Would you buy a Pro Dock for the existing Switch that upscales the 1080 video to 4K?

Elyjr

Mar 6, 2017
Visit site
Say in a year or two would you buy a Pro Dock for the existing Switch that upscales the 1080 video to 4K.
Sure it wouldn't be true 4k, but still an improvement.
The Pro dock would also an Ethernet port, and 4x USB 3.0 ports /w USB storage support for huge console games.
Make it $99-$149 bucks.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: Switch Pro Dock Suggestion

i would say for right now, I'm happy with 720p on the console and 1080p on the TV. It's clear enough for me to enjoy while playing Zelda, there doesn't seem to be an urge for the resolution to be increased. Seems find the way it is. :)

In 2 years time, maybe 4K will have become more popular and then it would be nice but maybe 1080p HDR finds more popularity. All depends on what the market wants. I'm happy either way. 4K is great but definitely requires a lot of extra power and also, 4K TVs probably still won't be freely available in most people's houses. Just us tech enthusiasts :D

justsuf

Mar 7, 2017
Visit site

I don't expect 4K or HDR support to arrive on the Switch or the Switch Pro or the Switch S. Nintendo seems to lag everyone by 5 years or more. Although it offered HDTV connections on its consoles, none of its games were HD quality.

Chemy JMHT

VR ******
Sep 9, 2016
Visit site

Say in a year or two would you buy a Pro Dock for the existing Switch that upscales the 1080 video to 4K.
Sure it wouldn't be true 4k, but still an improvement.
The Pro dock would also an Ethernet port, and 4x USB 3.0 ports /w USB storage support for huge console games.
Make it $99-$149 bucks.

Those thing would be good, it's hard but in the subject of dreaming about it, a think I will love to see and I said a lot was a total backward compatibility.

sittms1985

Mar 6, 2017
Visit site

I probably would buy that, if it were under $100. $149 seems a little too high in my personal opinion.

Chemy JMHT

VR ******
Sep 9, 2016
Visit site

Yesterday I was watching some videos of a reviewer who was in Nintendo Headquarters and he said that looks like in fact Nintendo is working in something like a Pro Dock but he wasn't totally sure, so, so far it's just a rumor.

justsuf

Mar 7, 2017
Visit site

It's been confirmed in several teardowns that the Switch uses a Tegra X1 processor and the X1 specs say that the X1 supports 4K video. The questions are if the Switch will let the X1 run at a high enough clock speed and whether the chips supporting the X1 (including the USB 3.0 hub) in the Switch will allow the Switch to produce and stream 4K video when connected to a "Pro Dock". If the answers are yes, then the game engines will also need upgrades like what happened with games on the PS4 Pro.

Chemy JMHT

VR ******
Sep 9, 2016
Visit site

Hey what about a pro Joy Cons?

I heard a lot about being too small, maybe something a little bit bigger could help.

I saw this today too
71iHG8vzEYL._SL1500_.jpg

Greek Geek

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site

Hey what about a pro Joy Cons?

I heard a lot about being too small, maybe something a little bit bigger could help.

I saw this today too http://www.zeldainformer.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/71iHG8vzEYL._SL1500_.jpg

Not sure what they're like for size, as I've never used any of these yet. Would be good to hear back from people who have actually used them though, as there are quite a few types of these out there, and they're all different shapes. So it's hard to know without actually using one, which would be comfortable, and which were just designed on a whim. From a looks point of view, I do prefer the style you've showed me here in the photo, as it has the rim around the joycon that hides the massive gaping hole around the joycon that some of the designs have. But jury's still out for me on these ones though, and I'd say while they'd make a noce cheap alternative to the pro-controller, you wouldn't be able to use them in all instances that a pro controller can. (mainly because when only using one joycon, you only have two shoulder buttons at the top, so you could only really use it on games that were designed to be played like that). -Snipperclips and Mariokart would work for example (as both those games can be played with only one joycon), but for Zelda and alot of others you wouldn't be able to do it, as it would be missing important button functionality by not having the ZL and ZR buttons in that mode. So something worth bearing in mind. But these would totally work as a nice cheap alternative to a pro controller for any of the games where you didn't need those buttons though. Anybody know of any other games that you can play with just one joycon?

May 16, 2017
Visit site

Higher resolution is always nice, but I'm pretty content with the graphics quality of my Switch when attached to my 4K HDR TV.

That said, would I pay for higher resolution if I could get it by purchasing a Nintendo-branded dock instead of having to buy a whole new console? Probably. Depends on when it becomes available and how much it costs. (Nit-picky, minor little details, those....)

GlassHasMass

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
I honestly can't tell the difference between 1080 and 4K....to me it seems like a marketing scam to convince us we need something that's "better"

Tech companies should focus on making internet and wifi better before they worry about resolution

Mabekle

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I would not buy one. Like a few other users have already posted, I don't think Nintendo would even care to do it. They always lag behind in technology.

Secondly, I honestly don't think the games on the Switch would benefit from an upscale. These aren't the best looking games (I still love them though, I don't generally care about graphics) so to upscale them to 4k would do diddly squat for a games presentation. Nintendo has always relied on artstyle anyways, so yea I would not buy a new dock for that reason.

Robert Newman4

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
I don't think resolution is that important. So long as the frames refresh quickly and smoothly. Games need to be fast and 4K resolution could slow things down.

IvanKaramazov

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
4K video might be possible with such a thing, as the chip is powerful enough. Even with active cooling in the dock, however, I don't think you'd get enough horsepower for decent 4K upscale of games without a dedicated gpu in the dock, and at that point the cost would begin to skyrocket. Even the Xbox One X and PS4 pro struggle to provide true, high frame rate 4K, and Nintendo has never tried to compete on the graphics front.

Centerion

May 20, 2017
Visit site
As far as the question goes, at the moment, no I wouldn't because I don't have a 4K tv! Assuming I had spent all that money to buy a 4K tv, I'd say yes, definitely, because not only does that give me the res I'm paying for, it would also give me an extra dock (the original) for traveling!

splatune

Jul 23, 2017
Visit site
I honestly can't tell the difference between 1080 and 4K....to me it seems like a marketing scam to convince us we need something that's "better"
It's not a scam. Even the difference between 1080p and QHD is noticeable for a lot of us. I've only seen 4K content on a 4K display once before, but it was pretty astounding.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2