Anyone planning on using their Switch as a tablet?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Folks,

Besides just being a great gaming console, the Nintendo Switch, can well SWITCH to tablet mode and be used as a tablet. Is anyone here planning on using it as their primary tablet and/or replacing an iPad or Android tablet? OR as your first tablet? Or are you strictly getting this for gaming?

Rich

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Currently the Switch doesn't really have tablet functionality. It's pretty much strictly for gaming. No YouTube, no Netflix, it doesn't even have a web browser. Maybe in a future firmware update...

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Currently the Switch doesn't really have tablet functionality. It's pretty much strictly for gaming. No YouTube, no Netflix, it doesn't even have a web browser. Maybe in a future firmware update...

Really? I thought it did. :( Perhaps in time!

scionluna

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site

I hope so too. While the Switch won't be as powerful as an iPad, having the option to use it as a tablet is a plus.

Nintendonut

Mar 6, 2017
Visit site

Hopefully with enough demand Nintendo will add those features. I'd think they wouldn't be too difficult to implement, anyway but I'm no programmer :laughing: Even then I'd still use it as a secondary tablet, though.

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Much like Sony did with the PSP they can label the tablet features "experimental" Or "beta"

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
That'd be sweet if Nintendo opened it up to other uses. I haven't played the Switch yet, but another screen that could be used as a standard would be handy.

harrison31

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
It would be nice to get tablet functionality, but I only use tablets at home or airplane and already have an iPad that has a better screen/portability.

sittms1985

Mar 6, 2017
Visit site
Would be really cool if they could upgrade it to function as a tablet. Would make me far more likely to pull the trigger on a switch rather than waiting a few months or a year to wait for the price to drop.

Chemy JMHT

VR ******
Sep 9, 2016
Visit site

That's a thing of "right now" but I think it will be able to work as a tablet, just not now.

Here about the Internet Browser it has:
http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/2/14792262/nintendo-switch-internet-browse-public-hotspots

Also another services, I think the rush of getting on the stores was first than the rush of getting more content and functions.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/8/14852624/nintendo-switch-netflix-hulu-amazon-support

angusmatheson

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I imagine they will do with the switch what they did with the nitendo 3DS. That did not get smartphone properties and kept its focus on gaming.

wplantz

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I hope they at least add Netflix/YouTube/etc and a web browser. The touchscreen is very good and should make a decent basic tablet. For now, it's pretty much just a gaming machine.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm reviving this thread. I understand they have added a browser, correct?
Not yet as far as I know, but you can use your laptop as a proxy server and then browse any website you want. Just need to use a program called 'fiddler' or something like that :)

Just search for a YouTube channel called 'Nintendolife' and one of his videos will have a link to a tutorial on how to do it. Honestly, I don't think it's worth it. Rather just keep the switch for gaming and use your phone to browse. If you have a S8 Plus, it's got a bigger screen as well 😃

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Not yet as far as I know, but you can use your laptop as a proxy server and then browse any website you want. Just need to use a program called 'fiddler' or something like that :)

Just search for a YouTube channel called 'Nintendolife' and one of his videos will have a link to a tutorial on how to do it. Honestly, I don't think it's worth it. Rather just keep the switch for gaming and use your phone to browse. If you have a S8 Plus, it's got a bigger screen as well ������

This may be what I heard about.

patrickquirke

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I think if Nintendo Switch offered Netflix, Amazon video, Spotify and a web browser it would be amazing and lock people into the console even more.