What if Apple Started Fading Away?

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm watching Steve Jobs: One Last Thing and something just hit me.... What if Apple started fading away, like it did before Steve saved it (after they fired him)? Well, it wasn't fading but it was going bankrupt. What do you think you'd do if Apple stores started closing and Apple products started fading from the shelves? The computer, iPhone, iPod, iPad, iTunes.... All of this stuff MASTERED by one man, gone....

Just interested in some of your thoughts and feelings.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I used computers and laptops before my first Mac. There are nice machines out there and Windows can be configured to work. So if Apple was gone I could get a new desktop and laptop setup. For me the problem would be the services first and the smartphone and tablet next. I use all the services and they work so great that without it all my stuff would be stuck and I would have to figure out what to use. The smartphone and tablet would be my biggest problem. I could never, would never use a WP device the way WP is right now. I'd probably try an Android device and be forced to use it. I doubt I would bother getting a tablet. The first day I used the iPhone I knew it was the phone for me. I'm invested in the ecosystem. I have used Android devices before and the experience was not for me. The first half an hour I was left wanting to use something else. It is just not what I want to use.

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
It would be painful not having my iPhone. But the pain would end there as I don't use any other Apple products or services.

I would carry on with Windows and I guess use Android.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I know this wasn't really your question, but Apple being extremely self-sustaining simply based on their name now makes it hard to believe that it could ever truly happen, even if Tim Cook decided to make the products completely irrelevant on the market.

That said, if Apple was gone...I don't know what products would satisfy my needs and wants in the arena. I look outside of the sandbox all the time, but I never see anything attractive. I think it would become a world of settling for the "least sh*tty", like I did before buying a Macbook or before having an iPhone.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
For computing... I'd go back to Microsoft/Windows.

For mobile, I'm not sure. I would go back to a Blackberry, but I don't know if they'll be around either. If I was back on Windows for computing, I guess I'd try out their mobile devices... I'd also be willing to try out the Surface tablet in place of the iPad. I would only fall back to Android as an absolute last resort. I've not been impressed by any Android powered device I've owned thus far.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Like jmr1015, I'd probably look back to Windows, but also give Ubuntu strong consideration.

For Mobile, Android and BB would be the list.

Ron Hites

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Everything I have is Apple (iMac, MacBook Pro, iPod, iPhone, iPad) When I was in the military (I retired in 2012) I had to use windows and hated using it. So I would hate to have to use Windows at home. Windows to me is a very inferior copy of everything that Apple has...

Larry Pager

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
It's not a question of if, but when. If you take a look at technology companies, they come and go.
Look at the histories of Nintendo, Sony, Nokia, Atari, IBM PCs, Dell, Gateway, Motorola.
It will be sad for them to go, but somebody else will take their place. I remember some interview clip were Jobs compared Apple's contribution to how sediment gets deposited- Apple's contributions will be part of the greater good, that other companies will build on what they've done, but they will be forgotten.

They're already kind of slipping- not Blackberry bad, but things are slowing. Besides, Apple has had a great run. You can't go up forever.

But I'm enjoying my Macbook Pro and my 5S while the going is good. And I'm going to enjoy my 6S (it better have a bigger screen!)

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
It's not a question of if, but when. If you take a look at technology companies, they come and go.
Look at the histories of Nintendo, Sony, Nokia, Atari, IBM PCs, Dell, Gateway, Motorola.
It will be sad for them to go, but somebody else will take their place. I remember some interview clip were Jobs compared Apple's contribution to how sediment gets deposited- Apple's contributions will be part of the greater good, that other companies will build on what they've done, but they will be forgotten.

They're already kind of slipping- not Blackberry bad, but things are slowing. Besides, Apple has had a great run. You can't go up forever.

But I'm enjoying my Macbook Pro and my 5S while the going is good. And I'm going to enjoy my 6S (it better have a bigger screen!)

What basis do you say that Apple is slipping? And if you say that Android has a huge market, you've lost the argument. So on what basis is Apple slipping?

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Everything I have is Apple (iMac, MacBook Pro, iPod, iPhone, iPad) When I was in the military (I retired in 2012) I had to use windows and hated using it. So I would hate to have to use Windows at home. Windows to me is a very inferior copy of everything that Apple has...

I know this wasn't really your question, but Apple being extremely self-sustaining simply based on their name now makes it hard to believe that it could ever truly happen, even if Tim Cook decided to make the products completely irrelevant on the market.

That said, if Apple was gone...I don't know what products would satisfy my needs and wants in the arena. I look outside of the sandbox all the time, but I never see anything attractive. I think it would become a world of settling for the "least sh*tty", like I did before buying a Macbook or before having an iPhone.

I would absolutely hate going back to Microsoft for a computer, I've had a Mac since I was a kid! I've never liked how windows run. Like most of you, everything I own is Apple so I would be lost. Android is okay, but only HTC has mastered the iPhone solid hardware and flawless software.

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site

It's also possible that Apple (and Microsoft) might still exist in the future, but their products might be something completely unrelated to what they make nowadays.

Motorola's original product was a car radio. Motorola History

Nokia made paper and galoshes. Nokia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nintendo made card games in Japan. History of Nintendo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73