What is the Nintendo Switch?

I

iMore Question

What is it anyway. Another console? Or is it like the old game boy, what is it??

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes. Think of it like how Sony wanted PlayStation and PSP to work together, pick up a game where you left off. Only Nintendo did it better. The handheld portion is the console, and it sits in a dock when you want it connected to a TV.

Greek Geek

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Yes. Think of it like how Sony wanted PlayStation and PSP to work together, pick up a game where you left off. Only Nintendo did it better. The handheld portion is the console, and it sits in a dock when you want it connected to a TV.
Yeah, pretty much! I've been looking forward to them doing something like this for a long time! Back when the WiiU came out I was kinda hoping that was what it would do, but was kinda disappointing that the tablet only worked with the home console, so was nothing more than a touch-screen control pad. However, the Switch tablet being a proper handheld console in its own right when you go out is exactly what it always should have done, and am really excited to finally have one in my hands in a few weeks!

I've gotta admit, the Switch is just hella cool! Which color did you go for in the end? (Only the grey one was up on amazon when I first got mine, but then I saw the neon red and blue version come out afterwards, but didn't dare to cancel it after seeing how quick they were selling out, in case i wound up not being able to get either!) Am not worried though, as the grey one still looks awesome, and I know I can always get the colored JoyCons separately later once they come back into stock. (I did miss out on those already, which is teaching me valuable lessons about hesitating, But not the end of the world, as I know they will come back eventually).

Steven_Jackson

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
A mobile platform (like a PSP) but can also be docked to be played on a large screen. Neat idea. Big screen games at home, then undock and play on the go!

Carjackd

Trusted Member
Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Label it however you want , but buy it now if the kids are looking for it this Christmas. It's going to be a tough one to get. It's touch enough to get right now

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Label it however you want , but buy it now if the kids are looking for it this Christmas. It's going to be a tough one to get. It's touch enough to get right now
Agreed, been hearing a couple reports about low stock. Not sure which is harder to get. A Google Pixel or Nintendo Switch 😃

I always see this as a good thing. It shows that the people really want a product and the manufacturer is happy because they don't have extra stock lying around unsold.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
The Nintendo Switch should be a video game console and a tablet computer.
I think this was a very conscious decision by Nintendo. Maybe they wanted customers to just have a gaming console experience and make it feel like the old day's but with some modern touches.

There are ways to browse Facebook for example on your Nintendo Switch. (Sneaky sneaky).

1494658763051.jpg

Carjackd

Trusted Member
Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Agreed, been hearing a couple reports about low stock. Not sure which is harder to get. A Google Pixel or Nintendo Switch 😃

I always see this as a good thing. It shows that the people really want a product and the manufacturer is happy because they don't have extra stock lying around unsold.
Nintendo has a way of doing that . They had the same sort of demand for the first gen wii system

BeyondtheTech

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
Hello, all. Just wanted to write my first post in here to get started on the forums, but also to ask if Nintendo had or will consider a cellular-enabled version. Seems like something this portable should've had integrated cellular capabilities for either multiplayer or syncing, or communicating during a game, etc.

Russell Courtenay

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Hope this will be better than other efforts, seems like Nintendo likes the 'thick and chunky' look, like 1990's Star Trek devices. Fine if you are looking for retro, but less useful than Apple devices these days...

Breuklen

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
I've been curious about it since so many of my younger friends obsess about it. I didn't realize what the big deal was until someone explained the versatility of it: going from a handheld to a docked system. I would love to see it in action before making a decision to buy one as a gift.

Last edited:

Carjackd

Trusted Member
Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I've been curious about it since so many of my younger friends obsess about it. I didn't realize what the big deal was until someone explained the versatility of it: going from a handheld to a docked system. I would love to see it in action before making a decision to buy one as a gift.
Ya it's kind of a big thing :)

DZStormtrooper

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
Now that the buzz has died down a little is it still worth it? I sold my PS4 awhile back to fund my new gaming PC which now I don't really play, something about sitting in that uncomfortable chair for hours on end doesn't sound appealing. So I'm really interested in the switch and would like some input.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro