Dooks, thanks for the long post, great tips.

I found a pair of Spy Zed goggles for $90 that looked nice and came with 2 lenses, but a bit more than I wanted to spend. I also saw some Oakleys for only $50, but they didn't fit quite right. Think I'm going to see if I can borrow a pair from a friend, but if not I might just have to suck it up and spend the money on the Zed pair that fit nicely.

Ok, everyone has mentioned this and I know I might sound dumb, but where do you keep all these drinks and food on you while you are skiing?
    on the goggles, make sure they fit correctly. I have a large head, and most of the goggles pressed on my nose making it harder breathe. Also get ones that the lens can be swapped out. And remeber that you may be putting them on over a helmet. Makes a big difference there.

As far as the drinks go, you can wear a camel back if you want. I never do it, but I see tons of people on the mountain with them.
    04-06-2009 11:12 PM
    You can rent lockers. Or you could even get a cheap little cooler and keep that in your car. I don't know how much lockers are at Vail, but I know when we went to Loveland, they were pretty reasonable. You're gonna wanna rent a locker anyway to keep your shoes in.
    lockers is a good idea. the parking situation in vail is crappy. its pretty far from the slopes, so you wouldnt want to be going back and forth.
    04-06-2009 11:16 PM
    SPY SOLDIER SNOW :: SPY OPTIC SOLDIER SNOW GOGGLES

Going with SOLDIER-WALLSTREET-PERSIMMON (2nd row, 1st col)
    04-07-2009 12:14 AM
    I'm jealous! I'll pick you up from the airport for a free lift ticket lol.
    04-07-2009 12:44 AM
    And remeber that you may be putting them on over a helmet. Makes a big difference there.
    I don't know how old you all are to tell you for sure which way to recommend, but most of the younger crowd is going with goggles under the helmet. Hat, then goggles, then helmet. The trend started about 2 years ago, I have no idea why, or how it started. But if you are under 25 years old or so and are trying to not look like a kook I would def recommend the goggles under the helmet approach.

I think it would be uncomfortable to wear a camelback, and in my opinion a camelback on the mountain immediately qualifies someone for super kook status. Not to mention if you are learning you are going to want as little weight to deal with on your person as possible.
    04-07-2009 01:35 AM
    I don't know how old you all are to tell you for sure which way to recommend, but most of the younger crowd is going with goggles under the helmet. Hat, then goggles, then helmet. The trend started about 2 years ago, I have no idea why, or how it started. But if you are under 25 years old or so and are trying to not look like a kook I would def recommend the goggles under the helmet approach.

I think it would be uncomfortable to wear a camelback, and in my opinion a camelback on the mountain immediately qualifies someone for super kook status. Not to mention if you are learning you are going to want as little weight to deal with on your person as possible.
    i'm 26... To be honest, I never tried wearing my goggles under my helmet. Even if I wanted to, I physically cant. Like I said, I have a large head (size 7 3/4 new era cap) and my helmet fits too snug. I have the XL RED Hi-Fi, and there isnt enough room. Plus, the helmet had an indentation and hook for the strap.

I agree about the camelback thing. Doesnt look pretty for sure. Maybe you could wear it under your jacket.

As far as looking cool on the mountain, I realize that I will never achieve that. I look like a bear sliding down the mountain on a piece of wood. I have "ski" pants and jacket that are from Burlington coat factory.

I would love to buy some new boarding clothes. Some of the stuff I have looked at is so much nicer than what I have. Problem is, I only go 1 week a year. For the other 51 weeks, it stays in a bin under my bed. Oh, and snowboard clothes are crazy expensive.
    04-07-2009 09:33 AM
    All valid points. Doesn't make sense to spend all your money of snowboarding stuff that only sees one week of use.

Pretty much all helmets have that helmet indent and hook, for whatever reason the snowboarding community just stopped using them, it's one of the many strange trends in snowboarding. Many people do still wear the goggles over the helmet, but the majority of kids and profesionals have made the switch to under.

No worries about not "looking cool" though, I think its cool as long as anyone is having a good time at the mountain.
    04-07-2009 11:14 AM
    All valid points. Doesn't make sense to spend all your money of snowboarding stuff that only sees one week of use.
    I originally thought this. But the rental fees in BC, CO are outrageous. Something like $120 per day. So my gear paid for itself this trip. If I get to use it for 4 years, I made out well.

Also, since I have my own gear, hopefully it will force me to go more often and use it more.
    04-07-2009 01:53 PM
    I originally thought this. But the rental fees in BC, CO are outrageous. Something like $120 per day. So my gear paid for itself this trip. If I get to use it for 4 years, I made out well.

Also, since I have my own gear, hopefully it will force me to go more often and use it more.
    Yeah I understand. I just meant it doesn't make sense for you to buy the newest outerwear and whatnot every year. I personally am afraid to even estimate what I spend on snowboarding stuff every year. I have stacks of boards and lots of outerwear options.

4 years might be a bit long to go without upgrading though. Board tech advances pretty rapidly. I buy a lot of boards and destroy them all within 2 years of buying them so wear and tear eats them up before technology gets too far ahead, but even with only casual use I would say you would benefit from newer technology. A top of the line board from 4 winters ago would feel like a unrefined piece of garbage if you held it up next to a middle of the road board from now.

Definitely go more often! It's hard to be much happier than you can be while spending a good day at the mountain with good friends.
    04-07-2009 03:31 PM
    Finally got up to running 1 mile, in uneven grass, in 8 mins 37 secs! A few more 3 1-mile runs per day I should be ready to take on the mountain
    04-08-2009 10:37 AM
    Finally got up to running 1 mile, in uneven grass, in 8 mins 37 secs! A few more 3 1-mile runs per day I should be ready to take on the mountain
    nice I swear I can walk a mile faster than running one I hate running.
    04-08-2009 02:57 PM
    nice I swear I can walk a mile faster than running one I hate running.
    Do you run on pavement or grass?

I find running in the grass is a bit harder because you don't that the equal and opposite reaction thing bouncing your feet off the ground and the fact that it's not smooth and harder to stay balanced. This probably burns more calories which is good since I'm trying to lose a few pounds and also a lot better on the knees.
    04-08-2009 03:00 PM
    Do you run on pavement or grass?
    I DON'T run I use an advanced motion trainer (extra cool elliptical) for cardio.
    04-08-2009 03:02 PM
    I DON'T run I use an advanced motion trainer (extra cool elliptical) for cardio.
    Ah... cool!

I'm just a cheap ******* I guess
    04-08-2009 03:03 PM
    Ah... cool!

I'm just a cheap ******* I guess
    So am I! But lucky for me, I got into a hella nice (i.e., expensive) school with an incredible gym and I don't have to pay a dime! In fact... they pay me!... not much though, lol.

You're not a cheap ******* though... you're going to Vail!!!!!!!
    04-08-2009 03:06 PM
    do some squats and lunges. get the correct muscles burning.
    04-08-2009 06:23 PM
    Went to one of my favorite local shops today to check out the end of season sale. Ended up buying another new board and bindings. Total retail price? $500+ Amount paid? $181. Loving it. Top of the line bindings and board for the list price of just the bindings.

For beginners and less committed riders, this is the time to buy for next year. This years products at deep discounts.

Get those squats going so you can power through sloppy jump landings! haha
    04-09-2009 12:09 AM
    Get those squats going so you can power through sloppy jump landings! haha
    By jump do you mean leaving the ground?

Think I'm going to try to keep both feet on the ground as much as possible.
    04-09-2009 09:59 AM
    By jump do you mean leaving the ground?

Think I'm going to try to keep both feet on the ground as much as possible.
    Haha, Good idea man! Your face would look just like that as well...
    04-09-2009 12:47 PM
    I absolutely meant leaving the ground! haha Though I doubt you will be doing too much of that (on purpose anyway!) your first week.

I got my exercise today, Hiked all the way up Hunter Mountain (the mountain is closed this week) to really earn my ride back down. Had a great time, and got some good park runs in after the full run.
    04-09-2009 10:47 PM
    I would guess by now you are in Vail and spent at least one day on snow? How is it?
    04-14-2009 10:28 AM
    Not yet. Leave tomorrow night from MIA to DEN. Should get in around 8p local time and hopefully get bags and car by 8.45p. Last time I went in October it was about 2 hours, but it's supposed snowing as I'm driving (10 Day Weather Forecast for Vail, CO - weather.com). I have never driven in the snow (big shock living in Miami, I know), but I did get some tips (shoveling and scraping windows ) from my friend on my January visit to Chicago.

Looks like I'm going at a perfect time though, snow Wednesday through Saturday. Still seems crazy to me though that it's 91F (94F feels) right now and tomorrow night it will in the low 20s.
    04-14-2009 02:21 PM
    Honestly, if it is indeed snowing when you get in, I recommend staying somewhere in Denver that first night and getting up early when there's light to drive to Vail. Driving on 70 while its snowing at night is terrible and SLOW and dangerous (especially without the experience).
    04-14-2009 04:13 PM
    Yeah, I'm a lifelong upstate NY resident with a Subaru who loves driving in the snow, but for someone who hasn't done it before definitely be careful. And even if you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle at your disposal remember that 4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop. Take it slow. Get hurt having fun on the slopes, not driving from the airport! haha
    04-14-2009 11:47 PM
    Yeah, we should be getting an AWD rental. I'm a really awesome driver and drove an AWD eclipse from like 18 to 25 so I know about the stopping thing, but thats why I would always downshift along with breaking which I won't be able to do with an automatic SUV rental.

Thanks for the warnings though, I will be extra careful.
    04-14-2009 11:51 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD