What other gaming devices to you own? How does the Switch compare?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I don’t have any, but my sons have the following:

XBOX 360
PS4
PS3
XBOX
Wii

Momobeawesome

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I just have a PS4 and I like it a lot. I don't have a switch but really want one, so badly! Hee hee.

I think the PS4 and Nintendo switch are just completely different systems and have very little similarities. The switch can't compare to the graphics of the PS4 and arguably can't compare to the hardware either. But the focus of Nintendo has never been on either of these things. Nintendo has always been a pioneer, exploring two things:

1. How can we engage non gamers and invite them to play?

And 2. (Answering their own question)
We do that by creating a new experiences around how people play games! What can that look like?

We saw this with the Wii's system, introducing motion controls, and we saw this again with Wii U system, offering a table control! And we are seeing it agin with the switch!

The switch is the first and only console that offers handheld and counsel gaming in one unit! Nintendo doesn't focus on graphics and speedy/flashy hardware because they are more concerned with the experience of the counsel itself. What can we offer that no ones else has been able to? What makes us different? Nintendo in my eyes, has always been the odd one out, of the three major counsel giants. Doing stuff that is just weird and different But that's what makes them so special and magical! They aren't afraid of what people think, they take chances and risks....

Anyway all that to say that, PS4 is a great system if your looking for beautiful graphic and impressive hardware

Nintendo switch is a great system if are looking for a counsel that will give you a different experience on how you play games!

thethriftyman

Jul 29, 2017
Visit site
I just have a PS4 and I like it a lot. I don't have a switch but really want one, so badly! Hee hee.

I think the PS4 and Nintendo switch are just completely different systems and have very little similarities. The switch can't compare to the graphics of the PS4 and arguably can't compare to the hardware either. But the focus of Nintendo has never been on either of these things. Nintendo has always been a pioneer, exploring two things:

1. How can we engage non gamers and invite them to play?

And 2. (Answering their own question)
We do that by creating a new experiences around how people play games! What can that look like?

We saw this with the Wii's system, introducing motion controls, and we saw this again with Wii U system, offering a table control! And we are seeing it agin with the switch!

The switch is the first and only console that offers handheld and counsel gaming in one unit! Nintendo doesn't focus on graphics and speedy/flashy hardware because they are more concerned with the experience of the counsel itself. What can we offer that no ones else has been able to? What makes us different? Nintendo in my eyes, has always been the odd one out, of the three major counsel giants. Doing stuff that is just weird and different But that's what makes them so special and magical! They aren't afraid of what people think, they take chances and risks....

Anyway all that to say that, PS4 is a great system if your looking for beautiful graphic and impressive hardware

Nintendo switch is a great system if are looking for a counsel that will give you a different experience on how you play games!

Nintendo is such an odd duck but that's why I love them. Everyone else is arguing over themselves about who has the more powerful system, but then Nintendo is like "yes, but is the controller shaped like a remote that you can bowl with? Can we add more screens? Can you weigh yourself with it? Check your pulse? Is there a mini-game that involves milking a cow- I think that would be a real hit at parties."

Momobeawesome

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Nintendo is such an odd duck but that's why I love them. Everyone else is arguing over themselves about who has the more powerful system, but then Nintendo is like "yes, but is the controller shaped like a remote that you can bowl with? Can we add more screens? Can you weigh yourself with it? Check your pulse? Is there a mini-game that involves milking a cow- I think that would be a real hit at parties."

In other words, Nintendo is asking all the right questions ! Haha! When a compay asks " Is there a mini game that inovles milkng a cow?" Well, that's compay you need to put your money behind! Hehe

Centerion

May 20, 2017
Visit site
I just have a 2DS, but my brother has a Switch, WiiU, Wii Mini, 3DS, 3DS XL, and New 3DS XL. I've played on every one of those, and the switch feels in comparison to the WiiU more solid. Everything feels well put together, whether you are talking about the software, games, or hardware.

The Wii is a completely different animal from the Switch in terms of the experience. I have to say that I'm relieved I don't have to use motion controls to get around the interface! In terms of software, the Switch FEELS and looks modern and the Wii... does not. As far as graphics go, there is such an improvement I find it hard to compare the Wii's graphics to the Switch's! Not having handled the normal Wii hardware vs the slightly more modern Wii Mini, I can't really say much except that again, the Switch feels much more solid and well built.

Versus the 3DS family, I would say that the Switch feels like the older brother. Games are more advanced graphically with much less pixelation noticable, the software is more refined in how you get to settings and games as well as in general, and the OS is just speedy no matter which of the 3DS's you come from. The feel in the hand of the Switch is great for me as well. (Yes, I'm a firm lover of the JoyCons!) The 3DS's always felt a little too rectangular and small for me, which is why I love my 2DS with its amazing ergonomics.

bubble100100

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks Centrion, that was a very in depth answer! Exactly what I was looking for. Also somewhat gives me more to backup my desire for a 2ds as well. I mean, they're so cheap, and people always say they have good ergonomics.

igobythisname

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
Very hard to say, as I don't have a Nintendo Switch. Hopefully, if I win the latest iMore contest, I'll have one and will be able to provide a more informed answer to OP's question! I have a PS3, PS4, and we have a Wii at my parent's house that has not been connected for a few years now. The PS4 ROCKS! Games, gameplay, graphics, you name it, it rocks! I know my biggest peeve w/the Wii was the TERRIBLE graphics. I have not seen anything related to the Switch other than the logo and I think the console? controller? I hope Nintendo has stepped it up and games are now in HD; they still looked 8-bit on the Wii!

bubble100100

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Very hard to say, as I don't have a Nintendo Switch. Hopefully, if I win the latest iMore contest, I'll have one and will be able to provide a more informed answer to OP's question! I have a PS3, PS4, and we have a Wii at my parent's house that has not been connected for a few years now. The PS4 ROCKS! Games, gameplay, graphics, you name it, it rocks! I know my biggest peeve w/the Wii was the TERRIBLE graphics. I have not seen anything related to the Switch other than the logo and I think the console? controller? I hope Nintendo has stepped it up and games are now in HD; they still looked 8-bit on the Wii!

Yeah, the Switch can do up to 1080p (Zelda's the only game offhand that's 900p), so they've definitely stepped it up. It's not PS4 level, but then again it's a fraction of the size and weight of the PS4 and you can take it anywhere, so it's understandable.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
PS3
Wii
Switch

I'm not a gamer but the Wii and PS3 have been largely ignored since we got the Switch. Splatoon 2 is the preferred game. There's a lot of paint splattering going on in my house.

fury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I have an Xbox 360, an iPhone, and a Switch. I have way more games on the 360 (I have an Xbox Live Gold subscription, they keep handing out games a couple times a month) and iPhone, but they’ve all been collecting dust for the last 5 months as Zelda on the Switch took over my life. Only recently did I start getting back into one of my old favorites on the iPhone. But still, just picked up Mario Kart 8 for Switch, so...

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Wii
Xbox 360
PS4
Switch

Traded the Xbox 360 and games towards the Switch steering wheels and some games. May trade the Wii too but my son couldn't figure out that the Wii wouldn't get used much. ;)

PS4 stays because of the type of games on it that I like to play, but the Switch is fun, too, because there's more I can play with him or that we can all play together. The Wii may disappear one night for another game or two!

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Just recently added the switch to complete my trio.

Xbox one S
PS4
Switxh

At first I didn't think I would like the switch but it has grown on me and I find my self playing that more often I'm the evenings when nothing is on tv. As for comparing it to consoles like the ps4 and xbox, I dknt believe that is a fair comparison, should be compared more to someone who has a psp.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro