Maybe the 6+ is looked at in the wrong way.

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I bought the iPhone 6 Plus and used it for two days before exchanging it for the iPhone 6 because I thought it was too big and not portable enough for my needs. Even if the iPhone 6 Plus was marketed differently I would have still exchanged it for the iPhone 6 or iPhone 5S.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Just love big phones. Just came to the 6 plus from the note 4. There is a market for a smaller or mid size phone. The problem with most manufacturer's is the mid or smaller phones all have smaller specs. Smaller screen resolution, lower pixels, slower processors. This hurts the usability and customer satisfaction on the smaller screen phones. Not a problem for me but I wouldn't be happy if I liked a 4 to 4.5 inch screen phone.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
You're confusing ideas. Yes, a smaller phone has less space to work with and cannot introduce "bigger" everything. But, that's not a direct relation to "usability" nor "customer satisfaction."

If we gauge customer satisfaction, the great number of "fanboys" Apple has shows a strong customer satisfaction rating while having some of the smaller devices. This makes it obvious to even the slowest of observers that you can't easily correlate phone size to customer satisfaction.

A semi has more space for a larger engine than a sedan. Which is determined to be more "usable" by the population: the larger engine or the smaller sedan? This isn't always the case. But, you cannot easily make the claim that a larger processor is going to be a faster processor nor can you make the claim that a slight increase in processing speed will make a device more usable. In fact, we can easily point to the fact that a phone eventually becomes large enough it's no longer usable. If we're aware of that, we HAVE to be aware that it's an asinine argument to claim that smaller phones are inherently less usable.

It's not a problem for anyone rational.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't see what the advantage of the iPhone 6 Plus is over the normal iPhone / iPad Mini. Yes there's a bigger screen, but there's not much usability again, and a lot lost. I was hoping Apple would do more with the interface to differentiate the device. Here's hoping they make the tablet category useful again, because the phablet remains very niche.

I can view a lot more of my emails on the larger screen. When I watch videos they are easier to see, you can say what you want but a lot of people today watch stuff on there phones. Games look better on the bigger screen. The battery is better with a bigger phone. The calendar which I for one use every day for work, I can see more events. I can go on and on.

SmartFah

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Marketing has nothing to do with it. Once you see or pick up the device, you'll either love it, hate it, or be willing to give it a try.

I bought mine on launch day without ever seeing it first. When I unboxed it, I was like whoa! Maybe I should have gotten the regular 6, this thing is huge! But I adapted to it pretty quick, and this is my new normal. I love the size, & don't plan on going back to a smaller device anytime soon.

One thing I do find weird is that every single time I see someone else with a 6+ or Galaxy Note, my initial reaction is always, that thing is huge! Even though it's the same size as my phone. For whatever reason my 6+ doesn't look huge to me. Weird.

garakhan

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Apple marketing is brain washing everyone. Good thing we have other smartphone manufacturers to awaken all of us.

Long time ago, Apple came along and said we can make phone better. And they did. Much easier to use for the masses. Familiar and intuitive user interfaces, less malware, convenient form factor (smaller and thinner) and no keyboard. iPhone wasn't the first but they improved everything and we loved it. And it continued to improve for a few years except for giving us glass and aluminum case.

Half a decade later, they continue to sell on UI (user interface) and the look. Every year Apple touts thinner, smaller and easy to use UI. And all Apple fans loved it and continue to love it. Smartphone has gotten better and people from other countries start using more smart features on smartphone and added more functions. Apple said those are not features but gimmicks. Apple has become VERY STAGNATE. They sell Samsung Galaxy S3 (2012 model) specification hardware on iPhone 6 with slightly better UI and charges same money as Samsung Galaxy S5. Apple market shrunk as a result except in North America and Europe. (You can't use 2014 Q3 & Q4 sales results alone to justify Apple market is growing, look at what is their market share in total global market size) Apple focus on thin metal case and legal lawsuits to change the market place. It didn't work except in US. Where Apple won on cosmetic and Samsung won on Apple stealing LTE technology, but Obama said it's OK and pardoned continue importation of iPhone 4 and 4S from China for US sales. Too bad America won't have moral justifications to fight against piracy overseas anymore.

Until last year, Apple said NFC is dead and iBeacon is the technology. And almost all US and many UK journalists went along with that. But this year iPhone has an ApplePay based on NFC (what did some journalists call NFC? Nobody F****** Cares? Haha!) But Apple had audacity to bring limited NFC capability to iPhone 6s so they can make more money, but not let us use all of NFC capabilities. BTW, NFC payment has been used quite well in many other countries for many years, and even in US for toll payment and such. Apple just used Apple fans as hostage to get their market placement. This is just one of the features that Apple said was a gimmick.

There are much more than this, we (most of in US and some in Europe) just are NOT scientifically logical any more. Don't even get me started on metal case. And replaceable battery, expandable memory, higher resolution, better displays, better cameras, nevermind...

