unaware ebay buyer returns iphone

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
I need your opinion.

I sold an iphone on ebay. Im not sure what the OS version was, prolly 2.1. I stated in the listing that I would accept returns if there were any problems with the phone.The buyer returned the phone to me because she could not restore her last saved backup from her previous iphone. She asked for a full refund and I told her since there was nothing wrong with the phone and all she had to do was change the new iphone software to match the version of her backup that I would give her a refund minus the re listing and paypal fees.

The issue is that paypal and ebay of course keep their percentage which is a combined total of 45 dollars in thies case. My argument is why should I give the buyer 45 dollars I didn't even get on top of the 405 that I did get just because her backup was in a different version I she failed to ask me or apple for a little info to allow the sync. I feel the phone was unjustifiable returned since the buyer didn't contact me with her question after I had already offered assistance before she even received the phone. I alway let buyers know that I am happy to help with phone questions.

What should I do? Refund the 405 that I actually received on the phone or refund the 450 full price?

Stuartino

Oct 27, 2008
Visit site
My opinion is just give 405. There was nothing wrong with the phone. I sometimes buy stuff from eBay that i am not sure about, if I am wrong, I would never try and return it to the original seller because I was wrong. I just put it back on eBay and take a loss.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
For what it's worth, I don't think you have to refund anything. You stated you will refund if there is anything wrong with the phone. Technically there is nothing wrong with the phone. In my mind, just because she cannot restore a backup from a previous phone does not she has the right to return the phone.

Beloved

May 17, 2009
Visit site
I am with ya'll. Personally, I would never ask for a refund if the product was in good working order. I would just find a work around or start over.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
The phone is in perfect working order. It's not your fault that she doesn't know what she's doing and you shouldn't feel obligated to accept the return let alone take a $45 loss.