ipod touch vs iphone question

revtech

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Thank you in advance, I'm sorry for the question as I could probably do my own research, but I'm guessing this is a question that some of you ios expects could help with far more quickly than I could on my own.

My daughter wants an ipod touch for her 18 birthday, I just noticed that I can get an iphone 4 on ebay for the same as an ipod touch (prev gen). We do not have a data plan, but would an iphone do the same on wifi without a data plan as an ipod touch would do? or is there a difference? Any advantage or disadvantage either way?

The only reason I'm considering this is that if we ever did get a data plan then she would already have a phone ready to activate.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes, the functionality would mirror that of an iPod Touch within a WiFi network. You're certainly getting the better of the two with the iPhone for precisely the reason you mentioned, when you get ready to add it to your cellular plan, you'll already have the phone and it'll be as easy as just calling your carrier and adding it in.

Now depending on which iPod Touch you're talking about, there are several benefits to those (the newer iPod Touch vs. the iPhone 4 for example, the iPod Touch has a better processor and the larger screen...i believe the camera between the two is the same front and back.

revtech

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks sean,

I was glad to hear from someone i 'knew' . . Its the prev gen ipod cuz they're 189 ish . . The new gen is 299 much too much for me for an ipod touch. I thought I was set till I saw iphone 4 on ebay for 180 or so that were listed as very good cond.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks sean,

I was glad to hear from someone i 'knew' . . Its the prev gen ipod cuz they're 189 ish . . The new gen is 299 much too much for me for an ipod touch. I thought I was set till I saw iphone 4 on ebay for 180 or so that were listed as very good cond.

No prob!

Be careful with eBay iPhones...$180 seems a tad cheap for an iPhone 4, though not completely out of the realm of possibility. But definitely, between the previous gen iPod Touch and iPhone 4, you're making the better decision with the iPhone, even if it was slightly more than the previous gen iPod Touch.

ups925

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
With an ipod touch, you can get a larger hard drive with a slimmer body than an iphone. The iphone should have more ram than the ipod depending on what you get. I have an ipod touch 4g and its become kind of outdated when it comes to some games. Scramble with friends on that thing with ios 5 lags like crazy to the point that I dont even both playing it on it anymore since I have an iphone. If you plan on getting data in the future and she already has a phone, the iphone may be a good investment since they are about the same price. Only con in new vs used since the batteries not being user replaceable thats a concern.

I used to have a blackberry and I brought my ipod touch with me everywhere. Its great having a dedicated media player and be able to surf the web, facebook, take pics etc without having to drain my phones battery. I get more than a days use out of my iphone 5 with heavy usage, but after a few years I doubt Id be able to keep that up. My ipod touch gets a few days when I hardly use it. I used to be able to get a solid week under normal usage. Sorry for making this complicated. To make it simple-- ipod touch with larger hdd = dedicated media player you can use for years. If she doesnt need a lot of space than an iphone may be a good choice since itll help as a phone upgrade in the future.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2