New Android Convert

bkorver

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone. I just recently moved from a Nexus 6 to a 6 plus.

A little about myself... I started my smartphone life with a Blackberry Curve. Then I jumped on the Android train with the Droid Incredible circa April 2010. I got into custom ROMs, kernels, and all the other stuff that went along with it.

I lost a bet about 2 years ago and had to use an iPhone 5 for 3 months. It was torture. I liked the OS fine, I still had access to all of my Google services, but the screen was too small and I seriously despised the stock keyboard. One size does not fit all, no matter how many times Jobs said it did.

Fast forward to last week. I'm at the end of my rope with a new update on my nexus that cured none of the bugs I had, but introduced more. I asked myself bottom line, what does android offer over iOS other than cheaper hardware and choice of screen size? Then it hit me... There IS a choice in screen size! But a bigger screen means a bigger junk keyboard, right? Not anymore! SwiftKey is in iTunes! I had some soul searching to do.

I bit the bullet, got the 6 plus, and have been using it for a couple days now and came to the following conclusion. Android pushes the envelope on a lot of stuff. I feel like they use nexus users as Beta testers a lot. Stuff comes out, it's clumsy, and takes a year or two to be usable. Apple holds on to it until it works, then releases a far superior product. Case in point... Google wallet vs Passbook. It's not even a close race, and wallet had a two year head start!

Anyway, glad to be here. I look forward to contributing when I can and am sure I'll have silly questions along the way.

Ben

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore!

There is no such thing as a silly question. What you perceive as a silly question likely has many people wondering the same thing. If we can answer it, we will, and this creates a repository of answers for other folks who have the same questions. It's a win-win. :)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! Make yourself at home and enjoy the site! My sister in law updated her LG G3 from KitKat to Lollipop and had all kinds of problems. Mostly wifi related. I saw where the Nexus had issues as well. I use SwiftKey on my iPhone 5. I prefer it to the stock keyboard. It has better features and is smarter IMO. But the 3rd party keyboards will cause problems with the Messages app. It may freeze up or the Keyboard vanishes. Both those problems are easily fixed by swiping the messages app out of the multitasking tray. You'll learn about that.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