Why Not A Low Cost iPhone?

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
YOU think it's a good idea, therefore it must be a good idea right? Why are they even paying these guys making six figures at Apple who make these decisions when we have A895 making them for free online, and obviously has a deeper understanding of it! They could be saving millions!

This needs to be brought up at the next share holder meeting!

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I said that already too. You missed that I suppose.

Then why do you keep asking the same question to which there is an obvious answer?

As Sean said, it's mostly to not diminish the brand. They want to put the phones in the hands of people like me who will not only buy the phone but their other products as well. I don't see Apple as a company that is pursuing putting a product of theirs in every single person in the world's hands.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
No it does not. It diminishes it in your mind.

Because people like us, the target consumer wouldn't like to see Apple start making cheaply made products?
Look at how well making cheaply made low-end phones is working out for Samsung, big picture. Not just the segment of the low-end market.

I don't want to sit in the bleachers with the drunks who jump from job to job.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Okay, you missed the entire point of this thread. My point is Apple can expand into third world countries, with a low cost iPhone.

Dude, people can get an iPhone 4s or 5c, both used and new, for below 400 dollars in countries like India.

Now, what you are suggesting is that it is priced at Moto G or Android One prices...which I think isn't the strategy Apple is wanting to pursue, despite how badly people in Africa or China wants it.

Apple has that audience in which it already makes a ton of profits that they would potentially jeopardize if they target a wholly different market...

The thing is Apple is a company, making many products for people, it ain't as simple as saying I want this or that. It's about keeping the company afloat...Does that make sense?

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
It would diminish the brand. Let's use numbers to represent the iOS brand. Let's say the iPad is 80, and the iPhone is 70. The average of that is 75. Now add a low end iPhone, and we'll say it's 40. That brings the average down to 63.3. And imo that's how it would diminish the brand. My example may be dumb, but I think it gets my point across.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That is what bothers me. You and some others find it difficult to accept that Apple doesn't "need" or have to take advantage of the "opportunity" you mentioned. Over the summer, if not earlier, it was reported that Apple had a cash stockpile of a billion dollars....Cash!....The company just broke sales records with the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus. They have taken a huge chunk out of a segment that was once dominated by RIM/blackberry and many Android users who preferred the larger screen, came flooding to the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. It does not make sense for Apple to do what you're asking. Anyway, I've got to get up at 5:30 A.M. I enjoyed the conversation. Take care, and have a great night.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Because people like us, the target consumer wouldn't like to see Apple start making cheaply made products?
Look at how well making cheaply made low-end phones is working out for Samsung, big picture. Not just the segment of the low-end market.

I don't want to sit in the bleachers with the drunks who jump from job to job.
Why would someone who is happy with another product care what a company does in another similar product category they are not a part of? That is just silly. If you are happy with the high end one, how does a low cost one affect your device?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Why would someone who is happy with another product care what a company does in another similar product category they are not a part of? That is just silly. If you are happy with the high end one, how does a low cost one affect your device?

If you moved into a condo building and were paying $2,000 a month for your 14th floor 2 bedroom, your logic would say that if the building turned the bottom 4 floors into low income housing charging 1/4 of the cost for similar amenities and the same location, a person should have no problem with that.

I could barely type that without laughing at how absurdly stupid that line of thinking would be in the real world.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Dude, people can get an iPhone 4s or 5c, both used and new, for below 400 dollars in countries like India.

Now, what you are suggesting is that it is priced at Moto G or Android One prices...which I think isn't the strategy Apple is wanting to pursue, despite how people in Africa or China wants.

Apple has that audience in which it already makes more profits that they would potentially jeopardize that if they target a wholly different market...

The thing is Apple is a company, making many products for people, it ain't as simple as saying I want this or that. It's about keeping the company afloat...Does that make sense?

The company is already afloat, this us about expanding into a ripe market that is fresh for the taking. No one has conquered low cost, Apple could.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
The company is already afloat, this us about expanding into a ripe market that is fresh for the taking. No one has conquered low cost, Apple could.

While I agree it would diminish the brand, I also see your point. And I have thought the same thing before. BUT I am 100% that the marketing team at Apple is, or has looked into this. I'm also pretty sure there is a team at Apple who's only responsibility is to research new markets.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

And after 7 years, they still haven't done it...but because you think it's some grand idea, some how Apple's business executives are "missing something" that you have some deep knowledge of that they don't.

Rarely do posts make me cringe, but you've succeeded in that several times tonight.

MaciLicous

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
No, I always had this account. Accidentally posted under it. You have to right to use a gif of movie so great. Copyright infringement.

Sent from my Glamorous Gold iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
If you moved into a condo building and were paying $2,000 a month for your 14th floor 2 bedroom, your logic would say that if the building turned the bottom 4 floors into low income housing charging 1/4 of the cost for similar amenities and the same location, a person should have no problem with that.

So you are saying you would have bought a low cost iPhone if it was offered to you first?

I could barely type that without laughing at how absurdly stupid that line of thinking would be in the real world.

True, but a landlord would never put two very different price areas in one building. And the low cost spot would be have a lower quality feel to it, and the extras would be less and be less cared for. But the fact there is an option for low cost housing will draw tenants.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR