PS3 or Xbox 360?

ptb6744#IM

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I currently have an Xbox 360 but I could easily sell it on ebay and then purchase a PS3 but I am looking for opinions here. The 360 I have has the new jasper chipset in it. I have a Sony gaming console since approx 1996 with the PS1. In 2001, I got a PS2 (had a xbox for a month or two, then a 360 for a few months there too) and then early last year I got a PS3 but ended up selling it around Holloween for a 360 because most of friends had one, but they never play online so I can't take advantage of Live. I only play sports games and occasionally some racing games. I hardly play any shooter games and I don't play at all the other gaming genres that are out there.

What system would you recommend for me?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
If you don't play online and you want a bluray player then go PS3. If you care more so about more quality games, go with the Xbox. To me the PS3 has been a utter disappointment in terms of good games. Just my opinion.

And if you do go Xbox start playing online and build up your friends list. There are a bunch of us on this forum that are on there.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
I really think it depends on what you play. My girlfriend's brother and dad both have PS3s, my little brother has both, and he never really touches the PS3 and prefers his XBox 360.

For me, we don't have either I just borrow my brother's because I don't have enough time to ever play it to justify spending that kind of money - but if I were to buy one, I'd most likely go w/ an Xbox360, because there are more games for the 360 that I will actually play. Just figure out what games you enjoy the most, and go from there.

Nellybelly333

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
I would go with a 360. The online experience is unmatched and the quality and number of hit games is far beyond PS3.

What is everyones gamertags? What games is everyone playing?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I would go with a 360. The online experience is unmatched and the quality and number of hit games is far beyond PS3.

What is everyones gamertags? What games is everyone playing?

I could of swore I started a thread with gamer tags in it a while ago and it never took off. After searching for it I can't seem to fine it. I'll start another thread just for Xbox Live Gamer Tags and post a link here.

And come May 19th, I'll be playing UFC Undisputed 2009...

http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/showthread.php?p=1475060#post1475060

Last edited:

Entertainment72

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I will go with the PS3, one reason it will survive past 6 months. It is also a next generation blu ray player. You like games try MLB The Show, it blows away any 360 sports games out of the water. Racing, try Grand Turismo.

Try these
Uncharted,
Killzone 2
Metal Gear Solid
Little Big Planet just to name a few.

The PS3 hardware is just superior in every way, web browser, built in wifi, blu-ray player which is the BIGGEST thing and the #1 reason I bought mine. You also can connect your pc and listen to all music, videos and photos straight from your computer wirelessly.

360 has more games because well it's been out for over a year longer than the PS3. 360 has more users for exactly the same reason. We also DO NOT want to talk hardware quality as you will get lucky if your 360 lasts for more than a year.

PS3 is an excellent blu ray player, the main reason blu ray defeated HD DVD. It decodes all high def audio codecs and it gets constant new features effortlessly.

If you just want to choose from 10,000 video games and its all you do definately a 360. If you want a more well rounded media center hub the PS3 no doubt.

If you ever do get a PS3 switching out the hard drive for lets say a 500gb one is easy money as well and Sony shows you how to on their website.

What games is everyone thinking the 360 has thats so much better than the PS3, Gears? Co-Op, how many people can play online with Gears? 60+ like Resistance?

Last edited:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I'll chime in here. It depends on many things really. Here are what gravitate me to the Xbox 360.

1. Online experience - It may cost $50/ year but it completely destroys Sony's online services. I don't see how anyone can even argue it. Their "Home" servive is a snooze fest and barely anyone ever has a mic in the games.

2. Games - I've never much cared for Sony franchises and most of their games (IMO). But this generation it seems to be even more of an issue. The only one I used to drool over was GTA, but now it's on Xbox and has exclusive DLC. There are also a lot of quality Xbox 360 games out there from many developers. I could probably pick out a few exclusive PS3 titles but I know many more Xbox ones, and the best games from third parties are on both systems anyway.

3. What do your friends play? - The vast majority of my friends play online with the Xbox. If you have lots of friends on Xbox as well you might want to stay unless you want to play by yourself or with random people all the time.
Halo, CoD, GTA, Burnout, Gears of War all great fun online.

Those are the main reasons why my Xbox is used pretty much every day and my PS3 and Wii collect dust.

Edit:
4. Controller - Never liked the Playtation controller all the way back to the PS1, still don't. Too small, no ergonomics, and loose analog sticks that put your thumbs in an awkward position. Another reason why I can't play my PS3 very long, fingers get fatigued.

Last edited:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I will go with the PS3, one reason it will survive past 6 months. It is also a next generation blu ray player. You like games try MLB The Show, it blows away any 360 sports games out of the water. Racing, try Grand Turismo.

Try these
Uncharted,
Killzone 2
Metal Gear Solid
Little Big Planet just to name a few.

The PS3 hardware is just superior in every way, web browser, built in wifi, blu-ray player which is the BIGGEST thing and the #1 reason I bought mine. You also can connect your pc and listen to all music, videos and photos straight from your computer wirelessly.

360 has more games because well it's been out for over a year longer than the PS3. 360 has more users for exactly the same reason. We also DO NOT want to talk hardware quality as you will get lucky if your 360 lasts for more than a year.

PS3 is an excellent blu ray player, the main reason blu ray defeated HD DVD. It decodes all high def audio codecs and it gets constant new features effortlessly.

If you just want to choose from 10,000 video games and its all you do definately a 360. If you want a more well rounded media center hub the PS3 no doubt.

If you ever do get a PS3 switching out the hard drive for lets say a 500gb one is easy money as well and Sony shows you how to on their website.

What games is everyone thinking the 360 has thats so much better than the PS3, Gears? Co-Op, how many people can play online with Gears? 60+ like Resistance?

Uh the Xbox 360 is a full windows media center extender. You can stream anything to the 360 from your PC with no extra software. The only thing it is missing is Blu-ray and being able to put stuff on the HDD.

Entertainment72

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
We all have valid points, basically it comes down to is are you into blu ray movies and having a medium where developers can take advantage of the massive size a blu ray game can have as oppose to a dvd ala the 360.

I agree that I would go with what your friends play on the most. I myself picked the PS3 due to its reliability and ability to watch blu ray movies which is phenomenal if you haven't watched one.

Just as another poster mentioned the better games are on both systems anyways so it's a win win.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
We all have valid points, basically it comes down to is are you into blu ray movies and having a medium where developers can take advantage of the massive size a blu ray game can have as oppose to a dvd ala the 360.

I agree that I would go with what your friends play on the most. I myself picked the PS3 due to its reliability and ability to watch blu ray movies which is phenomenal if you haven't watched one.

Just as another poster mentioned the better games are on both systems anyways so it's a win win.

Few things, lets look at the sales numbers, they don't lie. Sony has been trying to play catch up since day one.

There is not a single game that takes full advantage of Blu Ray discs on the PS3... and chances of that happening before another new system is out is slim to none. And if you want to get real nit picky games on both systems usually look better graphically on the 360... fact. Why is that? Because developers are more comfortable with the Xbox and the games get ported so to speak to the PS3.

Yeah, you can complain about the RROD all you want but in the end if you are a pure gamer the only system to get is an Xbox 360. Now if you are in the market for a Blu Ray player, why not pick up a PS3. As for me I have a stand alone Blu Ray player, no need for a PS3.

Entertainment72

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Few things, lets look at the sales numbers, they don't lie. Sony has been trying to play catch up since day one.

There is not a single game that takes full advantage of Blu Ray discs on the PS3... and chances of that happening before another new system is out is slim to none. And if you want to get real nit picky games on both systems usually look better graphically on the 360... fact. Why is that? Because developers are more comfortable with the Xbox and the games get ported so to speak to the PS3.

Yeah, you can complain about the RROD all you want but in the end if you are a pure gamer the only system to get is an Xbox 360. Now if you are in the market for a Blu Ray player, why not pick up a PS3. As for me I have a stand alone Blu Ray player, no need for a PS3.

Let Microsoft stop selling the 360 for the next 1+ or so years and we'll take a look at the numbers again.

It depends on your definition of "full" but MGS4 takes advantage of the extra disc space, I can find some others that would normally be much much more than one DVD.

It is also not FACT that games look better on the 360, that is purely subjective and you know it so it can't be factual.

As far as blu ray no standalone out can match the full capabilites of the PS3. PS3 is by any measure an all in one mega media device, and the RROD does count for A LOT. Why would you buy anything you knew would break in the near future? Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

I crack up to no end when people compare sales numbers, the 360 has had over a year to build up it's base. Most people like playing with friends so it only makes sense one would buy the console their friends only have.

The main reason the 360 outsells monthly the PS3 is because of just that, most people want to play with their friends of which happen to already have a 360.

The only true way to see which console would have sold more if they were both release the same day. As far as the Wii I believe that is geared towards a completely different demographic and thus sell so many.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Let Microsoft stop selling the 360 for the next 1+ or so years and we'll take a look at the numbers again.

It depends on your definition of "full" but MGS4 takes advantage of the extra disc space, I can find some others that would normally be much much more than one DVD.

It is also not FACT that games look better on the 360, that is purely subjective and you know it so it can't be factual.

As far as blu ray no standalone out can match the full capabilites of the PS3. PS3 is by any measure an all in one mega media device, and the RROD does count for A LOT. Why would you buy anything you knew would break in the near future? Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

I crack up to no end when people compare sales numbers, the 360 has had over a year to build up it's base. Most people like playing with friends so it only makes sense one would buy the console their friends only have.

The main reason the 360 outsells monthly the PS3 is because of just that, most people want to play with their friends of which happen to already have a 360.

Or maybe it has something to do with better games? Yeah, I think so too. And so what if it had a year head start, who's problem is that? The Xbox has a good base of games and they keep pumping out good games. The PS3 has honestly not had a huge hit of a game. MGS? Please...

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Which games?

While I'm not a fan of all these games you can't deny they are bigger and more successful than any game on the PS3.

Let's see, here are a few just off the top of my head:

Gears of War
Gears of War 2
Halo
Bioshock

Good example of a game that was much better on the Xbox was fallout 3... if you can't see a difference in visual quality I don't know what to tell you.

It's been fun, back to work for now.

Entertainment72

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Or maybe it has something to do with better games? Yeah, I think so too. And so what if it had a year head start, who's problem is that? The Xbox has a good base of games and they keep pumping out good games. The PS3 has honestly not had a huge hit of a game. MGS? Please...

I'm not entirely defending Sony on the late lauch. Sony had much much bigger fish to fry and it was ingenious to implement blu ray into the PS3 thus causing the delay.
If it were not for the PS3 I honestly believe HD DVD would have won no doubt. Sony gave up a lot of their game console fan base in order to win a much much bigger base, the next generation video media.

Entertainment72

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
While I'm not a fan of all these games you can't deny they are bigger and more successful than any game on the PS3.

Let's see, here are a few just off the top of my head:

Gears of War
Gears of War 2
Halo
Bioshock

Are you judging these games simply by how many sold? Well of course they would sell more, how many more 360 consoles than the PS3? I judge a game on visuals, game play and much more than just how many units sold.

Uncharted
MLB The Show
Killzone 2
Little Big Planet
Resistance 1 and 2
are all just as comparable as the games you mentioned above as far as quality game play and visuals.

Going by sales numbers solely is just not a very good way to determine a games value.

Last edited: