Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I noticed that, only the 9900 gets HSPA/LTE boost.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
No LTE on 9900 either. It supports HSPA+ but does not have an LTE radio. Only some Androids and Windows Phones currently support LTE on AT&T's network.

The new iPhone will almost certainly have an LTE radio.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
:what: uhh.....there are plenty of paid apps on BBOS. Haven't you seen the video of the $500 clock widget CrackBerry Kevin bought? But as far as what I bought on BBOS, I bought MeterBerry, BerryWeather (most accurate weather app I've ever used), QuickLaunch, Tapatalk, and I think that's it but it totals around $20-30, I forgot how much MeterBerry costs.

And the only reason iPhone wins in case cost over the BlackBerry is because of the Book Book, Otterbox Defender, BoxWave Keyboard Buddy and LifeProof cases. Otherwise I think BlackBerry would win that one too. I even changed the housing on the 9700 I had.

I think the only things keeping from outright choosing BB right now are the screen size, media capabilities/wifi hotspot (I have a Kindle Fire but it's not always the best option), and the fact that this one I have gets crape signal in my house. But I attribute that to Verizon not putting a 4G SIM in it. Verizon is the only carrier I know of that says the 9900/30 isn't 4G, maybe not full 4G, but it will still get a speed boost and signal boost from pulling off the 4G towers as well.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Calm down. Don't get your knickers in a knot.

My point was there aren't many paid BB apps as there are iOS because there are very few who develop for BBOS anymore. I do miss BeWeather. I've yet to find an iOS app that I like as much as I did BeWeather.

As to why anyone would spend $500 on a widget is beyond me, but whatever blows his dress up. $500 to me is a mortgage payment.

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site

My point was there aren't many paid BB apps as there are iOS because there are very few who develop for BBOS anymore. I do miss BeWeather. I've yet to find an iOS app that I like as much as I did BeWeather.

As to why anyone would spend $500 on a widget is beyond me, but whatever blows his dress up. $500 to me is a mortgage payment.
How is Accuweather for the iPhone? http://www.accuweather.com/iphone.asp

I like the Windows Phone version of Accuweather better than BerryWeather for BlackBerry?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
How is Accuweather for the iPhone? AccuWeather.com: Apple iPhone Weather

I like the Windows Phone version of Accuweather better than BerryWeather for BlackBerry?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

I like it. It works well, but the one thing I miss about BeWeather was just having the widget on the home screen and being able to change WPs. With themes, you're stuck with whatever WP the developer wants unless you SSH your phone and change it that way and I'm too lazy to do it.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I like it. It works well, but the one thing I miss about BeWeather was just having the widget on the home screen and being able to change WPs. With themes, you're stuck with whatever WP the developer wants unless you SSH your phone and change it that way and I'm too lazy to do it.

:)So Laura, if i understand what your saying here correctly - your 4S is jb'en BUT you can't use what ever wp you want :confused: It only allows you what the dev created the theme with unless you do that SSH step?

I've very surprised by that because people jb their iPhones to have all sorts of customization, but they take changing wp's away within a theme?

i don't understand that one.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
:)So Laura, if i understand what your saying here correctly - your 4S is jb'en BUT you can't use what ever wp you want :confused: It only allows you what the dev created the theme with unless you do that SSH step?

I've very surprised by that because people jb their iPhones to have all sorts of customization, but they take changing wp's away within a theme?

i don't understand that one.

Yep. You can change the WP by SSHing, but I'm just too lazy to do it. I generally only download themes or widgets that have backgrounds I can live with. SSHing to change the weather location is bad enough. :)

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Yep. You can change the WP by SSHing, but I'm just too lazy to do it. I generally only download themes or widgets that have backgrounds I can live with. SSHing to change the weather location is bad enough. :)

Ok, well, that would indeed drive me nutzoooo not being able to change wps like they were going out of style lol. And I'd want to be able to down the weather thing too:)

When I was still using bb, I wouldn't buy/dwld a theme unless it was wp friendly. Out of the 200+ themes I had, maybe 3 werent wp friendly & I didn't use them much at all.

bbui4

May 1, 2010
Visit site
If VZW is your carrier, the SIM means nothing. You could take it out completely and still use VZW's network (which is CDMA, not LTE). The 9930 and the iPhone are both CDMA devices on VZW. Only some of the Android devices are LTE at this time.

The SIM in any VZW "world phone" (dual CDMA/GSM) is for international roaming, not for use on VZW's network. The reason for that is most overseas carriers do not have CDMA networks, so a VZW phone without a GSM SIM would be a paperweight in Europe.

I would have to mention that MOST high end Android phones on Verizon are LTE, not some. You are definitely correct that iPhone, Blackberry, and WP haven't released any LTE phones on Verizon yet.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site

You said knickers! hehehehe

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site

We are talking CrackBerryKevin here. He's not like most folks. ;). Right now while waiting for BB10 to be released he is on a tour of the platforms and Mobile National sites. Currently he's on Android and Android Central and he wrote a blog about a 200 Google Play app he bought

http://www.androidcentral.com/expensive-android-app-kevin-is-crazy

Ironically the app has a picture of an iphone on it!

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't go with an iPhone. Apple copied EVERYTHING from Android. Android was the first cell phone ever and Apple copied everything that Android has, even the phone keypad, which Android created. Also, Android was the first to have a map. Nobody ever had a map before Android, nobody. People were constantly lost until Android gave them the ability to find their way. And because Android was the first to have a weather widget, nobody knew what the weather was like outside before Android.

You're right...just look at iOS 6.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

NaijaFanboy

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
My friend I would suggest iPhone, since. Got my first iPhone 3G back in 2008 my life has been made simpler.

D you need seamless maps to navigate, whether by foot or by car? The maps function is second to none.
Easy to access web browsing, where websites are just like the full-on pc browser, instead of the mobile internet.
Free or extremely cheap voice communication with other iOS or android users through viber, whatsapp, or other IM clients
Taking care of business on the go, using the w derail Microsoft One Note, or creating and editing presentations through Keynote,
Editing photographs with iPhoto, capturing random images and seamlessly having the, backed up nthe cloud and pushed into photostream
Widest array of games, many free, for those moments where you just want to relax and be in a relaxed mood
Catch up n tv shows with BBC iPlayer or various other entertainment apps
Follow interactive business seminars by downloading podcast which can be watched anytime outside of your data plan.

I can go on and on and on. I have owned 4 blackberries and 2 iPhones over the years, never had an android, but my friend, you can't go wrong with an iPhone, I really is the device that literally does it all.

peterthomas

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Well, the one who believe in Apple will buy it without any problem, and the one who is not interested is expected to have lots of problems with the iPhone!

ejsmith01

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I agree with all that has been noted so far. All three platforms have something special that keeps the diehard techies coming back, but each year brings something new to a platform that other models have not implemented YET. I have a Blackberry 9650 (32 GB) and have been very happy with it's performance. I am looking to update or move to another platform now and also going thru the same thought processes as "MM". Most of my family members have the iPhone 4S and they are encouraging me to switch if for nothing else than the Facetime app. My son has a Razr (Android) and he enjoys the social media aspect of droid apps. I do enjoy talking/seeing my kin on the phone, but there has got to be more about a phone. I am a power user and want it all. Make no mistake, I have defended BB as a true business phone (no extraneous crap apps), but now that RIM is going thru "pains" and delaying BB 10 til 2013, my patience has run thin. It's time to move on. I am ready to jump to the new Samsung Galaxy SIII which has so many things I am looking for , faster processor, pre-loaded business apps, life style apps (google maps) , flexible display screen, and a tremendous app market (move over apple). I read a CNET review comparing the SIII with what is rumored to be the new Apple IOS 6, and SIII wins, but one drawback is security of the Android (more susceptible to malware). There are apps you can buy to improve Android security. The SIII is now and the Apple iPhone 5 may or may not be out in October. Overall, I think your choice may come down to timing. Good hunting.:)

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
We are talking CrackBerryKevin here. He's not like most folks. ;). Right now while waiting for BB10 to be released he is on a tour of the platforms and Mobile National sites. Currently he's on Android and Android Central and he wrote a blog about a 200 Google Play app he bought

http://www.androidcentral.com/expensive-android-app-kevin-is-crazy

Ironically the app has a picture of an iphone on it!

So he spent $700 on two apps? That's a mortgage payment and just over half of my truck note.

Darn this being an adult thing and having a desire for a roof over my head, running water and to not eat cat food. I can't even bring myself to pay more than a couple dollars for an app.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
So he spent $700 on two apps? That's a mortgage payment and just over half of my truck note.

Darn this being an adult thing and having a desire for a roof over my head, running water and to not eat cat food. I can't even bring myself to pay more than a couple dollars for an app.

Yea that's just under my mortgage payment. I hear ya!

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Agreed, but Kevin makes more than most of us I think. $10 is the most I've spent on an app. But I have chosen iPhone for the time being, we'll see what BB10 brings.

Sent from my jailbroken iPhone with Tapatalk

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
So he spent $700 on two apps?
I'd spend that much on a phone if it was one that I really wanted and I knew it would meet my needs, but definitely not a app.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro