I wonder if Nintendo is going to allow third party Joycons, or docks.

Elyjr

Mar 6, 2017
Visit site
I wonder if Nintendo is going to allow third party Joycons, or docks.
I would like to see a tabletop arcade stick dock for the Switch.
What third party side mount or dock configurations would you like to see on the Switch.

justsuf

Mar 7, 2017
Visit site
Re: Third Party JoyCons\Docks

A 3rd party pro controller seems possible but the joycons might not be possible if Nintendo patented the connection interface and the slider mechanism.

Greek Geek

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site

Very likely. Gaming consoles are pretty closed by nature. That doesn't mean they won't allow third party accessories though.

True! NES Classic wasn't exactly open source either, but still tonnes of people made spare controllers though anyway. I managed to get some really good controller extension cables from the place I got most of my 3rd party switch stuff from. Got my spare controllers from a completely different company, and neither of them are officially licensed 3rd parties, but the quality was very good.

I'd imagine this would be harder to do on the Switch though, as NES Classic was a more basic controller, but the JoyCons and Pro Controllers that the switch use have alot of really special technology inside them that would be much harder for 3rd parties to mimic well. (HD Rumble, 3D Motion Controls, amiibo functionality, etc.)
Shame really, given how expensive the official ones are. But for the Switch I think I'll still stick to only using proper Nintendo ones.

But for my NES Classic, these are the ones I got that I can vouch for having worked well..
For the Extension Cable I got the Orzly one...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2GAQVX?tag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU2924582
While they do a controller aswell, theirs has black buttons, and has a sort of Tetris design on them, so I didn't get the orzly one for those, and went for one by someone name TwitFish instead, as theirs look identical to the actual NES Controller...
www.amazon.co.uk/NES-Classic-Controller-Old-Skool-Controllers/dp/B01MRLC2EH
I'll admit that the proper controllers do still feel a little bit better to play with, so hooking up the extension cable to the official one was the best way to play it. (But obviously I could on;y do that with the payer 1 controller, as the console on;y comes with one, and the official ones were all snapped up by scalpers, so were really expensive), But even the 3rd party controller worked exceptionally well for what it was, and it was worth it due to having a long enough cable length to realistically play it than the measly 1M that the official ones do. (which I'll never be able to figure out why they did that) but at least there were good ways around it, and was alot less expensive to go 3rd party on those than what the scalpers were charging!

Let me know though if anyone tries any of the others though, (especially if you ever do find a perfect 3rd party one for the Switch) I'm not sure I would risk it for a 3rd party Switch controller yet until I hear from a few people who have physically guineapigged it for me. But real-time feedback is really useful, so be sure to pass your experiences on!

Cagdas Ozen

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site

8bitdo's all themed bluetooth controllers (NES, SNES, N64, NES with all buttons modern controllers has and etc.) are compatible with Nintendo Switch (you need to download and install the firmware update from their website) not something like a themed joy con but they're pretty good.

May 16, 2017
Visit site

Nyko is coming out with a small (but fully functional) Switch dock this fall. You can read about it here:
https://www.imore.com/whole-bunch-cool-nintendo-switch-accessories-are-coming-soon

There are also a bunch of third party mini-docks (available through Kickstarter or IndieGoGo funding) that have been reviewed on YouTube. The best review I've seen, thusfar, is from Spawn Wave--the one in which he does a tear down of one of them.

It would be nice if iMore could hunt up a bunch of these and do a comparative review. Hint, hint.

SteveO1128

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Someone beat me to it... I was going to say I could've swore I just an article this week about some third party docks - but it sounded like none of them truly compared to Nintendo's own.

Twixman

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I think allowing that type of market would have potential for greatness! Already when I first saw the switch I thought to myself how much fun I would have customising my handheld console as soon as the market opens up for this. Just like mobile cases and accessories or even apps.

GlassHasMass

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
I bet they with but I'd be careful buying cheaper off-brand stuff, it seems like it always glitzes for me.

It's worth it to just pay the extra $$$

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner