Who do you let touch your phone

Do you let people play with your phone?

• NO WAY! I have sensitive items on my phone!

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • I have nothing to hide, but I still freak out

Votes: 24 48.0%
  • TOUCH MY PHONE AND YOU DIE!

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I don't care who plays with my phone, this is a non issue for me.

Votes: 13 26.0%

• Total voters

tres

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
As a spin off of another thread on this site, I'm curious to see if anyone else freaks out when someone touches or looks through your phone.

My girlfriend has frequently accused me of potentially hiding something because everytime she touches my phone, I'm right over her shoulder ready to grab it back. I'm just very protective of my phone; thinking "OMG DON'T DROP IT"

I don't know about anyone else, but.. I practically have a seizure when anyone even goes near my phone.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I do tend to hover. I'm terrified they'll drop it or scratch it somehow. Paranoid much? Heck yea!

Smlk

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Man, I don't like when someone handles my phone. I'm too old and boring to have anything to hide, but if they dropped it or scratched it- my husband and kids tease me, but I don't care. Their phones look like crap after a year!

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I let my friend Monica use my phone to play either Labryinth or Angry Birds. Her nephew steven (8 years old) also has access to my phone to play Angry Birds. I don't worry about it, but do make sure the kid is close to me so I can see what he's doing. Monica? She's an adult and I don't worry about her handling my phone.

AGreenGiant

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
If I drop it and it breaks, that's one thing. I don't want to have to be upset with someone who wanted to try it out and it gets dropped. :( Don't need to give out an azz whoopin.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
No one really ever uses it other than me, everyone has their own phone these days. Lately the only people who have been asking to play with my iP4 are fellow iPhone users who are still on the fence about upgrading so they want to check it out. I tend to trust them a little more than someone else with a lesser phone trying to check it out. Although I do tend to hover.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
The issues seem to be damage to the hardware and leakage of the data.

As the oldest of twelve children, I was very protective of my toys. As a young man I concluded that if I was uncomfortable when someone else played with my toy, I probably could not afford it. I remembered discovering that my playmates who were only children were much more generous with their toys than those with siblings.

Like most, I delight in my shiny iPhone. However, I am a grown-up; I can deal with tiny smudges and fingerprints. In the four years that I have been an iPhone user, dozens of small children have played with it, one or two may even have dropped it. Fortunately, it is quite robust. In all the times that it has been dropped, it has never broken. (My great nephew managed to break the glass on my first iPhone but only after it was his own. He puts really ugly cases on his iPhone 4 for fear that he might drop it.) Moreover, I can afford to repair or replace it in the unlikely event that it is ever damaged.

It is true that my iPhone encapsulates sensitive data, applications, privileges, and capabilities. My biggest concern for these is that they might be lost. iTunes and MobileMe protect me against this. While I certainly would not want an adversary to have days or weeks with it, I do not worry about friends or family having hours of access to it.

Blink, it really is a toy, if not "just a toy." One can sympathize with the three out of four who are uncomfortable when someone else plays with their toys. I am sure that their siblings were really destructive.

Last edited:

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Only people that I know have $700 they wouldn't mind parting with. Although I guess you can get it fixed by Apple for $200 now.

Cash flow always pinches. In the last year I have had to replace a range, a refrigerator, and a garbage disposal. Dwarfs the pain of replacing an iPhone.

A little context may help. The appliances were more than 25 years old. I have not paid for an iPhone repair or replacement in four years. Even if I must pay for one at $700-, that is pretty good self insurance. Of course, it is in the same self-insurance pool as all my electronics, appliances, and mechanical on my car. So far, even with the appliances, I am way ahead. I could have bought three each with what I would have paid in warranty fees over 25 years.

I have given away two iPod Touches per month since Christmas. I own a little Apple stock that I bought at $6-. Sold most at $200-.

As I sit here, I am listening to Jim Cramer talk about stocks whose prices are in triple digits. The list includes Amazon, Apple, Berkshire-Hathaway, Chipotle, Google, Netflix, etc. He says, "Divide the price by 10 and buy ten shares."

When I was a lad, I used to buy donuts in a dime store that had a robot donut machine. Above the machine was a sign that featured Simple Simon on his way to the fair. The legend said, "As you wander on through life my boy, whatever be your goal, keep your idea upon the donut and not upon the hole."

The lesson for this thread is that, if fear that your toy might be broken diminishes your enjoyment of it, and you cannot cover the cashflow, then buy the Apple Care Protection Plan, relax, and enjoy.

SimplySkwared

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't mind letting others see it because I figure once they play with it, especially people that tend to bash on it. But I do tend to hover over them when they are messing with it.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
The lesson for this thread is that, if fear that your toy might be broken diminishes your enjoyment of it, and you cannot cover the cashflow, then buy the Apple Care Protection Plan, relax, and enjoy.

I don't have fear. I don't buy Apple Care b/c I'll just buy a new phone next year. I just don't want someone else to drop it and break it unless they can pay to replace it.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
i have nothing to hide but i still worry about scratches or drops. im alsot kinda OCD so i dont like when people open stuff and start changing the way my phone is normally.

audit

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
My wife sometimes uses mine to look up numbers that she doesn't have and needs for her iPhone. Other then that, nobody touches my phone.

Wingsgb

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Ild let anyone use/look at me phone apart from my other half :p and aslong as they dont go into my pics. Some things are just private, dnt want people in work having an idea to what i get up2 out of work.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW