New to iphone and imore

jleebiker

Jun 6, 2018
Visit site
Long time member of Android Central and Mobile Nations. Recently migrated to iphone 8. So far liking it. Few things though:

1. How do i set a specific tone for emails received on a specific account?
2. Is there a way to have an icon on the homepage to start a text message for a specific contact?
3. Also if i want to call a specific person.
4. Anyone know when Swype will be avail for ios in the us?

Thanks all!

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Long time member of Android Central and Mobile Nations. Recently migrated to iphone 8. So far liking it. Few things though:

2. Is there a way to have an icon on the homepage to start a text message for a specific contact?

Thanks all!

To answer your last question, iOS supports 3rd party keyboards with that. You have GBoard and SwiftKey as options along with other ones too. With your other questions, you can't do 2&3, if I'm not mistaken.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore!

Settings > Notifications > Mail

Nope but you can utilize 3D Touch to perform a similar action. Force press on the Messages icon and you'll get a brief list of your most used contacts. Up to three I believe.

Same process as above, just force press the Phone application icon and you'll see the "Favorites" widget.

I'm not sure. I thought it was previously available. You could try SwiftKey though. I believe Swiftkey offers a Swype style functionality.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
For 2 and 3, 3D Touch your Phone or Contacts app to quickly choose between your contacts set as favourites. It’s the most effective way I found.

jleebiker

Jun 6, 2018
Visit site
Thanks all! Got SwiftKey installed now. Not quite as good as Swype, but it'll do.

Another question... On my Droid, when I got in my car, it would auto pair with my phone and read incoming texts to me. How do I turn that on with IOS?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks all! Got SwiftKey installed now. Not quite as good as Swype, but it'll do.

Another question... On my Droid, when I got in my car, it would auto pair with my phone and read incoming texts to me. How do I turn that on with IOS?

You can enable Siri, and ask Siri to read your texts. You can reply that way as well.