iPods drop in price by $50. 8gb iPad mini is 249 and 16gb is 349.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe we will see an 8g entry level tablet, but there is always a chance I guess. My kids would fill that in an hour and be frustrated...

Gators625

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Nonsense.

The Kindle is not a tablet, it's an eBook reader that starts at $79, basically at cost, and Amazon makes all their money selling eBooks.

Jeremy has connections in certain places that like Fruit so I wouldn't dismiss him outright. However, I believe he meant the Kindle Fire rather than the $79 e-reader Kindle.

Sort of depends on how Apple handles this really. In my opinion they could start the lowest model at $299 for 16GB and still be a player in the game, make a margin, and hold a premium in the lower end tablet market. But we'll see soon enough I suppose. If they do go with a $199 or $249 it will likely be an 8GB...which leads me to your next quote....

I don't believe we will see an 8g entry level tablet, but there is always a chance I guess. My kids would fill that in an hour and be frustrated...

And yes I really hope 8GB isn't the entry level. I think that's fine with Amazon and Google because of their limited app selection and (especially with Amazon) their reliance on streaming video.

8GB would be so pointless for iPad apps, video, etc. I would think a 16GB would be the best starting spot.

But iMore mentioned the 8GB potential back a few months ago...that could still be the target or maybe things have changed since then.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I don't think the ipod touch prices matter. It's a different item and apple won't care whether they sell one or the other.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Nonsense.

Kindle Fire for $199. And okay, maybe you know more than I do. I could be way off but again, would you be willing to put your money where your mouth is? I would. I'm pretty confident in what I say.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Jeremy has connections in certain places that like Fruit so I wouldn't dismiss him outright. However, I believe he meant the Kindle Fire rather than the $79 e-reader Kindle.

Sort of depends on how Apple handles this really. In my opinion they could start the lowest model at $299 for 16GB and still be a player in the game, make a margin, and hold a premium in the lower end tablet market. But we'll see soon enough I suppose. If they do go with a $199 or $249 it will likely be an 8GB...which leads me to your next quote....

And yes I really hope 8GB isn't the entry level. I think that's fine with Amazon and Google because of their limited app selection and (especially with Amazon) their reliance on streaming video.

8GB would be so pointless for iPad apps, video, etc. I would think a 16GB would be the best starting spot.

But iMore mentioned the 8GB potential back a few months ago...that could still be the target or maybe things have changed since then.

I think too many people are thinking this is just a smaller iPad and in a sense that is true but then again I'm not so sure Apple is looking at it that way. I truly expect a entry level 8GB device that matches the Fire and Nexus 7. Hence the lower price. If you want more storage and something to play a ton of games on, that's what the normal sized iPad is for. Just giving people more options.

Gators625

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I think too many people are thinking this is just a smaller iPad and in a sense that is true but then again I'm not so sure Apple is looking at it that way. I truly expect a entry level 8GB device that matches the Fire and Nexus 7. Hence the lower price. If you want more storage and something to play a ton of games on, that's what the normal sized iPad is for. Just giving people more options.

That's true. I can see it that way too. For people that want a tablet device that is more portable and primarily used for iBooks, web browsing, social media apps, and email...8GB might be all someone would need. And also hitting at that $200-$250 price would certainly deal a huge blow to the Kindle Fire's, Nook's, and Nexus 7's of the world.

For me, I love the potential for the smaller form factor but with the space to put my TV shows, games, apps, music, etc on there too. I'm just hoping for at least a 32GB model because the form factor is more attractive to me that the current 3rd gen iPad but I still want the space of the larger model ;)

Are you thinking about picking one up? I thought I remember you saying you had a Nexus 7 as well as the 3rd gen iPad. I sold my iPad 3 because this one is more my thing in terms of size and weight but still having pretty good performance with the A5.