Speaking of TV, how many of us were "remote controls" for Dad? I remember him flipping me in the back of my head and saying "Channel 4"... then I'd get up off the floor where I was sitting and watching TV, walk across the room, change the mechanical dial on the TV to channel 4 and walk back and sit down again... ahhhh, the good old days.

and I was nearly 20 years old before Dad got his first COLOR TV.
    Last edited by Fausty82; 06-12-2012 at 05:36 PM.
    06-12-2012 05:33 PM
    Speaking of TV, how many of us were "remote controls" for Dad? I remember him flipping me in the back of my head and saying "Channel 4"... then I'd get up off the floor where I was sitting and watching TV, walk across the room, change the mechanical dial on the TV to channel 4 and walk back and sit down again... ahhhh, the good old days.

and I was nearly 20 years old before Dad got his first COLOR TV.
    Oh yeah. Me and my brothers were indeed human remote controls for both Mom and Dad. The good thing is the fact that we watched TV as a family because we only had one and it was a Zenith. It's not like nowadays where we have a TV in every room and everyone is watching their own thing. (sigh)

Just Me, D
    (iPhone 4S)
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 06-12-2012 at 06:46 PM.
    06-12-2012 06:39 PM

You also forgot there was no such thing as Google. If we wanted to know something, there were these dusty books called encyclopedias. We had to look stuff up.
    OMG! We had the 1970 edition encyclopedia books and I had to rely on those things (when doing research at home) until I graduated from high school. Kids today (generally speaking, of course) have information at their fingertips but are brain dead to the core.

Just Me, D
    (iPhone 4S)
    06-12-2012 06:45 PM
    The really funny (scary?) part is that when I tell my kids about this, they don't believe me. And my grandkids look at me like I have 3 heads. They can't grasp the concept of "records", a single B&W TV with 3 snowy stations to watch, and movies that you watch with a film projector... we had one phone in the house and it was a big, black "desk" model with a rotary dial, connected to the wall with a terminal block - didn't even have the RJ-11 plugs...

And we didn't go out to eat every day - or even every week. Eating in a restaurant was a real, special treat...

I learned to ride my bike without a helmet, probably ate lead paint, and my "seatbelt" in the car was the back of Dad's arm to keep me from flying around in the car as I stood in the front seat between him and Mom... but we all survived, anyway.
    kch50428 and Laura Knotek like this.
    06-12-2012 07:20 PM
    The really funny (scary?) part is that when I tell my kids about this, they don't believe me. And my grandkids look at me like I have 3 heads. They can't grasp the concept of "records", a single B&W TV with 3 snowy stations to watch, and movies that you watch with a film projector... we had one phone in the house and it was a big, black "desk" model with a rotary dial, connected to the wall with a terminal block - didn't even have the RJ-11 plugs...

And we didn't go out to eat every day - or even every week. Eating in a restaurant was a real, special treat...

I learned to ride my bike without a helmet, probably ate lead paint, and my "seatbelt" in the car was the back of Dad's arm to keep me from flying around in the car as I stood in the front seat between him and Mom... but we all survived, anyway.
    (laughing).... You are so right, my friend. Those were the days.

Just Me, D
    (iPhone 4S)
    06-12-2012 07:31 PM
    ROFL, yea we were human remote too! Actually we also had one of THE first test cable systems too in Philly in the 70ies, with a wired remote cable box. It was only in a 20 block area and my house happened to be in that area. No one else in Philly had it, heck most of the country didn't have it and it wasn't the cable that we have now. Here's a blog about it....

Philadelphia Memories: Cable TV Comes to South Philly
    06-13-2012 09:53 PM
    When i was a kid (i'm in my 60's), i would buy cigarettes for my Grandfather at 25cents a pack, and inside the wrapper were two new pennies! Does anyone remember that?
    06-15-2012 11:30 AM
    When i was a kid (i'm in my 60's), i would buy cigarettes for my Grandfather at 25cents a pack, and inside the wrapper were two new pennies! Does anyone remember that?
    I remember buying smokes for my uncle... he'd give us each a dime to buy 'em... not sure of the cost, but 25 cents sounds about right. Don't recall the pennies though... I remember his brand came with coupons that you could use to get stuff, a la "trading stamps".
    06-15-2012 11:34 AM
    When I was old enough to pay for my own gas it was about $1.25/gallon. I remember hearing people complain about the prices back then, but now people would LOVE to pay that, lol.

Sent from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD.
    06-15-2012 11:41 AM
    I remember buying smokes for my uncle... he'd give us each a dime to buy 'em... not sure of the cost, but 25 cents sounds about right. Don't recall the pennies though... I remember his brand came with coupons that you could use to get stuff, a la "trading stamps".
    I believe that the brand was Raleigh.
    06-15-2012 11:59 AM
    I believe that the brand was Raleigh.
    I think you're right... sure sounds familiar...
    06-15-2012 12:11 PM
    When I started driving gas was $.99.9. I remember getting mad when it went up to $1.09.9.

Sent from the dark recesses of my mind using Tapatalk.
    06-15-2012 12:28 PM
    I think you're right... sure sounds familiar...
    I bought the smokes out of a vending machine. The pennies were pre-packaged at the factory. They were Lucky Strikes. I don't know if they still make them or not, LOL.
    06-15-2012 12:32 PM
    I was explaining to my kids how a quarter, and especially 50 cents, could buy you enough junk food to last you a couple days. Cookies and candy were not charged 'per item' like they are now. My kids just stare at me with amazement at hearing that. Heck, when my 22 year old son was grade school age, he didn't even know what an album/LP was. I recall him asking if it were a "big CD"....(laughing)

Just Me, D
    (iPhone 4S)
    06-15-2012 12:47 PM
    I bought the smokes out of a vending machine. The pennies were pre-packaged at the factory. They were Lucky Strikes. I don't know if they still make them or not, LOL.
    Oh, yeah... who doesn't remember LSMFT?
    06-15-2012 01:18 PM
    Yes, we are.......and yes, I do remember the LONG lines especially during the Carter administration. That sucked, but shortly thereafter, those full-service stations became self-service stations. Those were the days, weren't they?

Just Me, D
    (iPhone 4S)
    I remember that too. I also remember the stations went from full serve to mini serve before adopting self serve. Mini serve was where the attendant only pumped gas but didn't clean windshield, check tires, etc.
    06-15-2012 01:43 PM
    Isn't it amazing any of us survived??? With all the new "safety" regulations now, seriously, how did anyone grow up? No helmets, sitting in the front seat, buying smokes from a machine...
    Also I got my license in 1996 and gas was .99 a gallon, and I would drive hard and fast and fill it up all the time and not care!!! Now I don't even hit the gas pedal in traffic!! I just coast through the city!!! 60 dollar fill ups is a TRAVESTY!!!
    06-15-2012 03:45 PM
    Never had to go outside to turn the TV antenna - we had a rotor.
    My dad installed a rotor. It was really cool. He had a nice antenna too. I remember picking up a TV station from Detroit and watching Browns games on Sunday that were blacked out locally.
    06-16-2012 01:16 AM
    OMG! We had the 1970 edition encyclopedia books and I had to rely on those things (when doing research at home) until I graduated from high school. Kids today (generally speaking, of course) have information at their fingertips but are brain dead to the core.

Just Me, D
    (iPhone 4S)
    My parents bought me an Encyclopedia Britannica in the 70s. I used it for all of my homework papers from grade school through high school. I also learned how to use the library card catalogs to find books for homework assignments.

I actually ended up working at the local public library when I was in high school and college, but by that time (starting in 1985) the library had computerized its catalog.
    06-16-2012 01:20 AM

There were no such things as booster seats in cars either. Once kids were too big for car seats or being held they just sat in the car.

How about when TV stations signed off? I don't think any do that anymore.
    06-16-2012 01:22 AM
    There were no such things as booster seats in cars either. Once kids were too big for car seats or being held they just sat in the car.

How about when TV stations signed off? I don't think any do that anymore.
    The national anthem and the Indian on the screen. I remember that. The Indian scared the crap out of me too. The local PBS station used to do that a long time ago when I was a kid. It'd end with the National Anthem followed by that annoying beep and that Indian screen.

Filled up my truck on Friday after work. $3.04/gal. Never thought I'd be so happy to see gas at $3/gallon.
    06-18-2012 09:28 AM
    I never paid attention to gas prices until I got my first car in 1986. I remember finding places around Atlanta that were 79 and 80 cents a gallon. Even until as recently as 2000 it was 1.10 in Yorktown, Virginia where I used to live and it's exploded, pardon the pun, upwards lately.
    06-19-2012 07:24 AM
    I remember gas hovering around $1 in the late 90's, when I was a kid.
    06-19-2012 07:43 AM
    It's all Bush's fault. Bush controlled the price of a barrel of oil from OPEC.
    06-24-2012 09:28 AM
    It's all Bush's fault. Bush controlled the price of a barrel of oil from OPEC.
    Please tell me you're being sarcastic!

Just Me, D
    (iPhone 4S)
    BrindawithanI likes this.
    06-24-2012 10:09 AM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD