Nintendo Switch - Is the cost justified?

ceyvn

Mar 7, 2017
Visit site
It'd probably take a year or two before Nintendo cuts its prices or lets retailers offer sale promotions if the past is any indication of what's to come. Everything is priced high now because Nintendo realizes it has the hardcore Nintendo fan locked up.

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
It'd probably take a year or two before Nintendo cuts its prices or lets retailers offer sale promotions if the past is any indication of what's to come. Everything is priced high now because Nintendo realizes it has the hardcore Nintendo fan locked up.

Probably not 2 years... But one year, yeah, but I agree.

dpouidp

Mar 6, 2017
Visit site
Nintendo is reportedly doubling its production of the Switch due to excellent release week sales. Manufacturing and assembly lines are ramping up!

Helo Fury

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
I think that the price is justified, but the console should come with 1-2-Switch. It is like the Wii Sports of the system and should be free.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion, no. No the Nintendo Switch is not worth $299, when I can go out and get the Xbox One S, bundled with a game, for $249 pretty easily... which has way more power under the hood, and is a more full featured entertainment system. With music and movie streaming apps like Vudu, Netflix, Crackle, Groove Music, Amazon Video, etc etc etc... and support for 4K UHD streaming and a built in 4K UHD Blu Ray player... not to mention we all know how many big mainstream 3rd party games make their way on to Nintendo consoles, compared to Xbox and PlayStation. Plus, XboxLive and Xbox Play Anywhere are huge ecosystem advantages.

The only benefits of the Switch to me, are Nintendo exclusives, and the ability to go somewhat "portable."

Greek Geek

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Definitely agree with pkcable. :) The Nintendo switch has huge potential and i think the Devs know that which is why iMore listed about 20 games that are on their way out of the 80 coming. :) So game selection won't be a problem in about a years time. For now, patience is key.

With regards to price. I think that comes down to personal preference and how much you love it. For me, if you use something on a daily basis then its worth the money because it bring happiness t your life often. I cant take my PS4 Pro on the road with me but with the Switch i can, which i love. So I'm happy to pay the $299 for that ability. I do wish the games were a little cheaper though.

Yeah I know what you mean. Personally 300 bucks for the switch is exactly what I expected it to be, but 60 bucks for the most wanted games though was what made me a little mad at first. Of course, for games like Zelda and Mario, I'd pay it no matter how much the ransom. But for lesser quality games though, I think it's a bit much. (They tried it on with street-fighter for example at first, but I can see that they've learned their lesson and the price has now come down to 35 bucks for that one, so that's much more like what I feel most games should be priced at. 60 bucks even when they're good games does start to feel a little exploitative! So hopefully the 60 buck pricing is the exception and not the rule, as if they keep that up, I'll just buy less games but play them longer. So far though, the games are so big it's very easy to do. Countless enjoyable hours of Zelda so far, and still nowhere near finished! So definitely getting my money's worth out of that one so far. ;) I've ordered Mariokart 8 Deluxe too, which is coming in a few weeks, but that one was only 49 bucks, so I'll let them off for that one! Either way though still plenty to do, so if you work it out in terms of hours of play versus how much they cost, it works out about right in the end.

anon(99259)

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I think whether or not it is justified is up to the user (obvious answer, I know). A gamer friend of mine had a great explanation to how he determined value... based on the number of hours of enjoyment he got from something. For example, you pay $10 for a 2 hour movie... so when you add up all of the hours of play you get from a system - especially one that is portable and performs equally well when docked or on the go - I think you have a clear value proposition winner on your hands with the Switch. To each their own, but that justification rings true with me. I think the other factor here is how much you love the Nintendo game franchises. Sure,the Switch will get third party support... but many of the best Nintendo system games are made by Nintendo. I personally enjoy a lot of their games, so that also adds to the value for me!

wplantz

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I would say it's totally worth it. Gaming on the TV + on the go + Mario/Zelda/other Nintendo classic franchises = WIN

dfloyyd

May 14, 2017
Visit site
Personally, I love Nintendo and all the characters that inhabit it's world. It's been so long since I played a Mario brothers game, and when Mario Run came to iOS, I fell in love again and can't wait to get into some new games.

orieswag

May 15, 2017
Visit site
I wouldn't mind dishing out $300 for the Switch, but my only concern is about how much use we'd get out of it. I haven't been able to get my hands on one yet (everyone we know is more into PS4), so it's hard to make that decision.

Do you guys know: is there a wide range of games for kids AND adults? The titles I currently see look like they're geared for a more general audience, but I wonder if we'll see a wider range of titles come out in the following year. I don't want to buy it if my husband is just going to beat Legend of Zelda and then be done with it.

lepetitoiseau

Nov 10, 2016
Visit site
I'm not completely sold yet, especially because it seems like it doesn't have a lot of game options. I plan on waiting a year or two before I give it a try.

scampi

May 5, 2012
Visit site
It's a little bit expensive compared to the other consoles. But it's worth the unique fun we have with the Nintendo system. I also still enjoy the original Wii.

Chester Baker

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Man... I just don't know... If I'm going to mobile game, I really like my iPhone, but I'm more of an at home console gamer.... My big comfy chair... I don't know that I'd get a ton of use out of the portability of the Switch. Don't get me wrong, if I had one, I think I'd find some time to play Zelda on it... That's the thing I'd be most excited about.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro