What is the deal

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Here is my EXACT point would you go into a bmw forum and spout of a review of a honda?? even though it is clearly the same type of machine and can get you to your job the same way, the honda is not a full featured device with all the bells and whistles, much like this blackberry music device it is a poor cheap version of what is already out on the market and available from the manufacturer this forum is focused on!

Bimmerforums.com regularly reviews new to market cars (and recently reviewed the 2012 Honda Civic Si if you'd like to go read it)...they liked a lot of things about it, said it was a great car and a good performance value for under $25k (baseline). Neither the Civic Si or the 335i are full featured devices suffice to say.

The blackberry music gateway is a $50 audio adaptor...the Apple TV is a $100 media center device. How can it be a "poor cheap version" when its functionality isn't even classified as the same type of product? (leaving aside the fact that it's still TWICE as much money)

You really have no argument here...if that gateway doesn't do it for you, well congratulations consumer, go buy what works for you! That gateway might be PERFECT for someone who has $50 and wants something to adapt their iPhone to a car radio or speakers or what have you.

Turbo_lemon

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Man am I the ONLY one that comes to imore to read about the latest APPLE tech and news?? I expect there to be an emphasis on apple products over competing products unless there is some feature the competition is better at and with this review its obvious the apple tv is a better product and I get **** on for pointing it out.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Man am I the ONLY one that comes to imore to read about the latest APPLE tech and news??

I'm here for that, and the MORE that iMore has to offer. The review you're intent on whizzing all over is a part of the 'MORE"... Get it?

And by the way, genius - tell me just how much better an apple TV would be in allowing me to stream audio IN MY CAR???

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Man am I the ONLY one that comes to imore to read about the latest APPLE tech and news?? I expect there to be an emphasis on apple products over competing products unless there is some feature the competition is better at and with this review its obvious the apple tv is a better product and I get **** on for pointing it out.

Many people visit the iMore website in regard to Apple products as well as tech news and for many of us, it is just ONE site among several. However, the iMore forums where you started this thread is about much more than Apple products. It's about meeting, socializing and assisting other enthusiasts who may have problems with their Apple products whether stock or jailbroken. We also discuss, sports, politics and social news, to name a few. It can be argued that iMore may be geared toward Apple but are open to discuss things that are non-Apple or not just for Apple. Keep in mind that everyone who visits iMore or its forums are current Apple users.

Turbo_lemon

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Take the apple tv and pretend it only streams music, now compare it feature to feature to the blackberry how does the blackberry win? How are you guys gonna run this in your car easily? it has to be powered so now you have an inverter to plug in, the device plugged into the inverter then a cord from this to your dash seems like a mess why not just run one cord to your dash from the phone or better yet buy a new car or radio that has wireless streaming?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Take the apple tv and pretend it only streams music, now compare it feature to feature to the blackberry how does the blackberry win? How are you guys gonna run this in your car easily? it has to be powered so now you have an inverter to plug in, the device plugged into the inverter then a cord from this to your dash seems like a mess why not just run one cord to your dash from the phone or better yet buy a new car or radio that has wireless streaming?

Pretend that the Apple TV only streams music? Then it's even more over priced for $100 than it is right now.

This product is perfectly relevant to this apple related website because of its functionality with the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad.

And let's start getting technical here...most of your MP3's are not going to take advantage of an optical connection, because most MP3's are compressed garbage. Only recently has Apple begun offering loss less music through iTunes (and it's not even true loss less), and most of our libraries of MP3's consist of audio files that are many times even lesser than the basic offerings from iTunes/Amazon/Etc...the fact of the matter is, digital music for the most part is not going to have a need for a high end audio system...and most consumers would be perfectly content with the analog setup this BB Gateway provides.

You keep approaching this as if the review some how placed this product above ALL products when it comes to audio connections...to be perfectly honest with you, most consumers would be content with THIS (and it's like $3)...

1806_large.jpg

...that said, you're an idiot if you buy an Apple TV to stream music in your house.

Turbo_lemon

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Pretend that the Apple TV only streams music? Then it's even more over priced for $100 than it is right now.

This product is perfectly relevant to this apple related website because of its functionality with the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad.

And let's start getting technical here...most of your MP3's are not going to take advantage of an optical connection, because most MP3's are compressed garbage. Only recently has Apple begun offering loss less music through iTunes (and it's not even true loss less), and most of our libraries of MP3's consist of audio files that are many times even lesser than the basic offerings from iTunes/Amazon/Etc...the fact of the matter is, digital music for the most part is not going to have a need for a high end audio system...and most consumers would be perfectly content with the analog setup this BB Gateway provides.

You keep approaching this as if the review some how placed this product above ALL products when it comes to audio connections...to be perfectly honest with you, most consumers would be content with THIS (and it's like $3)...

Click to view quoted image

...that said, you're an idiot if you buy an Apple TV to stream music in your house.

Where did I say I bought an apple tv for just streaming music? I said if you take the apple tv and only compare the audio streaming capabilities to the blackberry how does the blackberry win? Answer is it simply doesnt and you are right most people wont need or buy this as a cable is cheaper and gives you the same crappy analog sound. You dont know me and have never been to my home to see my audio set up so your idea that I have no clue what I am talking about is complete arrogance and wrong.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Where did I say I bought an apple tv for just streaming music? I said if you take the apple tv and only compare the audio streaming capabilities to the blackberry how does the blackberry win? Answer is it simply doesnt and you are right most people wont need or buy this as a cable is cheaper and gives you the same crappy analog sound. You dont know me and have never been to my home to see my audio set up so your idea that I have no clue what I am talking about is complete arrogance and wrong.

I never said YOU bought an Apple TV sweetheart...go back and read my post, i said "you're an idiot if you buy an Apple TV to stream music in your house.", that is a general, blanket statement...in no way was it directed at you or any one person, it was a comment that envelopes ALL people who would do that.

My basis for saying you haven't a clue what you're talking about stems from your initial idea (based on your own comments) that the Apple TV was a high end audio-phile option to what this BB Gateway does (which it is not)...then your comment implying that record players are some how substandard audio sources (i actually laughed at that one)...the icing on the cake was the fact that you are so passionate that your compressed, low quality MP3's desperately need high end audio equipment to be enjoyed. Roll that all up in a neat little ball and yes, i can paint a pretty accurate picture that you're clueless in your own argument. There's no arrogance about it, you spelled it all out for us...and it certainly isn't wrong at all.

Just walk away from the convo bud. You're passionately arguing a very moot point, and you're discussion became illegitimate when you tried to compare this product to the Apple TV saying the prices were negligible between the two.

Turbo_lemon

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
You guys are just way too advanced actually retarded, it is a relevant term to use here as you seem to be stuck in 1960's. Keep on running your antique record players and 2 channel sound gramps maybe you oughta trade in your iphone for a rotary dial too! For my money and for anyone that actually wants multi channel digital sound - ya know the kind everyone 99% of people use these days, the blackberry music gateway is garbage. I stick to my argument that for the extra $59 you get way better quality audio, a whole slew of additional features and functionality and that there is no good reason to buy the blackberry over it.

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You guys are just way too advanced actually retarded, it is a relevant term to use here as you seem to be stuck in 1960's. Keep on running your antique record players and 2 channel sound gramps maybe you oughta trade in your iphone for a rotary dial too! For my money and for anyone that actually wants multi channel digital sound - ya know the kind everyone 99% of people use these days, the blackberry music gateway is garbage. I stick to my argument that for the extra $59 you get way better quality audio, a whole slew of additional features and functionality and that there is no good reason to buy the blackberry over it.

now you've resorted to trolling. way to go. PEBCAK.

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

Who died and made you queen? This is iMore, changed from TiPB because this blog is more than just iPhone. Its apart of mobile nations, which included CrackBerry, Windows Phone Central, Android Central, and WEB OS Nation. So what if iMore posted a review about a Blackberry product, big f***ken deal! You don't like it? Dont read it. You want emphasis? When the iPhone 4S came out there must have been a giant blog post at least every day about the look, design, user ability, features, and this went on for like a month! When iOS 6 dropped the same thing happened. I don't see any posts about new BlackBerry's or Android phones here, but there are many accessories that are compatible with those devices and they are talked about and reviewed here.

Comparing the 2 devices, I don't see ANY use for the Apple TV compared to the BlackBerry Music Gateway.

1) Its cheaper. If 50 bucks mean nothing to you I will give you my PayPal account and transfer the money there. I promise to put it to good use.

2) All (if not most) TV's come with built in apps for YouTube, Netflix, etc that allow you to stream content to your TV for no extra charge and no additional hardware required. Yea, you wont have iTunes but I'm not willing to spend $100 bucks to get music streamed when I can just get a cheap AUX cord and plug it into my device.

3) You talk about quality? How is HDMI quality? HDMI cables are marketed differently with "120 Hz" or "240Hz" but they are all the same. You can go to your nearest dollar store pick up a HDMI cable and buy the most top-of-the-line HDMI cable from any store, (You might want to sit down for this), and you get the EXACT.SAME.QUALITY.PICTURE. There is no difference in sound quality and no one uses HDMI to stream music only. You can purchase any cheap car adapter for the B.M.G. and use it in your car easy, try it with the Apple TV.

4) Also, you missed a very simple detail: The BlackBerry Music Gateway is designed for MUSIC content, whereas the AppleTV is designed for TV content. This discussion should really just stop here but I'm on a roll here.

5) The BlackBerry Music Gateway is compatible with almost any current media system with the AUX 3.5mm connector and with it's bluetooth connectivity it can easily connect to any smartphone on the market, pretty appealing to the majority user group. Not to mention the fact that you can have multiple devices connected to it, allowing your friends to play their songs and become the DJ's.Heck, it even works with NFC, and we all know that you read that article a wile back about how "Apple was going to pioneer NFC to the world" and what not.

6) Not everyone has iTunes (I have an iPhone and I don't even LIKE using iTunes, ****tiest piece of software for PC ever) and not everyone want's iTunes. The BlackBerry Music Gateway can basically connect to any Bluetooth device, like my laptop, and steam music to an entertainment system using any music playing program, like windows media player or even VLC for that matter.

7) You mentioned quality a lot. Let's talk about Apple quality. It's all made in china under some of the worst working conditions in modern times, and it's obsolete on release when TV's come built in with the very features your paying for. Sure, you get a nice apple warranty, but don't you ever wonder why they offer you such a nice deal? Maybe because it's soo cheap to manufacture that in case something does go wrong and there needs to be a replacement (and trust me, there always is) it's just pennies out of apples pockets?

You want to have an opinion, be able to back it up with logical facts. BS alone can't save you here. Calling something inferior because you don't like it is ignorant.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Just for the record, Apple TV has received plenty of coverage over the years here.....

Apple TV | iMore.com

EDIT: Why do people have to be so polarized over platform choice? You know some of us appreciate all the platforms. I have a BB Phone & Tablet, an Android Tablet and an iOS ipod Touch. Plus I have owned Android phones and OTHER android tablets in the past also in addition to my current Nexus 7. And for my next phone I still have not ruled out the iphone 5, but I will honestly say I am leaning towards the BB10, BUT the iphone WILL get serious consideration, especially if BB10 gets delayed again.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Aww kiddo, now you just sound like a blathering idiot (not that your earlier retorts were much different to be honest). Admit a few things to yourself...

- You know dick all about audio equipment
- You made this thread and realized early on that your argument was pretty asinine
- You now must resort to personal shots (IE: calling us retarded) because you still have no point

...the bottom line is this, sure...the Apple TV does more than the BB Gateway in the same way that a speed boat does more than a canoe. In the end, your point was made, you would rather spend twice as much money on the Apple TV because you want a multi-channel source for your MP3 library and you don't think the BB Gateway is worth it...we get it, you're an Apple TV fan, congratulations, you are a winner.

Putting aside that, you should really step back and do some research before you waste money on the Apple TV if this multi-channel audio is so important to you, there are other (See: Better) options out there that you could be using...and had you found these things, you wouldn't seem like such a dolt trying to scream to the masses how amazing the Apple TV is.

Good luck to you little one.

Reactions: Sharma15

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR