No 1080?

ThomasLFT

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Good day guys,

I do not have the switch just yet.
Actualy I need to buy two for my kids and just have not found them online now where yet. Any tips are apreshiated.

So am I right to understand the switch doesn't support 1080 it does like 980 or something.
I mean I understand about being behind the curve a bit with 4k but one would expect 1080 for tv.

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
The Switch supports **up to** 1080p thru the dock.

Some games (Zelda BotW) will output at a lower resolution. This is because they are more demanding and lowering the screen resolution will have better performance.

This is not new to the Switch, some Xbox games will do the same thing.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
So am I right to understand the switch doesn't support 1080 it does like 980 or something.

Thanks for the question @ThomasLFT,

On Nintendo's website they state that it supports up to 1080p which means some games will be a little lower and possibly upscaled to 1080 to fit the TV while others pay render at 1080p :)
"Up to 1080p via HDMI in TV mode"

I mean I understand about being behind the curve a bit with 4k but one would expect 1080 for tv.

It definitely would have been nice for the screen to be 1080p but that would have made battery life worse. I'm personally ok with 720p. Especially since the games are not exactly designed to be run on a GTX 1080 TI and probably would look any better if the resolution was higher.

Still a great console for kids and would definitely recommend it.

josepilot81

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
I really feel that 1080 is not necessary in such a small screen. Maybe in the big one. But the nature of the Nintendo games are totally different than other system games like GTA or COD that really need that resolution to enjoy and be sumerge on it.

But is just my appreciation.

Kind regards!

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I really feel that 1080 is not necessary in such a small screen. Maybe in the big one. But the nature of the Nintendo games are totally different than other system games like GTA or COD that really need that resolution to enjoy and be sumerge on it.

But is just my appreciation.

Kind regards!
I agree. On such a small screen the difference is not noticeable. But when outputting to a TV...

justsuf

Mar 7, 2017
Visit site
I wonder what developers are making the native resolution of Switch games. Are they using 720p and letting the docked Switch upscale? Are they using 1080 (or 980 or whatever) and downscaling?

Centerion

May 20, 2017
Visit site
My brother owns a Switch, so that's where I'm getting all of my experiences with it.

The switch runs games at 720p on the screen when it is being played undocked, and it looks honestly fine. I didn't think about it, and unless you are looking REALLY closely, you won't notice any pixelation.

When docked, the switch will "switch" almost instantaneously to natively run games at 1080p. No upscaling here! If anything, the content is being "downscaled" when undocked. There are times when the switch will drop to 720p when docked, but only when under an intensive load, such as four player local multiplayer in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. It shouldn't happen that often though.

Hope this helps people!

Centerion

May 20, 2017
Visit site
To clarify, you should never really see 720p when docked if you only play single-player titles. Unless of course some dev comes along and REALLY pushes the hardware to it's limits!

wrldwzrd89

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
1080p, eh? I thought this thread was about the lack of a 1080 Snowboarding title. Anyway... the Switch has the interesting ability to not ALWAYS be forced to 720p in its dock. Case in point: The Bomberman game (I forget its name) was updated to run at 540p in exchange for higher frame rates.

Twixman

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. Like said already here, the console supports it but just like when it comes to os4 and Xbox One it's up to the developers to decide the maximum output resolution.

GlassHasMass

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
Honestly I prefer okay graphics with better frame rate because it looks better in my opinion than amazing graphics that have crappy frame rate.

Especially when you're playing online games.

Robert Newman4

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
Honestly I prefer okay graphics with better frame rate because it looks better in my opinion than amazing graphics that have crappy frame rate.

Especially when you're playing online games.

I hope Apple adds Promotion to the upcoming iPhones for this reason. Developpers are saying the AR experience is greatly enhanced with high frame rates. I believe an iPhone with Promotion would make a better VR headset than competing devices with higher resolution.

Apple could have just said "up to 120 hz" but they called the technology "Promotion", I believe they gave it a name, not because it makes text scroll smoother but because it's far more significant - it's what will make AR and VR experiences move realisticly.