Which one are you?

Spiritinthesky

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
Sept 5th 2008,
A study of more than 36,000 people from around the world concluded that musical tastes and personality type were closely related.

The research, which was carried out by Professor Adrian North of Heriot Watt University, Edinburgh in the UK suggested classical music fans were shy, while heavy metal fans were gentle and at ease with themselves.

Fans of Indie music had low self-esteem and were not hard working, fans of Rap music had high self-esteem and were outgoing. Country & Western fans were hardworking and outgoing, Reggae fans were creative but not hardworking, and fans of chart pop had high self-esteem, were not creative, but where hardworking and outgoing.

So which one are you?

From This Day in Music.com

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I think that study is wrong. Certainly doesn't match up with people I know. Sounds more like a stereotype.

KStewart

Mar 19, 2006
Visit site
I think that study is wrong. Certainly doesn't match up with people I know. Sounds more like a stereotype.

I think it could be somewhere in the ballpark with people...its an actual study. The STEREOTYPE is what people think about a group of people who listen to a certain type of music. I bet you think skew of or totally think the opposite about the study in results to rap. And if so, thats the stereotype. Stereotypes are a opinionated collective thought amongst a group or many, and if you were born circa 1990, or circa 1960...your assumption of the character of individual whom listens to a group of music will be different from a point of view of someone whom may be 50 years or older to someone 21. Cant judge a book by its cover. I listen to all music so I don't know which one or where to begin. Well, not all...cant do country.

Last edited:

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I think just because you call something a "study" doesn't mean the data collected is properly interpreted. Having taken "tests and measurements" in undergrad, "stats" in grad school, and being forced to work in a "data driven" environment, I know that studies can be faulty, and data can be interpreted to provide a) what the designer wants to hear, b) what will bring in the most grant money, or c) what will make the biggest splash when it's presented.

KStewart

Mar 19, 2006
Visit site
I think just because you call something a "study" doesn't mean the data collected is properly interpreted. Having taken "tests and measurements" in undergrad, "stats" in grad school, and being forced to work in a "data driven" environment, I know that studies can be faulty, and data can be interpreted to provide a) what the designer wants to hear, b) what will bring in the most grant money, or c) what will make the biggest splash when it's presented.

I agree, it may not be properly interpreted...but the data from a study is not based on a stereotype. Study and stereotype are complete oxymoron IMO.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I suspect that's one of the faults of this study. How many people do you know who listen to only one genre of music? Even signing up for Ping you get to choose two. ;)

iCandi

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

lets not forget the researcher bias & personal views on certain groups and the music they listen to.

were the people offered incentives..? who was paying for this study a record label? hmmm

lol.. stats was fun :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro