Facebook credentials during an interview...

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Seriously, what is this world coming to?

Based on this story, among others online, would you give your Facebook, and Twitter credentials for that matter, to someone during an interview?

What could a company achieve by viewing my Facebook and Twitter info?

I don't even use Facebook, but...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Nope, but if I absolutely had to in order to secure a specific job, I would allow them to peruse the tweets of my secondary account where the subject is mostly sports and tech related. There is no way I'd give them access to my primary & protected Twitter account where I'm very active politically. As for Facebook, I deactivated that account years ago because I never really warmed up to it. Furthermore, everyone wanted a friend request just to be nosy.

Just Me, D
Tapatalk (iPhone 4S)

doublebullout

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I would refuse. What's my legal recourse if I am not extended a job offer because of something I posted on Facebook? Employers are permitted to do background checks. That should be good enough.

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Under no circumstance would I give such info. Job or not. There is no way that's not illegal and it's also a violation of the terms of service. I've made myself pretty hard to find but should an employer find me I also make it hard to add me or see/circumvent my photos to do that "report inappropriate picture" thing to see all your pics.

If Facebook would allow me to make myself completely impossible to find, like it used to, that would be ideal.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
i dont have a FB, twitter, or involve myself in any other "social" app similar to those. I never did agree with the whole FB thing. Now does a perspective employer have the right to your password to check up on you?!? hellz no !! I've heard of this being done and personally i feel what you do on your OWN time should not reflect how the employer views you or your work ethic while employed with that company IF your doing your job as you should be. But unfortunately, this is what this world is coming to.

Now, on another note -- this FB could go a different route, reason being depending on WHO is emplyoing you. ie. fbi, cia, government etc. At that point then hiding a FB would be pointless, lol. They're gonna find out any and all dirt on you regardless--and if you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to worry about.

thats my take on the whole sitch. overall i don't agree with giving out the pw for your personal fb. period.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
On a side note, I want to be like you Pink, and not be on any social media website. I don't use Facebook anymore, and Twitter is slowly getting on my last nerve. It is not like it used to be when it was first released. It is all about advertising and people promoting this and that...

i dont have a FB, twitter, or involve myself in any other "social" app similar to those. I never did agree with the whole FB thing. Now does a perspective employer have the right to your password to check up on you?!? hellz no !! I've heard of this being done and personally i feel what you do on your OWN time should not reflect how the employer views you or your work ethic while employed with that company IF your doing your job as you should be. But unfortunately, this is what this world is coming to.

Now, on another note -- this FB could go a different route, reason being depending on WHO is emplyoing you. ie. fbi, cia, government etc. At that point then hiding a FB would be pointless, lol. They're gonna find out any and all dirt on you regardless--and if you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to worry about.

thats my take on the whole sitch. overall i don't agree with giving out the pw for your personal fb. period.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
There is no way I'd give them access to my primary & protected Twitter account where I'm very active politically.

If you're really worried, make sure people don't even know your username...your account might be protected, but anything of yours that gets retweeted will be visible. (Just go to Twitter and do a search for your username and those tweets will pop up, along with people's replies to your tweets.)

Best policy for me is to assume that nothing online is ever truly private.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
...this seems to be a heated conversation over the internet. Strong opinions are being formed. Keep them coming.

It is a big thing. I would turn around and ask the interviewer if they'll give me one of their log-ins.... and if the comeback is "thats private... none of your business...' I'd say "so is my info". And one could also consider it as a test of how you'd treat IT policies at the company - I'd steadfastly refuse, citing views on IT security... and if they kept insisting, I'd end the interview.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you're really worried, make sure people don't even know your username...your account might be protected, but anything of yours that gets retweeted will be visible. (Just go to Twitter and do a search for your username and those tweets will pop up, along with people's replies to your tweets.)

Best policy for me is to assume that nothing online is ever truly private.

You are correct and I'm fully aware of RTs and the info that may be currently available. My point was this. If I absolutely had to give them (meaning I really wanted that particular job), I'd give them the open Twitter account, but I would flat out sacrifice the job before I'd give them access to my political Twitter account. Why? My political views are not "traditional" or the kind I am "expected" to have, so to speak. My tweets are not profane-based, degrading or disrespectful, but they are blunt, politically incorrect and unforgiving and too many people are unwilling to separate business from politics, in my opinion.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

Last edited:

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
What could a company achieve by viewing my Facebook and Twitter info?

I don't even use Facebook, but...

To see what you do in your off time. I don't post much on my Facebook. I've got some pictures of my horses, dog and cats but that's about it. I don't party or hang out at all, so you won't find any drunken pictures of me half dressed dancing on a bar at Coyote Ugly, but that's the type of stuff potential employers are looking for.

I can sort of see their point. If you're interviewing for a position that requires you to keep your nose clean both at work and off work, they're looking to see what you do in your spare time. I watched Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders: Making the Team on CMT this past fall. A few of the girls got let go from the squad for naked photos they had on Facebook or photos that showed them next to a bong or something. When you're in a job like working for the DCC where you're constantly in the limelight, a friend posting a photo of you in a bikini while grinding a light post can be career ending.

However, that being said, I do believe a person is entitled to their privacy. If someone wanted mine, I'd tell them to go lick a goat.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Facebook is fighting the trend, too... and the ACLU is even threatening to sue potential employers who ask...

Facebook Takes a Stand Against Employers Who Request Passwords

As they should. It should be illegal just as it's illegal for an employer to ask you what your religion or marital status is. I can see why they are doing it, but if you show up and do your job every day without fail and you're not screwing up on company time, what business is it of theirs what you do on your off hours? That's just me though.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
...same link I posted in my above post. Maybe I should have made it bold or something ;)

At least they are fighting back; this is simply stupid!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I can see some HR person asking people to reveal Facebook/Twitter userIDs/passwords as a test at the behest of an IT department to see how an applicant reacted... I'd be more inclined to consider someone for a job if they told me to go lick a goat when asked for userID/password info instead of handing them over... :D

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner