Debating

boltz82

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Good Afternoon everyone,

I have been a long time member of Mobile Nations but consider myself a noob here at iMore. I, in fact, do not even own an iPhone. In school I presented a paper on Steve Jobs and long considered him an inspiration though and have liked quite a bit about Apple and iOS. I have long felt that when purchasing a phone, an expensive piece of electronics, that I want the phone to feel worthy of it's price tag. While I have often felt that Apple's use of aluminum is actually quite cheap (aluminum is really inexpensive, in fact the polycarbonate that Nokia uses is more expensive) their phones feel well made and premium. I like the fact that they provide a fluid user expierence. I have been a long time fan of Windows Phone and feel that they are the other OS that provide a fluid expierence. That being said though Windows Phone has many limitations. I do agree with many people's assessments in that iPhones "just work".

I do feel as though there are a lot of things that frustrate me with iOS too though. The products are expensive. I know that there are good factors to this, such as the fact that they keep value, but when entering a ecosystem it can be very expensive. I believe that Apple make incremental changes to the OS but after years of being more or less the same, there comes periods of time when the expierence seems stale, old hat. The ecosystem seems very restrivie at times too. All that being said there is one factor that makes me want to make the change more than anything...my seven year old son.

I am in the military and due to deploy in the next few months. My son has been taking it harder than I had hoped. He is stressed about being able to talk and see each other while I am gone. I have attempted to explain the merits of Skype to him but to no avail. He is adamant about being able to Facetime while I am gone. I guess this is something else that Apple does extremely well...marketing. My seven year old knows that Facetime will enable the two of us to communicate. Thus I am open to making the switch.

So, I am looking and debating. I obviously would like the newest and latest technology. I think we all would. However, that doesn't quite seem feasible to me right now, to buy a iPhone 6 or 6 plus. Therefore I am on the hunt for a 5s it would seem. I am a tremendous fan of tech in general though, and to be honest, Apple is often on the fore front of that. I hope to make the switch soon. Maybe if someone know of a decent place to find a 5s they could let me know, or I can sell the phones that I have now soon and I can be totally invested in the site here.

Thank you everyone for reading.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Good Afternoon everyone,

I have been a long time member of Mobile Nations but consider myself a noob here at iMore. I, in fact, do not even own an iPhone. In school I presented a paper on Steve Jobs and long considered him an inspiration though and have liked quite a bit about Apple and iOS. I have long felt that when purchasing a phone, an expensive piece of electronics, that I want the phone to feel worthy of it's price tag. While I have often felt that Apple's use of aluminum is actually quite cheap (aluminum is really inexpensive, in fact the polycarbonate that Nokia uses is more expensive) their phones feel well made and premium. I like the fact that they provide a fluid user expierence. I have been a long time fan of Windows Phone and feel that they are the other OS that provide a fluid expierence. That being said though Windows Phone has many limitations. I do agree with many people's assessments in that iPhones "just work".

I do feel as though there are a lot of things that frustrate me with iOS too though. The products are expensive. I know that there are good factors to this, such as the fact that they keep value, but when entering a ecosystem it can be very expensive. I believe that Apple make incremental changes to the OS but after years of being more or less the same, there comes periods of time when the expierence seems stale, old hat. The ecosystem seems very restrivie at times too. All that being said there is one factor that makes me want to make the change more than anything...my seven year old son.

I am in the military and due to deploy in the next few months. My son has been taking it harder than I had hoped. He is stressed about being able to talk and see each other while I am gone. I have attempted to explain the merits of Skype to him but to no avail. He is adamant about being able to Facetime while I am gone. I guess this is something else that Apple does extremely well...marketing. My seven year old knows that Facetime will enable the two of us to communicate. Thus I am open to making the switch.

So, I am looking and debating. I obviously would like the newest and latest technology. I think we all would. However, that doesn't quite seem feasible to me right now, to buy a iPhone 6 or 6 plus. Therefore I am on the hunt for a 5s it would seem. I am a tremendous fan of tech in general though, and to be honest, Apple is often on the fore front of that. I hope to make the switch soon. Maybe if someone know of a decent place to find a 5s they could let me know, or I can sell the phones that I have now soon and I can be totally invested in the site here.

Thank you everyone for reading.

Thank you for your service. When are you deploying? It might make a difference on what you would get. If you deploy after September, you are likely to find good deals on the current iPhone 6. And even better on the iPhone 5s.

Or you could look here:

http://forums.imore.com/marketplace-buy-sell-trade/

But I'm curious on when you're deploying. It might make a big difference on what's available to you.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711