Visiting Florida from the UK

fireblade893

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I am visiting Florida in a few months for two weeks and want to be able to use data while over there
My providers roaming rates are quite high ( Vodafone uk ?15 for 25mb thereafter ?3 per mb per day)
I am wondering about getting a pre paid SIM card for USA with data from straight talk
What I'm not sure about is whether I will get 3G on my iPhone 5 (UK unlocked version), I have emailed them to ask the question a few days ago but have yet to receive a reply. I also want to teather my iPad and the kids iPads
Has anyone done this and what are the best options?

I have also been looking at the t-mobile mifi 4g at Walmart as another option, has anyone tried these and if so what's the coverage like in real world around Disney world area?

Thanks

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm with Vodafone UK too and I travel to the USA a heck of a lot. Originally I got an AT&T sim card as that will work with the UK GSM iPhone 5. However, that was far too fiddly as I needed to have both sims active more often than not, so I went into a store and just bought myself a cheap smartphone.

T-Mobile do a 'Pay by the Day' sim card that they say is excellent for travellers but I have yet to use it. I do know that it is about $2 or $3 a day and you do get data with it. I was going to look into it when I go out in again in May/June.

EDIT: I just have - Check this out and see if it fits your needs - T-Mobile USA prepaid mobile phone sim card | SIM Card Guru

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I actually know a cellular tech that works in Orlando for AT&T, and he told me years ago that the cellular networks in the Orlando area are actually beefed up on all the main carriers in the U.S. because of the amount of tourists and travelers that come there on vacation...the carriers see it as a very important market because of the amount of varying users are there at any given time.

That said, Tmobile should be solid...me and my wife were just at Universal Studios and I know we had full bars with AT&T the entire time we were there.

fireblade893

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Highrisedrifter

That plan for T-mobile sounds just like what I need $3 per day for unlimited USA calls and unlimited data(first 200MB at 3G the rest at 2G) but thats all I need ?26 for the sim is a bit high but it is set up already running before I go which saves me hassle and means it will work upon landing and they do the nano sim size as well only thing I can't see from the web is whether it allows tethering to the iPad?

SeanHRCC I still have an old AT&T sim card from when I was there in 2009 but I found the coverage was very poor in the villa we stayed in then (Highlands Reserve 33897 ) I actually had to walk outside the villa to the end of the garden to get a signal. And at the time I was unable to get 3G with any of the phones I had at the time (HTC Touch HD and a Nokia N95, maybe wrong frequencies in the phones for 3G?) the wife did have an iPhone 3GS but at the time it was locked to Orange UK, I still have the sim card I'm not sure if an old sim can be re-activated?