Verdict is in: Apple v. Samsung in CA Fed Ct.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
So excited for this. It won't mean the end of Android, but it's a huge victory for Steve's legacy. Android got dealt a huge blow and it will only continue from here. You can't steal and get away with it!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think this case was BS and so is the patent system. Do I think Apple deserves licensing fees for a few of their patents? Sure, just as they need to pay fees for patents that they are using. But all of these companies have copied each other or some other company. So no one company is a victim, not even Apple folks.

By the way I can't wait for iPhone 5 because I skipped the 4S.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You have a very generic understanding of what this lawsuit was actually about if that is your stance on what happened.

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
The basis of this case was not android, it was hardware infringement by Samsung. I don't see Samsung being sued for Android being created by Google. Apple v Google is going to be bloody and at the end of it, we the consumers lose regardless. Having a patent on a rectangle with round corners is BS and shouldn't even exist.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The basis of this case was not android, it was hardware infringement by Samsung. I don't see Samsung being sued for Android being created by Google. Apple v Google is going to be bloody and at the end of it, we the consumers lose regardless. Having a patent on a rectangle with round corners is BS and shouldn't even exist.

The bounce-back and pinch to zoom are not hardware items. They are Samsung implementations on the android OS. And sorry, but specific shapes, etc. are protectable - think the shape of a glass Coke bottle. That's protected.

Samsung's own internal emails confirmed they literally copied Apple. Game over.

PS: Read this: FOSS Patents: Apple's billion-dollar win over Samsung is a huge breakthrough -- but it's not thermonuclear

Samsung has issued a statement that claims this jury verdict is a loss for consumers. But things are more complex than that. There can be no reasonable doubt that Samsung and Google have engaged, and continue to engage, in "copytition" (competing through copying) rather than wholly-independent creation. Somewhere the courts have to draw the line and afford some degree of protection to innovators. I don't always agree with Apple's claims, and I don't like all of Apple's patents, but the kind of disregard for other companies' intellectual property that Samsung and Google effectively propose is certainly not the answer.

Last edited:

SockRolid

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
It might have been worth the $1 billion to $3 billion for Samsung. They're the #1 Android handset maker now. Possibly due to their older, Apple-patent-infringing designs. Possibly not. But I'm guessing that yes, imitating some of Apple's trade dress and software functionality put them over the top of all other Android handset makers.

Worth all that money? I think so. They've crushed all other Android handset makers, and they and Apple will keep the RIMs and Nokias down in the basement. There may not be room for more than two major mobile platforms.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73