I am from Silicon Valley, grew up here and worked at many SV companies... All my engineer friends uses Android phones, few years ago it was mostly Motorolas and before that Crackberries (sorry Blackberries) unless they work for Apple. Obviously we must be biased and don't know what we are talking about, just a bunch of geeks.

We sincerely hope Apple wake up and Apple fans see what Apple is becoming for what it is, so Apple can make something great and revolutionary again. Don't be obstructionist for corporate profit and user retention. iOS marketshare is important otherwise you become a dodo bird. Make something we can be proud of because others will just flock to it without justifying it by fanboys. Nobody had to tell anyone to go buy iPhone 3 or iPhone 4, people just did.

iPhone 6+ looks great, not enough to compete with the best of Androids or even Yotaphone 2. And Samsung probably won't sue Apple for copying their phablets, but they are learning how our system works. Some day soon Apple will have to admit metal case is a bad engineering. They try to do that with iPhone 5C but then who wants Galaxy S2 in Apple plastic? Again, iPhone 6 + is a definite step in right direction. May be there should be a 12 step process for Apple to admit something so they can get better. Hurry up, it isn't just Koreans and Japanese, Chinese are coming too.

jakdillard

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
So your plan is to invest millions into satisfying the minority with a name that wouldn't pacify them in the first place? Do you also think it's wise to spend millions researching a way to make a door into a window instead of just choosing to sell a window to people who want windows and a door to those that want doors?

Yeah yeah door window cliche, no what I was originally try to say was I don't believe that the 6+ should have been released with the 6 I think that it should have been released in its own presentation as what it is. Its a phablet all day everyday by the internet tech blogs definition of a phablet, and since Apple decided to jump in this category of devices I just have an opinion that they should have innovated this category instead of making the "oh **** people really want bigger lets get something out" 6+. I mean seriously I get that Apple listened and gave its consumers a larger display with the 6 but lets face it when it comes to the 6+ there is not really anything that much "+" about it. I own a 6+ and I love it, but why is it that the main difference between 6 and 6 is a larger 1080p display and OIS for still photos oh and a UI that rotates upside-down (the latter being something I doubt we'd ever use). I almost feel like this is a sort of trial device kind of like the 5c and if its successful then it will be continued if not then "at least we tried", but this is just my opinion if there are facts to back up why Apple does what it does I'll gladly read them.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah yeah door window cliche, no what I was originally try to say was I don't believe that the 6+ should have been released with the 6 I think that it should have been released in its own presentation as what it is. Its a phablet all day everyday by the internet tech blogs definition of a phablet, and since Apple decided to jump in this category of devices I just have an opinion that they should have innovated this category instead of making the "oh **** people really want bigger lets get something out" 6+. I mean seriously I get that Apple listened and gave its consumers a larger display with the 6 but lets face it when it comes to the 6+ there is not really anything that much "+" about it. I own a 6+ and I love it, but why is it that the main difference between 6 and 6 is a larger 1080p display and OIS for still photos oh and a UI that rotates upside-down (the latter being something I doubt we'd ever use). I almost feel like this is a sort of trial device kind of like the 5c and if its successful then it will be continued if not then "at least we tried", but this is just my opinion if there are facts to back up why Apple does what it does I'll gladly read them.

Facts to back up why Apple does it? Are you joking? Apple does it to make a buck. They are a business, and the only focus is to make money selling boat loads of iPhones.

There's nothing "trial" about this phone, it's a new product, with a larger screen, new features and a polished set of existing features as well as the UI/OS.

You act as if these manufacturers should be pumping out totally different products every season with totally unseen features/tech crammed into each one. You have an unrealistic view of how development works...and you "blame" Apple for releasing "trial" products...which is funny in itself because they constantly give the consumer what they want, enough to sell ridiculous amounts of devices, and yet some how they're doing something "wrong"?

I wish the new bimmer I just bought my wife got 200mpg's, had track worthy performance, and could drive itself when we weren't in the mood to do so. I don't sit here and blame BMW for not making this happen because it's not a realistic expectation...nor do I sit here and pretend this car we bought is some kind of trial. The differences between this one and last years model are almost non-existent, yet it is an amazingly fantastic car, and it is improved in ways.

Apple at least produces a new model every year with significant and noticeable changes...regardless of what nay sayers say.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Remember when 4.3" screens were called "huge" and nobody would ever use something that big? My how times have changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jakdillard

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Facts to back up why Apple does it? Are you joking? Apple does it to make a buck. They are a business, and the only focus is to make money selling boat loads of iPhones.

There's nothing "trial" about this phone, it's a new product, with a larger screen, new features and a polished set of existing features as well as the UI/OS.

You act as if these manufacturers should be pumping out totally different products every season with totally unseen features/tech crammed into each one. You have an unrealistic view of how development works...and you "blame" Apple for releasing "trial" products...which is funny in itself because they constantly give the consumer what they want, enough to sell ridiculous amounts of devices, and yet some how they're doing something "wrong"?

I wish the new bimmer I just bought my wife got 200mpg's, had track worthy performance, and could drive itself when we weren't in the mood to do so. I don't sit here and blame BMW for not making this happen because it's not a realistic expectation...nor do I sit here and pretend this car we bought is some kind of trial. The differences between this one and last years model are almost non-existent, yet it is an amazingly fantastic car, and it is improved in ways.

Apple at least produces a new model every year with significant and noticeable changes...regardless of what nay sayers say.

Not joking so serious, where are your facts ? I can say "they do it to make money" but my original perspective is still the same I think that if marketed a little different and released a little later the 6+ would definitely be more than just a bigger 6 with OIS and a rotating home screen. As far as it being a trial again I love my device and hope that it will see future generations but I'm not going to pretend that the iPhone "c" models got refreshed along with the 6, and I don't "blame" Apple for doing this I'm just saying where are the facts that they don't? Also wouldn't my understanding about "saturated test products" show that I have some form of a realistic view of development?

"Apple at least produces a new model every year with significant and noticeable changes...regardless of what nay sayers say." Ok .....?

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Not joking so serious, where are your facts ? I can say "they do it to make money" but my original perspective is still the same I think that if marketed a little different and released a little later the 6+ would definitely be more than just a bigger 6 with OIS and a rotating home screen.

Isn't it a TAD childish to demand facts while you're doing nothing more than rant? You're not offering facts. Don't think you're in a position to demand them. You offer a poorly thought out perspective. You should expect nothing other than perspective in return.

There's some facts for you.

I'm not sure you know what a cliche is. You certainly didn't use the word correctly up above.

Your position is Apple should have invested heavily into marketing, research, and development to sell more of these devices. You're making an assumption that they would have a worthwhile ROI on this investment. The device sold faster than Apple could produce the device. Marketing couldn't fix this. That's not just a fact. It's such simple common sense that you shouldn't be attempting to argue the problem is in marketing. That's the act of a fool. If you want to point at an error Apple made in that regard, they should have invested more heavily into manufacturing. That's where they had the opportunity to make more money. Even if we play in your make believe world where there were more devices available than sold, we'd need to show that the increase in R&D and marketing would be worth the investment. You've done nothing to show this other than throw a tantrum about the way it was marketed.

If you want people to treat you like an adult and give you grown up arguments, stop acting like a child.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Not joking so serious, where are your facts ? I can say "they do it to make money" but my original perspective is still the same I think that if marketed a little different and released a little later the 6+ would definitely be more than just a bigger 6 with OIS and a rotating home screen. As far as it being a trial again I love my device and hope that it will see future generations but I'm not going to pretend that the iPhone "c" models got refreshed along with the 6, and I don't "blame" Apple for doing this I'm just saying where are the facts that they don't? Also wouldn't my understanding about "saturated test products" show that I have some form of a realistic view of development?

"Apple at least produces a new model every year with significant and noticeable changes...regardless of what nay sayers say." Ok .....?

Maybe you're looking at the 6 Plus the wrong way.
That's all it needs to be. A bigger iPhone.
As far as marketing. All you have to do is say
"New iPhone" and folks line up. It's pretty automatic. Been that way for almost 8 years.
This year Apple said "New bigger iPhone but 2 of them. Same thing folks lined up. Again they are making billions. Customers are satisfied.
So what's the problem?

jakdillard

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Isn't it a TAD childish to demand facts while you're doing nothing more than rant? You're not offering facts. Don't think you're in a position to demand them. You offer a poorly thought out perspective. You should expect nothing other than perspective in return.

There's some facts for you.

I'm not sure you know what a cliche is. You certainly didn't use the word correctly up above.

Your position is Apple should have invested heavily into marketing, research, and development to sell more of these devices. You're making an assumption that they would have a worthwhile ROI on this investment. The device sold faster than Apple could produce the device. Marketing couldn't fix this. That's not just a fact. It's such simple common sense that you shouldn't be attempting to argue the problem is in marketing. That's the act of a fool. If you want to point at an error Apple made in that regard, they should have invested more heavily into manufacturing. That's where they had the opportunity to make more money. Even if we play in your make believe world where there were more devices available than sold, we'd need to show that the increase in R&D and marketing would be worth the investment. You've done nothing to show this other than throw a tantrum about the way it was marketed.

If you want people to treat you like an adult and give you grown up arguments, stop acting like a child.

Something funny, I haven't attacked nobody in this thread and I won't, I'm not demanding anything, throwing a tantrum, or ranting, and my position is a consumer who is satisfied with the purchase that I made. "Even if we play in your make believe world", "If you want people to treat you like an adult and give you grown up arguments, stop acting like a child." Where is that coming from? Also "It's such simple common sense that you shouldn't be attempting to argue the problem is in marketing" who's arguing its an opinion I never said there was a problem, I asked or stated an opinion "IF" it was marketed differently so many people would have bought a 6+ just to return it saying that its to big for whatever ______ to buy the 6 instead. I really just wonder if the 6 and 6+ were marketed differently would the average consumer know exactly what device they want. "I'm not sure you know what a cliche is. You certainly didn't use the word correctly up above." I read this then "googled" the definition I believe I used it right.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh