Folks,

Besides just being a great gaming console, the Nintendo Switch, can well SWITCH to tablet mode and be used as a tablet. Is anyone here planning on using it as their primary tablet and/or replacing an iPad or Android tablet? OR as your first tablet? Or are you strictly getting this for gaming?

Rich
    03-03-2017 10:15 AM
    Currently the Switch doesn't really have tablet functionality. It's pretty much strictly for gaming. No YouTube, no Netflix, it doesn't even have a web browser. Maybe in a future firmware update...
    Darktroyd likes this.
    03-03-2017 10:37 AM
    Currently the Switch doesn't really have tablet functionality. It's pretty much strictly for gaming. No YouTube, no Netflix, it doesn't even have a web browser. Maybe in a future firmware update...
    Really? I thought it did. Perhaps in time!
    03-03-2017 11:35 AM
    I hope so too. While the Switch won't be as powerful as an iPad, having the option to use it as a tablet is a plus.
    03-06-2017 07:28 AM
    Hopefully with enough demand Nintendo will add those features. I'd think they wouldn't be too difficult to implement, anyway but I'm no programmer Even then I'd still use it as a secondary tablet, though.
    03-06-2017 07:56 AM
    Much like Sony did with the PSP they can label the tablet features "experimental" Or "beta"
    03-06-2017 08:49 AM
    That'd be sweet if Nintendo opened it up to other uses. I haven't played the Switch yet, but another screen that could be used as a standard would be handy.
    03-06-2017 02:25 PM
    It would be nice to get tablet functionality, but I only use tablets at home or airplane and already have an iPad that has a better screen/portability.
    03-09-2017 03:21 PM
    I don't see it to be ever become a tablet for general purposes. Probably casual videos and netlfix to the max.
    03-10-2017 09:41 PM
    Would be really cool if they could upgrade it to function as a tablet. Would make me far more likely to pull the trigger on a switch rather than waiting a few months or a year to wait for the price to drop.
    03-11-2017 01:11 AM
    That's a thing of "right now" but I think it will be able to work as a tablet, just not now.

Here about the Internet Browser it has:
    http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/2/147...ublic-hotspots

Also another services, I think the rush of getting on the stores was first than the rush of getting more content and functions.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/8/148...amazon-support
    03-12-2017 09:58 AM
    I'm pretty sure once it get more features I would used it tablet like.
    03-12-2017 11:07 AM
    I imagine they will do with the switch what they did with the nitendo 3DS. That did not get smartphone properties and kept its focus on gaming.
    Greek Geek likes this.
    03-12-2017 11:42 AM
    I'm reviving this thread. I understand they have added a browser, correct?
    05-12-2017 01:52 PM
    I hope they at least add Netflix/YouTube/etc and a web browser. The touchscreen is very good and should make a decent basic tablet. For now, it's pretty much just a gaming machine.
    05-13-2017 07:31 PM
    It's likely that someone will find a way to "jailbreak" it and unlock it's potential as a browser and tablet!!
    05-13-2017 09:09 PM
    I'm reviving this thread. I understand they have added a browser, correct?
    Not yet as far as I know, but you can use your laptop as a proxy server and then browse any website you want. Just need to use a program called 'fiddler' or something like that

Just search for a YouTube channel called 'Nintendolife' and one of his videos will have a link to a tutorial on how to do it. Honestly, I don't think it's worth it. Rather just keep the switch for gaming and use your phone to browse. If you have a S8 Plus, it's got a bigger screen as well 😃
    05-14-2017 12:38 AM
    Not yet as far as I know, but you can use your laptop as a proxy server and then browse any website you want. Just need to use a program called 'fiddler' or something like that

Just search for a YouTube channel called 'Nintendolife' and one of his videos will have a link to a tutorial on how to do it. Honestly, I don't think it's worth it. Rather just keep the switch for gaming and use your phone to browse. If you have a S8 Plus, it's got a bigger screen as well ������
    This may be what I heard about.
    05-14-2017 09:15 PM
    I hack everything I can, so i would definitely mod it if you can get the extra functionality. That'd be awesome
    05-15-2017 12:30 PM
    I think if Nintendo Switch offered Netflix, Amazon video, Spotify and a web browser it would be amazing and lock people into the console even more.
    05-15-2017 01:38 PM
    I defiantly am would never pay the price for just a gaming console, but as a table it's cheaper than an ipad!
    05-15-2017 08:47 PM
    I would, if they add on the app support needed to undertake this endeavor.
    05-16-2017 01:40 AM
    If the Switch is updated with the support needed, AND I manage to get one, sure. I'll probably use it primarily in portable mode anyhow.
    05-21-2017 02:25 PM
    That would be a brilliant idea for Nintendo to implement though like they'd make so much bank!
    05-21-2017 05:21 PM
    Oh, please! I think Nintendo was right on this one. If I want to surf the Net or watch movies, I'd rather do it on a real tablet--one considerably larger in size than the Switch. OTOH, my iPad doesn't hold a candle to the Switch when it comes to gaming.

I personally would rather Nintendo spend their time on making the best possible gaming experience rather than spreading themselves too thin trying to match the tablet functionality we already have on the tablets we already own and use daily. Lessee a really robust Virtual Console vs yet another web browser. Which would YOU prefer Nintendo focus on? I know my preference. YMMV.
    07-07-2017 07:55 PM
36 12