Why are Android users so militant?

Lodingi

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Some of your responses illustrate why Android owners are "militant," to use the OP's term. The way that many iPhone users articulate their opinion that iPhones are superior rubs Android users the wrong way. Both platforms have pros and cons. IMO, there is a bit of hypocrisy here by both camps when it comes to characterizing attitudes.

I don't see these comments you mention. I do see many of the many militant comments the op mentions.

As far as the "openness" of Android, I find a jail broken iOS device gives me everything I want. *shrugs*

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
When was Apple last sued?

There's WAY too much suing going on. These companies need to figure out how to get along and stop the constant legal battles... and since you asked, I found this interesting chart of the current patent lawsuits pending:

85477.jpg

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
This is not just limited to cell phones. I'm sure some of you have visited a gaming site or two such as IGN or 1UP. Those can get real nasty regarding Xboxes and Playstations or Call of Duty and EA Battlefield franchises.

I hear what some of you are saying. I visit the 4 main sites on mobile nations and it can get a tad bit ridiculous when someone posts any sort of criticism whether its justifiable or not.

ParanoidPyro

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I recently switched from Android to iOS and I dealt with crap from both sides before and after the switch. While on android, everytime i took out my phone, iphone users would talk about how great apple was and would mock me for not getting an iphone because why would anyone get anything but an iphone? I loved the android and most of the android hate I experienced was when the g1 came out. Once I was on the Nexus One, the android hate had died down a bit, but there was still blind apple love. I must admit, it was quite annoying to hear people talk about the iphone like it was a magical device that unicorns and rainbows came out of.

Once I switched to iphone, and even while in talks of switching to the iphone (4s for the camera and other personal reasons I battled with, yes. seriously battled with contemplating switching from android to iphone), I was bombarded with iphone hate and android love. People were claiming that I was switching over like the masses and will just become another mindless iphone user with no control over my phone.

It's been 3 months since the iphone and I waited forever for the 4s jailbreak. There is a huge difference between a jailbroken and unjailbroken iphone for myself. I do not regret the switch. There are still a few things I miss about android, but all in all, I am happy with my decision. I get both sides of android vs iphone, but disagree with the blatant hate for either parties.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't see these comments you mention. I do see many of the many militant comments the op mentions.

As far as the "openness" of Android, I find a jail broken iOS device gives me everything I want. *shrugs*

The whole point of me switching from iPhone to Android, was that i didn't have to jailbreak, to get everything i want. Every new IOS upgrade, means waiting for a new jailbreak. My Android "out of the box", does everything that your jailbroken iPhone does. Just my opinion, folks. Everyone should use the phone that they are happiest with.:)

jclif

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
The whole point of me switching from iPhone to Android, was that i didn't have to jailbreak, to get everything i want. Every new IOS upgrade, means waiting for a new jailbreak. My Android "out of the box", does everything that your jailbroken iPhone does. Just my opinion, folks. Everyone should use the phone that they are happiest with.:)

You are a prefect example of the problem I currently have with CB. I was an avid BB user for quite a number of years and switched to the iPhone about a year ago. Now CB has a forum dedicated to the iPhone, but it seems that the people over there think it is for them to bash Apple, and when someone like me who siwtched tries to stick up for Apple, I get told to basically be quiet and go to iMore. Now you were a former iPhone user, switched to Android and I have never seen anyone from iMore say anything like that to you. To me CB has become an exclusive club in the minds of the members and non BB users just aren't welcome.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
You are a prefect example of the problem I currently have with CB. I was an avid BB user for quite a number of years and switched to the iPhone about a year ago. Now CB has a forum dedicated to the iPhone, but it seems that the people over there think it is for them to bash Apple, and when someone like me who siwtched tries to stick up for Apple, I get told to basically be quiet and go to iMore. Now you were a former iPhone user, switched to Android and I have never seen anyone from iMore say anything like that to you. To me CB has become an exclusive club in the minds of the members and non BB users just aren't welcome.

That's because, in my opinion, BB is going down the tubes. They've pinned all their hopes on BB10, and if it doesn't impress enough people, RIMM will fold. :rolleyes:

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

I couldn't agree more with this post. Which is why I will soon be a Google Galaxy Nexus owner running the new Jellybean update. :D That is, IF it ever gets here. Currently it is being held up for shipping due to one of Apples MANY frivolous lawsuits. :rolleyes:

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't agree more with this post. Which is why I will soon be a Google Galaxy Nexus owner running the new Jellybean update. :D That is, IF it ever gets here. Currently it is being held up for shipping due to one of Apples MANY frivolous lawsuits. :rolleyes:

Patience Rose, i think that the lawsuit will be settled soon.:)

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Patience Rose, i think that the lawsuit will be settled soon.:)
It is my understanding that the courts are allowing Samsung to sell it again, however, I think Google is loading Jellybean on all the ones in stock before shipping it out. My email said 1-2 weeks till it ships so that means I have about one more week. :eek:

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Oh, this is gonna be fun!

Human nature. I get something I like. Someone says : "Hey that's crap, look what I got here, I can do this and that and you don't". I get pissed. I reunite with people who bought the same device I have, and there I feel safe to wage a war against users of the other device. We hate to see somebody else having something we don't and enjoy himself.

French thinker Ren? Girard argued that the fundation of society lays in archaic rituals of sacrifice. His theory relies on the idea that desire is not autonomous : it always imitates the desire of another person for an object, "mimetic desire". Thus a rivalry is created, that culminates quickly while the original object of mimetic desire is replaced by the generalized mimetism of antagonism itself - as every single soul of the tribe starts feuds of his own. With such a murderous tension hanging over, a single individual exhibiting the most frivolous difference from the rest of the tribe would suffice to trigger retaliation. The "marginal" would become the designed object of general antogonism, and the "scapegoat mechanism" would set itself into place. The sacrifice would release the tension, reunite the tribe, and thus society would evolve towards a new state, where the same pattern would begin again. What am I talking about? Read this post from the beginning : "pissy Apple users", "militant Android users", reuniting upon the sacrifice of BB users. I'm not judging anyone, I'm just about the same. But stop and take a look at the archaic being inside all of us, with advanced technology at hand. Stanley Kubrick's most spectacular ellipsis of all times, anyone? :)

There's that new guy where I work... electronics store sporting "Some Canadian Carrier" kiosque and selling smartphones on contract. He's all about Android, that guy. Went on and on for a month about the (then) upcoming Samsung SIII. Finally got it. The point is not that he's not thrilled with it. The point is the first week he took to "master" the device. Hilarious. Guy's been playing with Android for the past five years, and he was at a total lost regarding some functions. Hell, "Some Canadian Carrier" even offered a webinar highlighting and explaining the main features, and three different e-trainings, and some article with "easy steps" on how to introduce the SIII to a potential customer. Thing is, I outdid him in the three tests we had to take, both in time and score, and I don't even care about the device. Put it to his face. Never gonna let him forget that, for all his bragging beforehand, and it's all the more easy when every day I can see him fidgeting with it, not knowing how to fully optimize all those rocking features for his personal use... I'm not saying this is the case of any Android user, but there's some truth in that story, on certain levels.

And then there's my friend... always had a BB, always was all about PC, always hated Apple. Not the angry or militant type though, just confident in his choices... and hating Apple. Spent the day with him a couple of months ago. He had just bought the New iPad... So it was with some perverse pleasure that I said : "Well I thought you would go for a BB on this one, I heard they were going to open their market and everything...". And he answered straight : "They didn't open sweet f*** all. iPad rulz!" Still as confident, but now loving Apple.

Personnally, I don't really care what device the others are using, though I love to chat with other iPhone owners. I never had a BB, nor an Android, and I won't judge. But there's that ape inside of me that roars and inflates his chest when I see some non-Apple user's demise. I'm none the better than anyone else. Human nature...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The short and sweet is...no matter what side of the fence you're approaching this question from (iPhone owners being fanboys, Android owners being militant, Blackberry owners...being blackberry owners), it's all the same...

1242032359_haters-gonna-hate.gif

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Yeap, just be glad you are using the device you are using and everything else shouldn't matter unless you work in any of those companies, rightfully.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

Which is why I rarely post there any more. They call us iSheep with our iCrap and iToys and it's okay, but if one of us defends Apple or points out a problem with a post filled with misinformation, we get labeled as trolls. At least the CB mods banned a few of the abusive users earlier in the week.

Sad part was a year ago, I hated Apple. I was content with my Storm2 and it's shortcomings about the lack of support, no apps and freezing/bricking. Then the ex got an iPhone and I helped him set it up. My eyes then were opened to the glory that was Apple and how amazing the iPhone really was.

Last edited:

mullrat

Jun 8, 2008
Visit site
And there are still people out there who behave that way about their Blackberries. It has nothing to do with the phone, and everything to do with the owners. It's like religious fundamentalists. You can't tell them they're wrong, because they believe, and they don't understand why you're not swept up in their zeal.

Sorry to play with your quote but this sums it all up. It's a belief. THey actually believe that Google cares about them. It's mostly sad...

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site

One thing about using the iPhone. I don't have to wait for my carrier to approve and release an update to the OS. I don't have to wait for Dell to approve an update for Windows, do I?

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73