i remember when gasoline was..

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You're a sick man, Keith, in regard to walking barefoot uphill both ways in the snow...(laughing)...but you're right and don't forget about having to go outside to turn the antenna to get the best signal for a clearer television experience. Oh, and the ONE telephone that had a cord that could wrap around the neighborhood. ;)

Never had to go outside to turn the TV antenna - we had a rotor. :)

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I feel sorry for kids... they'll never know that once upon a time, you had 3 channels of TV to pick from, and maybe a 4th if PBS channel came on the air... and there was no such things as cell phones... computers with the tech specs of the average smartphone today filled a room... and we walked barefoot in the snow to school - uphill both ways :D

Thank God it never snows here.

You also forgot there was no such thing as Google. If we wanted to know something, there were these dusty books called encyclopedias. We had to look stuff up.

Me too, it was right right around a dollar a gallon, in fact I remember when it broke the dollar mark and how upset we were. Can you imagine how happy we would be now to pay a dollar a gallon? Right now it's more in Philly than in Jersey, so I usually fill up during my trips to visit family there or to the parent's shore house on the weekends. It's about 3.50 here, and about 3.10 in Jersey

In Arkansas, it's about $3.11/gal. Cross the river into TN and MS, and it can flux anywhere between $3.50 and $4 a gallon. The station closest to me is $3.21. Wal-Mart gas is $3.11 but the line is usually wrapped around the block twice and I don't have time to wait to save a dollar.

Me and brothers were the rotor. ;)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

This made me laugh. I can't count the times I had to get up and adjust the rabbit ears at my granny's house so she could watch Wheel of Fortune every night.

I filled up my Mazda MX5 (Miata) yesterday for under $35...

I used to be able to do that with my Saturn, but I hated that car. There towards the end of its life, it got awful gas mileage and I was spending that every third day on gas.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Speaking of TV, how many of us were "remote controls" for Dad? I remember him flipping me in the back of my head and saying "Channel 4"... then I'd get up off the floor where I was sitting and watching TV, walk across the room, change the mechanical dial on the TV to channel 4 and walk back and sit down again... ahhhh, the good old days.

and I was nearly 20 years old before Dad got his first COLOR TV.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Speaking of TV, how many of us were "remote controls" for Dad? I remember him flipping me in the back of my head and saying "Channel 4"... then I'd get up off the floor where I was sitting and watching TV, walk across the room, change the mechanical dial on the TV to channel 4 and walk back and sit down again... ahhhh, the good old days.

and I was nearly 20 years old before Dad got his first COLOR TV.

Oh yeah. Me and my brothers were indeed human remote controls for both Mom and Dad. The good thing is the fact that we watched TV as a family because we only had one and it was a Zenith. It's not like nowadays where we have a TV in every room and everyone is watching their own thing. (sigh)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You also forgot there was no such thing as Google. If we wanted to know something, there were these dusty books called encyclopedias. We had to look stuff up.

OMG! We had the 1970 edition encyclopedia books and I had to rely on those things (when doing research at home) until I graduated from high school. Kids today (generally speaking, of course) have information at their fingertips but are brain dead to the core.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The really funny (scary?) part is that when I tell my kids about this, they don't believe me. And my grandkids look at me like I have 3 heads. They can't grasp the concept of "records", a single B&W TV with 3 snowy stations to watch, and movies that you watch with a film projector... we had one phone in the house and it was a big, black "desk" model with a rotary dial, connected to the wall with a terminal block - didn't even have the RJ-11 plugs...

And we didn't go out to eat every day - or even every week. Eating in a restaurant was a real, special treat...

I learned to ride my bike without a helmet, probably ate lead paint, and my "seatbelt" in the car was the back of Dad's arm to keep me from flying around in the car as I stood in the front seat between him and Mom... but we all survived, anyway. :)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The really funny (scary?) part is that when I tell my kids about this, they don't believe me. And my grandkids look at me like I have 3 heads. They can't grasp the concept of "records", a single B&W TV with 3 snowy stations to watch, and movies that you watch with a film projector... we had one phone in the house and it was a big, black "desk" model with a rotary dial, connected to the wall with a terminal block - didn't even have the RJ-11 plugs...

And we didn't go out to eat every day - or even every week. Eating in a restaurant was a real, special treat...

I learned to ride my bike without a helmet, probably ate lead paint, and my "seatbelt" in the car was the back of Dad's arm to keep me from flying around in the car as I stood in the front seat between him and Mom... but we all survived, anyway. :)

(laughing).... You are so right, my friend. Those were the days. ;)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
ROFL, yea we were human remote too! Actually we also had one of THE first test cable systems too in Philly in the 70ies, with a wired remote cable box. It was only in a 20 block area and my house happened to be in that area. No one else in Philly had it, heck most of the country didn't have it and it wasn't the cable that we have now. Here's a blog about it....

Philadelphia Memories: Cable TV Comes to South Philly

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
When i was a kid (i'm in my 60's), i would buy cigarettes for my Grandfather at 25cents a pack, and inside the wrapper were two new pennies! Does anyone remember that?:D

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
When i was a kid (i'm in my 60's), i would buy cigarettes for my Grandfather at 25cents a pack, and inside the wrapper were two new pennies! Does anyone remember that?:D

I remember buying smokes for my uncle... he'd give us each a dime to buy 'em... not sure of the cost, but 25 cents sounds about right. Don't recall the pennies though... I remember his brand came with coupons that you could use to get stuff, a la "trading stamps".

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
When I was old enough to pay for my own gas it was about $1.25/gallon. I remember hearing people complain about the prices back then, but now people would LOVE to pay that, lol.

Sent from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I remember buying smokes for my uncle... he'd give us each a dime to buy 'em... not sure of the cost, but 25 cents sounds about right. Don't recall the pennies though... I remember his brand came with coupons that you could use to get stuff, a la "trading stamps".

I believe that the brand was Raleigh.:)

iVazz

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
When I started driving gas was $.99.9. I remember getting mad when it went up to $1.09.9.

Sent from the dark recesses of my mind using Tapatalk.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I was explaining to my kids how a quarter, and especially 50 cents, could buy you enough junk food to last you a couple days. Cookies and candy were not charged 'per item' like they are now. My kids just stare at me with amazement at hearing that. Heck, when my 22 year old son was grade school age, he didn't even know what an album/LP was. I recall him asking if it were a "big CD"....(laughing)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR